Capt Bryan/Hannibal to Stingray City

Mama Lapin

It's our first visit to Grand Cayman (first cruise, too), so we want to do the Stingray City tour. We are booked through Grand Cayman Excursions with Capt Bryan, also called the Hannibal Catamaran Tour. I haven't seen this name mentioned on the various threads. Have any of you taken this trip? I am hoping for a good review because I will lose my deposit if I cancel it. (I know, I know, rookie mistake. I'm learning alot from these boards.... no mean comments, please...:rolleyes:) Any info on this company or your personal experience would be appreciated.

We went on the buccaneer which is also a Capt Bryan excursion but on a different catamaran and really loved it. It was one of the first times I had ever booked a private excursion online.

We had a wonderful time. The staff was wonderful.

We are trying to line up a private stingray excursion for our family of four including 2 kids ages 11 and 15. Moby Dick is fully booked, so now we are looking at an outfit called Stingray Sailing. If anyone's done this excursion with them before, or has other recommendations from a recent trip (I'll take a look at Cptn Byan one too - thanks!) I'd appreciate hearing from you. We are not drinkers so definitely not looking for a party boat, just something well run and not crowded as the ship's tours can be, preferably family-oriented. Thanks everyone!

How many people are on this tour? we are sailing in Oct. and looking for a small snorkel tour with a max. of about 8 to 10 people.

Its more than 8-10. If you want only 8-10 on your trip, then you are likely going to need to go with a private charter.

It always possible that you could sign up for a tour with one of the popular excursion companies and if not many people have signed up for the day, you could only have a few people on the trip. I know both Capt. Bryan's and Stingray Sailing go up to about a max of 28 people. That doesn't mean there will be 28 people on the catamaran, but it could be up to that number. Its all a matter of luck unless you go with a private charter.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted above, I used Captain Bryans in 2006, had a great time. I am trying to book with him again for end of Sept. I've only gotten one reply from them and they didn't answer my questions. I do not know if I have completed my reservation. I'm debating whether to book with the other Captain.

I just posted above, I used Captain Bryans in 2006, had a great time. I am trying to book with him again for end of Sept. I've only gotten one reply from them and they didn't answer my questions. I do not know if I have completed my reservation. I'm debating whether to book with the other Captain.

Did you try going to the Island Marketing site? It looks like they are now booking through that site.

the only difference between these 2 is that the Hannibal offers 2 stops (stingray sandbar and one snorkel stop) and Buccaneer offers 3 stops (stingray sandbar and 2 snorkel stops). there is also a slight difference in price. Both are run by Captain Bryan's. Both have good reviews.

Have sailed with Capt Bryan twice...would do it again in a heartbeat. Biggest difference is that he SAILS catamarans...versus the crowded diesel engine motorboats most other tours use (smell makes me gag). Will use his motor to get around as needed, but if winds are favorable direction, you will have a quiet smooth sail with a small group of people. Great snorkeling stops too..he tries to avoid crowds. I've done the stingrays enough times so just go for the sail & snorkel. Helpful staff...phone him direct if need more details on your booking.

ps: Captain Bryan lists two cell phone numbers in addition to the office number on his website under the contact us tab. His website is exactly what a company named CaptainBryans would normally use and it has more details/photos on the cats and tours, map to office, etc.

I try to find more info via http://www.cayman.org/captainbryan/ but show up a black screen, does he hs a different website?

Thanks!

I thought what I wrote was clear, but re-reading posting rules, since I am ... "a Legitimate third-party recommendations/reviews for tour operators/guides/businesses *must* be posted in response to a request for the information", I will now post the actual link.

http://captainbryans.com/

I went on the recommendation by a colleague to go with Capt Bryan. He took us to sting ray city to check out them out and snorkling afterwards.

While the animals are amazing (stealthy!), Capt Bryan seemed out of sorts.

When we attempting to dock, it took Capt Bryan a lot longer than the other boats. I would see others arrive later than us and they'd stop their boats, their guests jumping into the water, and we're still farting around trying to sort out ours!

Perhaps he was having a bad day...but my experience was mediocre with him. We went to Grand Cayman's Sept 02/2010 with the Liberty of the Seas.

Sorry you had a mediocre experience..did you ask why anchoring was a problem? The tour operators are careful to protect the stingrays and their environment (the sand bar bottom) and certainly don’t want to hurt them, just as "jumping into the water" and stepping on them not a good thing. The tour operators also give each other space...must be all sorts of unwritten rules like fishing ground rights a casual rider doesn’t realize unless staff tells them (or you overhear the grumbling about a violator). One time as we headed toward the spot, the captain just decided it was too crowded and headed off to snorkel first. Went back to the rays later after the big boats cleared out. Weather, wind, currents, and wild creatures all could have been a factor.

I was planning to book with Captain Bryan but also having difficulty with website. The other website identified as booking for him shows 2 trips - one in the morning and another which gets back too late in the afternoon.

Would love to hear from someone who went on the 3-stop sail recently?

We booked it with Buccaneer Stingray City Catamaran Cayman

Another vote from me, we loved this catamaran.

If you are looking for an incredible private trip, try the Stingray City Outrage, its an excellent boat, you can go to stingray city, snorkeling,tubing and star fish beach. Its more expensive but great if you are looking for a private trip.

Archived