Boston early

gracee

We arrive in Boston at 7AM (Thurs Oct 7th) and would like to take the Old Town Trolley, but it doesn't start until 9AM and the masses from the ship will be lining up. Would like to start around 8AM w/ a taxi ride to Faneuil Hall area or North End to start the 'trail' and have a little breakfast before picking up the trolley at a less crowded location. Any ideas where to taxi to, where to have a coffee and bagel and what can we do at 8AM? Your help is appreciated!

Gracee - I'd take a cab to Faneuil Hall. Actually, if it were me, I'd take the Silver Line to South Station, transfer to the Red Line, go 2 stops to Park St., and walk the beginning of the Freedom Trail from Boston Common to Faneuil Hall. At that hour the "T" will be running frequently and it will be a quick trip - no people to speak of on the Silver Line (all going the other way) but a little more crowded on the Red Line.

What you have to understand about the Old Town Trolley is that it really starts at Faneuil Hall. The folks who get on at the pier are on the "loop" part of the trolley route that scoops folks up to bring them to the start where they transfer to the main trolley loop. You will end up ahead of them all.

that sounds great! Got any ideas for a light breakfast once we get to Faneiul Hall area?

Depends what you're looking for.

There are bagel & coffee places a'plenty.

About two blocks to the left there is a Panera Bread (on Atlantic Ave), there are plenty of Dunkin Donut & a few Starbucks around FH. I'm not sure what's open within FH at that time.

Walking through FH, across the street and through Govt Center (up the stairs), there are plenty of resturants there too.

Good luck

If you know for sure you are going to use the "T", I would buy it online withh a $5.00 stored value. You only need one and they don't charge to send it to you. With a Charlie Card you pay only $1.70/ride instead of $2.00. You can add value when you get into the subway in Boston.

You should not have any problem finding a place to get a light breakfast, but why wouldn't you want to eat on the ship?

We arrive in Boston at 7AM (Thurs Oct 7th) and would like to take the Old Town Trolley, but it doesn't start until 9AM and the masses from the ship will be lining up. Would like to start around 8AM w/ a taxi ride to Faneuil Hall area or North End to start the 'trail' and have a little breakfast before picking up the trolley at a less crowded location. Any ideas where to taxi to, where to have a coffee and bagel and what can we do at 8AM? Your help is appreciated!

There is not much to do at 8am since most of the attractions/museums open at 9am. There is a small casual restaurant in the North End called Anthony's at the corner of Fleet Street and Commercial. You could get a quick bite and wander the North End and look at some of the sites (Paul Revere House or Old North Church) before they open. There is also a great little cafe (can't remember the name, sorry) right across the street from the Old North Church. I've been there many times for a coffee and a muffin.

If you're going to try the subway another option would be to take the Silver Line to the Red Line at South Station and go right out to Harvard. You could start your day there wandering Harvard Yard and there are plenty of cafes in Harvard Square.

If they go early to Park St. on the Silver Line/Red Line, they can walk that part of the Freedom Trail between Boston Common and Faneuil Hall between 8 and 9 am. This part of the trail is mostly walking and looking - if there are any attractions that are not yet open, they can circle back later to see them.

If they go early to Park St. on the Silver Line/Red Line, they can walk that part of the Freedom Trail between Boston Common and Faneuil Hall between 8 and 9 am. This part of the trail is mostly walking and looking - if there are any attractions that are not yet open, they can circle back later to see them.

I am really liking this idea--we can look around before everyone gets there and beat the crowds. Besides, taking the Silver Line then Red Line sounds like fun too! We don't have opportunity to use public transportation.

We will check out Anthony's too tho

Old Town Trolley runs a loop from Faneuil Hall to the cruise pier with stops at South Station and the Westin and maybe other places. You have to return to Faneuil Hall to get this trolley.

I am glad you mentioned that because I didn't think about the time to get back to the port from Faneuil Hall--I am thinking we just stay on the trolley and it will drop us off there--good point! Thanks!

Gracee, we are in Boston 2 days before you on Princess and they do a shuttle bus service to and from the ship to Quincy Market, which I believe is next to Faneuil Hall at a nominal charge. This sounds to me like a sensible and cheaper way of picking up the trolley bus tour at 9am, if your cruise line offers the same facility. You have the guarantee that if you get their shuttle bus on the way back, you will not miss the boat!

There are only a couple hundred Dunkin' Donuts downtown. :D There's a bagel joint in Quincy Market (Faneuil Hall). There's also a Finagle A Bagel in Center Plaza (near Government Center and close enough to Quincy Market. There is another on Tremont near the Common and Downtown Crossing.

Archived