Pre-cruise Oct 24,2010 HELP!

BOATCAT66

DH and I are on Celebrity Summit Oct.24 to San Juan. We need help with coming in a day early. I can get a better price flying in to LGA than EWK. Would it be better to stay in Bayonne area or in NYC? We will have a lot of luggage( DH is a Golfer..Have clubs will travel) I think a private car would be best. We can do some sightseeing in NYC or not. So I quess my question is do the transfer to Bayonne on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning? You help would be greatly appreiciated.

DH and I are on Celebrity Summit Oct.24 to San Juan. We need help with coming in a day early. I can get a better price flying in to LGA than EWK. Would it be better to stay in Bayonne area or in NYC? We will have a lot of luggage( DH is a Golfer..Have clubs will travel) I think a private car would be best. We can do some sightseeing in NYC or not. So I quess my question is do the transfer to Bayonne on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning? You help would be greatly appreiciated.

What is your hotel budget? If it is $300, it is a no brainer, book Manhattan the night before.

Definitely get a car service from LGA and to the cruise terminal.

What is your hotel budget? If it is $300, it is a no brainer, book Manhattan the night before.

Definitely get a car service from LGA and to the cruise terminal.

We have this same cruise on "hold" until tomorrow while we work out flights, ground transportation, hotels, etc. We're coming in from Dallas and LGA is so much cheaper than EWR that we're going with that. I guess depending on the time you land at LGA will determine whether or not you have time to see anything in Manhattan proper. I will tell you from my experience that the hotels in the Manhattan are 3x as much as the ones near Bayonne, Jersey City, etc. I've heard that there is a Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island that will shuttle you to the port free. It shows a $139 rate on their webpage and it also shows the shuttle service. The Hampton Inn is a little cheaper and they share the shuttle with Hilton. http://www.dial7.com is the car service that we have used 3 different times. Their fee from LGA to Staten Island is $67 plus tolls and tips. Right now I think that's what we're going to do. The thing that might change is the room. I may take a stab at bidding it on PRICELINE. Last year I got a 4* for $55.00 in Jersey City which isn't too terribly far from Bayonne. Hope this has helped.

Ernie G

I live in the DFW area. Our son lives in Flower Mound. I have booked our flight out of DFW to LGA on the 23rd of Oct. The price was so much cheaper than EWR. Still looking at a private car to take us to the ship.

I'm waiting on doing Priceline for the hotel, when it gets closer. Are you doing the back to back to San Juan?

Ernie G - you have an excellent plan - probably the most economical choice for flying into LGA and sailing from Bayonne. The hotel is nice and reasonable and, most of all, comes with free shuttle service to the port in Bayonne. You are staying in NYC (yes - Staten Island is part of NYC), so you are taking advantage of the better cab/car service rates within the city. If you don't want to eat at the hotel, there is a Charlie Brown's not far away.

I wouldn't bet on getting a $55 4* Jersey City hotel on Priceline or Hotwire this year. Every time I check Hotwire, the 4* Jersey City hotels are well over $150/night.

Boatcat66 - I'd seriously consider Ernie G's plan for yourself.

Ernie G

I live in the DFW area. Our son lives in Flower Mound. I have booked our flight out of DFW to LGA on the 23rd of Oct. The price was so much cheaper than EWR. Still looking at a private car to take us to the ship.

I'm waiting on doing Priceline for the hotel, when it gets closer. Are you doing the back to back to San Juan?

BOATCAT66: We actually live in FM too..... At present we were are leaving on the 23rd, but out of LOVE field on Southwest for $79 plus fees. We are not doing the B2B because this will be our 3rd cruise since April and we also had our annual family vacation in Destin....not to mention I have 2 trips coming up before this cruise actually sails. So this is just another short "getaway" for hubby and I. I actually still have to finalize the cruise today and the return airfare. Better get busy or I won't be on the ship.

Ernie G

And I thought we cruise alot!! Hey, if you have the time, go all you can. We try and do a 2 week cruise every year around October or November. I have reserved a room at the Country Inn in Elizabeth for $179 everything included ( room, transfer to ship and breakfast.) I saw pictures on CC and it didn't look bad for overnight. We arrive at LGA at 3:00pm. I think we will reserve a van, because of DH's golf clubs. If it works out that you arrive around the same time "want to share the ride?"

I wouldn't bet on getting a $55 4* Jersey City hotel on Priceline or Hotwire this year. Every time I check Hotwire, the 4* Jersey City hotels are well over $150/night.

Boatcat66 - I'd seriously consider Ernie G's plan for yourself.

Jersey City hotels are almost the same cost as Manhattan hotels during peak season.

Yes Staten Island is a part of NYC but will be a long trip to Manhattan, I would look to see if you could get a cheaper hotel on Manhattan if you want to see the city. Call or email Dail 7 to see what the cost would be from Manhattan hotel to the Cruise Ship. Search different websites for hotel prices, prices aren't what they use to be.

FYI - The Hilton Garden Inn has a free shuttle service to the "famous" and free, Staten Island Ferry. Take the ferry & pass by the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and then once in Manhattan all subways are right there to take you to mid-town, Times Square etc. Welcome to NY:)

Archived