No Show or Cancel?

stacieps

I have checked. The problem is none of the 3 are US born citizens. 2 have parents who are naturalized US citizens - the minors are not given naturlizations cards, they are instructed to get passports for proof of citizenship (they had passports they expired early this year). So, not as simple as US born citizen who can just use a birth certificate. They did not re-apply for passports until 7/16 (with the fee increase mid-july, the application numbers were up, so they are taking a full 6 weeks now)

The 3rd girl is not a US citizen, she is a Permanent Resident. Her passport from her home country has expired. She cannot leave the US without her home country passport, or she can be denied re-entry. So, again, not a simple solution - if she doesn't have her passport, she cannot go. She did not go to her embassy unitl 7/30.

So, keeping my fingers crossed that passports come in the next 3 days, but I've done all I can at this point (I had the parents all sign a document in December agreeing to get all documentation/passports for the trip) - I know whatever girls make it will have a good time.

As a U.S. born citizen I have taken so much so granted. I can't imagine living in another country only to find out that my passport expired. Tell the girls my thoughts are with them and hopefully they will be able to take another cruise in a year or two. That is if you survive this trip (just kidding). Enjoy your cruise. You are wonderful to put this together for the girls.

I grew up in the late 50s and early 60s and the town I grew up in was a small country town that did not have a girl scout troop. But on the bright side my brother did have a boy's scout troop he belonged to. :p

OMG as a Girl Scout leader myself who just took our troop on a cruise earlier this month, I do NOT understand how you have been dealing with this with such grace!! I would have been beside myself with anxiety!!

I thought it was bad enough that my girls couldn't make a decision on what we would do in port! Thankfully I only had to deal with one girl who did not have a passport yet, and she got hers taken care of about 2 months before the cruise. Easy easy.

I would have been threatening those parents that they had to pay the troop back if they didn't get their girls' paperwork in order PRONTO!

Hopefully this was the most stressful portion of your trip, all your girls will get along like best friends for the whole trip, and no one will have a meltdown!! HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Wow...that is really nice of your troop to pay for these kids and really stupid of these parents to have NOT taken care of this, especially since you all apparently sent out the info

Technically, troop money belongs to the girls, so it is the girls' decision what to do with the money. If they earned the money and they are following all GS guidelines, and they have a (wonderful) troop leader who is willing to assist them in their goals, then they should be able to choose what to do with their own money. The leader really isn't the one who gets to decide what to do with the money, she's just along for the ride. I count myself VERY lucky that my girls decided to go on a cruise -- that was one activity I was HAPPY to accompany the girls on! (and yes, the troop generally pays for the adults to go since they can't go without the required number of adults!) :D

Archived