I think we have a problem!!!

kaeffe

On July 23 DH booked a cruise and paid for it in full. We leave out Sept.6. I usually handle booking our cruises, making all the plans, arranging tours, getting travel insurance. But he was to handle this one. I just found out he didn't get the travel insurance. I just went to insurancemytrip.com today to get it and if I'm understanding it correctly, because he booked and paid for it 24 days ago, we won't have existing condition coverage??? DH has a heart condition (under control). Also he is Airport Police and if there were to be another 9/11 type thing his vacation could be canceled. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Should we look into the ship's insurance? What does that cover?

On July 23 DH booked a cruise and paid for it in full. We leave out Sept.6. I usually handle booking our cruises, making all the plans, arranging tours, getting travel insurance. But he was to handle this one. I just found out he didn't get the travel insurance. I just went to insurancemytrip.com today to get it and if I'm understanding it correctly, because he booked and paid for it 24 days ago, we won't have existing condition coverage??? DH has a heart condition (under control). Also he is Airport Police and if there were to be another 9/11 type thing his vacation could be canceled. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Should we look into the ship's insurance? What does that cover?

It's probably way too late to get ship's insurance (even though I don't think you said which one you're cruising on). Of all policies I know, it's too late to get any coverage with either pre-existing conditions covered or cancel for any reason (such as work obligations not usually covered in a regular policy), so at this point any coverage purchased will likely just cover for the standard unexpected stuff (new / unexpected illness, injury, death in the family etc).

Except for the loss of the pre-ex waiver (available from nobody at this time), you should be good to go with any decent policy with Work Reasons coverage. (Although check the fine print; some policies exclude military and law enforcement.)

Like the pre-ex waiver, you will not be able to obtain "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage from anybody at this point.

SirWired

I spoke with a representative of a travel insurance company recently with regard to the pre-existing conditions issue. My spouse and I are planning a cruise next year, and we did not purchase travel insurance within 14 days of making the initial deposit. According to the representative I spoke with, if insurance is purchased now, and a claim is subsequently submitted - a "lookback" period (usually 90/180 days) will be applied. The insurance company will look to see if there were any changes to your "under control" pre-existing condition within the preceding 90/180 days, starting from the date that you purchase the insurance. If your husband's condition has not changed (same drugs, etc), you should be ok. Hope this helps.

Archived