Enforcement of the 50 lb luggage weight limit?

We leave one week from today on the Elation on our first cruise!!! Seems like this vacation would never get here, and now that it has, I'm starting to freak out a little. So much to do to prepare!!!

Anyway, we are spending the weekend with relatives...not sure if we'll be able to weigh our bags prior to boarding...so I was wondering if Carnival strictly enforces this limit. I would hate to be over a few pounds and never see my stuff again! :eek:

We are not flying, so we don't have to worry about that. Carnival's website and cruise documents state the max dimensions and weight for luggage (which is where I got the 50 lbs). I hadn't read about anyone discussing it, so I figured it probably wasn't a big deal...just wanted to make sure.

We leave one week from today on the Elation on our first cruise!!! Seems like this vacation would never get here, and now that it has, I'm starting to freak out a little. So much to do to prepare!!!

Anyway, we are spending the weekend with relatives...not sure if we'll be able to weigh our bags prior to boarding...so I was wondering if Carnival strictly enforces this limit. I would hate to be over a few pounds and never see my stuff again! :eek:

If you have more than 50 pounds in ONE suitcase for even a week-long cruise, you are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over packed!! Take 1/2 of it out and you'll be fine. I promise. :D

It may also have something to do with Occupational Health and safety for the porters and baggage handler. 50 lbs may be the magic number, as anything over that can be a bit of a strain. But it would be per bag, so just get two smaller instead of one giant one if you really need more then 50 lbs worth!

CCL request not over 50 pounds, but it is not required (yet) 50 pounds or less per bag. But agree with post above, take some out and you WILL be fine. We take one bag for both of us and no problems. Still have things I don't wear or use.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kat

If you are flying, you've got a problem. If you are not flying, the limit on the ship is 200 pounds per person.

Does that include the person? If so, I can bring about 17 pounds of luggage. My wife will do better with about 85 pounds. :)

Good catch. I should have said the limit is 200 pounds of luggage per person.

They never weigh your backs. It's more for the stevedores so they don't have to break their backs, or the ship staff that deliver your luggage. Even if it's on wheels, THEY have to lift it onto something.

If you can't lift it, odds are they can't either.

We have never been checked by the cruise lines, but last year by the airlines we were checked and had to pay a fortune!

Last year, we stood in the middle of LAX and shifted stuff in suitcases so they were not over 50 pounds to save the fortune they charge for overweight luggage....moved some stuff to my carry on....in a "senior moment" one of the things we moved was a brand new 32 ounce bottle of shampoo....of course that was thrown away trying to go through security...guess it was cheaper than the overweight baggage fee though....

Archived