Costa and kids

Jacob0525

My wife is hesitant about going on the Costa Atlantica the week of Thanksgiving because of all of the negative comments about the cruise line. The rate is cheap because our two boys would sail for just the taxes and fees. Our boys are 8 and 5. Is the kids program decent? We have never sailed on Costa before, so we are used to Carnival and RCCL. Any input would be great. Thanks.

We were on the Costa Atlantica in March (Spring Break) with 5 kids, ages 8-14 (2 separate families). The 3 youngest (ages 8, 8, and 9) loved it. The 10 year old boy liked it most of the time, but they did put the younger ages with some of the older kids. Your 2 might be in the same grouping. The 10 year old felt like he was being treated like a baby when he had to dress up in paper costumes and have his face painted. Except for those 2 activities, he wanted to go to the program every day. The other 3 loved every minute of it. I don't know if they always have the ages together, or if it depends on the number of kids on the ship. But, during Spring Break, there were lots of kids there. We have booked another cruise on the Costa Atlantica for Thanksgiving this year, but it will only be me and my 15 year old. Don't worry about the kids. They'll have more going on than you will!

We cruised on Costa with our 9 year old in January. She liked the program. There were lots of activities for the kids to participate in. The kids club honestly never closes during the day. It says they are shutting down for lunch but if you need someone to watch your kid there is someone there. Please note DD liked the program but she was only one of 5 English speaking children who were registered for the kids program. The staff was wonderful making sure DD had English movies to watch. They also made a real effort to make sure she understood what was going on. :)

We sailed on Atlantica this past January with 4 kids, aged 11.5, 11.5, 8,5. I was nervous too as my kids are used to Disney's kids clubs. The older 2 were girls and only went to the kids club once or twice. They pretty much kept themselves occupied. The boys were 8 & 5. The first time my 8 year old saw the club, he said "You have got to be kidding me!" He was not impressed with the space and my thoughts of having some kid free time went out the window! However, he surprised me because it turned out he had fun that night and both boys asked to go back to the club late every afternoon as well as after dinner every night. The counselors were very good and kept the kids busy. It wasn't always a listed activity, but they took them to the show one night and up to the deck party another night.

At the end of the cruise the club has a talent show where all of the kids perform on stage. It was very cute.

My 5 year old loved that they received "money" from the club each time they attended. They saved their "money" and at the end of the cruise was able to buy all sorts of things at the club. They came home with backpacks, frisbees, hats, wallets, etc.

All the kids also enjoyed the pools (they pretty much had them to themselves most times) and the waterslide. One pool has a retractable cover which was nice because the weather was not great for a couple of days.

There was also karaoke in one of the lounges each evening before dinner that they all liked as well. There is also an arcade onboard.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter, 7, loved the kids club on the Atlantica when we went on Easter week in April. We were thinking about doing it again for Thanksgiving (especially since kids are free again) but I think we are going to stay a little closer to home and sail the Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston instead.

Anyway, she chose to be at the kids club most of the time we were on the ship. It was great because she is an only child and we were afraid that she would get lonely on the ship- plus my hubby and I wanted to do some grown up stuff. They give you a schedule of all the kids activities on the first day and then you can pick and choose which ones to go to. We would go and check on her every hour or so, but she never wanted to come back. We practically had to force her to leave to go to bed when we early excursions the next day.

It also helped that she had friends on board. We noticed on the roll call that there were a couple of girls her age coming on the same cruise. We asked for the parents' email addresses and the girls were able to email back and forth for a month before the cruise. Then once they met on the ship, they were already old friends. We were even able to tour the Mayan ruins together on the same excursion in Mexico. It was a wonderful experience for all of them.

Do not be afraid of the bad reviews. Cruising is just like everything else in life - it is what you make of it. You just can't please everyone. My family honestly had nothing to complain about - except the fact that they served all of the seafood with all of the parts still attached. The problem was very simply solved when I stopped ordering the seafood. :)

I was on the Classica last year in Asia. I will be on the Romantica this November also in Asia. I took a then 4 nearly 5 year old. The kids club was not very busy I think there was maybe 8 kids in total. Mine had a ball! He actually went to the kids club more than I would have liked. I barely saw him for 2 weeks! Although at various times the kids would pop up in the strangest places. One evening, I was sitting in the main bar having a drink after dinner when in paraded the kids club- all dressed up in costume. They proceeded to take over the stage and give an impromptu performance. They got amazing applause! They also appeared at the shows that were suitable for kids in the evening. One night they had a special kids only dinner with the Captain- early and came back with photos of the Captain eating hot dogs with them! I don;t think this was actually planned but it just happened. Some mornings when I would have liked to have slept longer, I was being dragged put out of bed with a voice saying, "Mummy hurry up, I HAVE to get to Kids Club!" Often I would go to collect him in the evening and there would be a note on the door of the Kids Club saying- gone to show back soon or gone to raid kitchen! I am sure my child saw more of the boat than I did!

I was on the Classica last year in Asia. I will be on the Romantica this November also in Asia. I took a then 4 nearly 5 year old. The kids club was not very busy I think there was maybe 8 kids in total. Mine had a ball! He actually went to the kids club more than I would have liked. I barely saw him for 2 weeks! Although at various times the kids would pop up in the strangest places. One evening, I was sitting in the main bar having a drink after dinner when in paraded the kids club- all dressed up in costume. They proceeded to take over the stage and give an impromptu performance. They got amazing applause! They also appeared at the shows that were suitable for kids in the evening. One night they had a special kids only dinner with the Captain- early and came back with photos of the Captain eating hot dogs with them! I don;t think this was actually planned but it just happened. Some mornings when I would have liked to have slept longer, I was being dragged put out of bed with a voice saying, "Mummy hurry up, I HAVE to get to Kids Club!" Often I would go to collect him in the evening and there would be a note on the door of the Kids Club saying- gone to show back soon or gone to raid kitchen! I am sure my child saw more of the boat than I did!

Hi, read your post with much interest as we will be travelling on Classica next January with our son 12 & daughter 10. Do you know if kids their age were involved in the kids club? We went on a P&O cruise in February this year and the kids activities were fantastic and really age appropriate. We hope they will have a similar experience on Costa Classica (although they are already convinced that nothing will beat the Pacific Sun!).

Thanks

Mel

Please could you tell me when the clubs start on embarkation day? Is there a session on the first evening? If yes did you use it? When have been assigned late sitting unfortunately so I was wondering for the first night before we can get it changed if the children could eat early in the buffet and then go to club while we eat together? Has anyone done this?

Please could you tell me when the clubs start on embarkation day? Is there a session on the first evening? If yes did you use it? When have been assigned late sitting unfortunately so I was wondering for the first night before we can get it changed if the children could eat early in the buffet and then go to club while we eat together? Has anyone done this?

Yes, you can feed them early and then take them to the club. I did not do this on Costa but I have done it on other cruise lines. DD did not like the buffet (2 pizzas and 4 sides) at all and actually would beg us to go to dinner in the dinning room.

Hi, read your post with much interest as we will be travelling on Classica next January with our son 12 & daughter 10. Do you know if kids their age were involved in the kids club? We went on a P&O cruise in February this year and the kids activities were fantastic and really age appropriate. We hope they will have a similar experience on Costa Classica (although they are already convinced that nothing will beat the Pacific Sun!).

Thanks

Mel

Youtube videos of the Pacific Sun during a storm (believe from 2008)

Costa is thinking about using the disposal method in the second film to dispose of the firdt sitting passengers in the MDR.:D

Ron

Thanks

Mel

I'm sorry but can't really help too much with this one. There were no kids on board in the 10 year age group on our particular cruise. There were some teens but they had their own separate room and totally different activities even different staff. I do remember chatting to some one day who mentioned they were having a great time but other than than I know nothing else.

Youtube videos of the Pacific Sun during a storm (believe from 2008)

Costa is thinking about using the disposal method in the second film to dispose of the firdt sitting passengers in the MDR.:D

Ron

Hi Ron - that is just incredible! My worst nightmare :eek:

LOL - agree, great way to move on first sitting!

Cheers

Mel

I'm sorry but can't really help too much with this one. There were no kids on board in the 10 year age group on our particular cruise. There were some teens but they had their own separate room and totally different activities even different staff. I do remember chatting to some one day who mentioned they were having a great time but other than than I know nothing else.

Thanks for replying.

I am sure they will enjoy themselves even if no kids club is running! It will be different this time anyway, as on the Sun we had several days at sea, where on this cruise we will be at a port everyday - so I expect we will be out sightseeing each day, which will only leave a few hours to fill in the evening.

Cheers

Mel

Archived