HAL Pricing

woodscruise

I have just been looking at the Zaandam cruise in December 2011 to the South Pacific, and compared the costs of an outside H grade cabin. From a US website the costing for the stateroom was USD 3399.24 (incl taxes) and the same stateroom from HAL website was AUD 4301.12 (incl taxes). This would mean the exchange rate is 0.7903. I don't remember the exchange rate been that this year! :(

I have just been looking at the Zaandam cruise in December 2011 to the South Pacific, and compared the costs of an outside H grade cabin. From a US website the costing for the stateroom was USD 3399.24 (incl taxes) and the same stateroom from HAL website was AUD 4301.12 (incl taxes). This would mean the exchange rate is 0.7903. I don't remember the exchange rate been that this year! :(

This year's exchange rate is not really relevant. The pricing is based on what HAL's finance department expect next year's exchange rate to be (which is understandable, considering you would pay next year, and they need to pay fuel, food, staff, etc. etc. next year as well). Since they will be hesitant to risk a loss on exchange rates, they hedge their bets and factor in a little "safety net" as well.

Now, you can ponder whether or not you expect the AUD to be stronger or weaker to the USD at the end of next year. Based on that, you can book with an Australian or American TA. You may beat HAL's finance guys to it. ;)

This year's exchange rate is not really relevant. The pricing is based on what HAL's finance department expect next year's exchange rate to be (which is understandable' date=' considering you would pay next year, and they need to pay fuel, food, staff, etc. etc. next year as well). Since they will be hesitant to risk a loss on exchange rates, they hedge their bets and factor in a little "safety net" as well.

Now, you can ponder whether or not you expect the AUD to be stronger or weaker to the USD at the end of next year. Based on that, you can book with an Australian or American TA. You may beat HAL's finance guys to it. ;)[/quote']

Wrong, us Aussies are not allowed to book with US TA's.

Prehaps they also need to rise US prices, to correspond with prices charged in foreign countries. I bet that wouldn't go down with American cruisers.

The cruiselines are always trying to overcharge us Aussies.

Wrong, us Aussies are not allowed to book with US TA's.

Prehaps they also need to rise US prices, to correspond with prices charged in foreign countries. I bet that wouldn't go down with American cruisers.

The cruiselines are always trying to overcharge us Aussies.

I have met multiple Europeans over the years that have booked through a US TA with no problems. When this issue came up a number of years ago on these boards, the problem was that those having a problem were trying to do cruise air. Those having no problem took care of their own flights and pre and post cruise arrangements.

That's an interesting thread, thank you!

However, I read on page 37:

Well folks' date=' we have just booked our first Celebrity cruise! Who knows we might like it more than Princess and be converts.

We booked it overseas with an OS TA and are paying US$1499 each for a balcony cabin with US$200 OBC per cabin. It is a 14 day caribbean cruise over the Thanksgiving holidays. That is $100 per day for a 5 star cruise ship.

Princess better wake up soon or more people will realise and start talking with their feet.:mad:[/quote']

and on page 11:

I email HAL yesterday and asked them why I could not book a cruise through a US agent and why we, as Australians, had to pay more for our cruises. Below is their response:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. Our international guests have the option to book with us directly online at www.hollandamerica.com. On the home page you can utilize the Cruise Finder and search for your desired sailing. The system will walk you through the booking process.

Or, you can utilize a travel professional. Holland America Line has International General Sales Agencies throughout the world. To find your nearest Sales Agency please log onto www.hollandamerica.com. On the home page at the top of the page click Contact Us. Once the Call Us tab opens, on the left hand side click International Sales. Scroll down the list until you find your country of residence.

Holland America Line encourages you to book under your own currency which allows you access to the benefits associated with your local consumer protection laws. We look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future. We are confident our signature of excellence will surpass your expectations.

Kind Regards,

Laurie C.

Holland America Line

In summary, this indicates to me that some cruise lines (e.g., Princess) do prohibit US TAs from booking for AUS customers, and some (e.g., Celebrity) don't.

Since HAL emphasizes they have TAs all over the world and "encourages" you to book in your country of residence (what else could they possibly say without alienating Australian agents), I believe to read between the lines that they will accept your reservation even if made through an American TA.

I may of course be totally wrong here, but if I were woodscruise, I'd at least check with an American agent or two. ;)

Just get your Aussie TA to book your cruise in US dollars---then you pay the going bank rate plus two points for using your credit card for a foreign exchange.

Our Canadian TA booked our upcoming cruises in US dollars for us as HAL was charging an outrageous rate. She saved us around $3000, based on the rate on the day of booking. Of course that will fluctuate up or down a bit before final payment, but the savings will still be very substantial.

If you go this route in the future, make sure any Future Cruise Credits that you buy while onboard are bought in US dollars as well. We were able to have our Canadian dollar FCC's converted to US but it took a week of wrangling between our TA and HAL, so I just bought FCC's in US dollars on our latest cruise---makes life simpler for everyone.

Now' date=' you can ponder whether or not you expect the AUD to be stronger or weaker to the USD at the end of next year. Based on that, you can book with an Australian or American TA. You may beat HAL's finance guys to it. ;)[/quote']

Lately, all the discount web sites have been asking if one is an American or Canadian citizen, before it will allow me to go to the reservations page. It doesn't look like anyone from other countries can now book on these web sites.

I got so annoyed at the exchange rate used by HAL that I took out a US credit card - one bank only charges $25 per year for this and DH's card is free. Then I opened a US dollar account - so no more exchange rates back and forth.

when the dollar is good I put a chunk more into the account for future cruises.

We once had to cancel a cruise and not only had paid a huge exchange rate - 30 cents on the dollar, but got none of that back when the money was refunded - pay high when you buy and get low back when you sell - so we lost a lost of cash in that deal.

Last year we booked through an American TA and received an excellent discount.

We are now planning our cruise for next year and the same facility is now not permitted by Australian (and others) cruisers. Its perfectly okay if you are North American but those from this end of the world are weeded out in the process and charged more by having to deal directly with HAL.

Shame on Hal!

Archived