Suggestions 1st Cruise on Carnival Glory

portlandgreg

Hi:

I'm taking my first cruise on Sep 6 on Carnival's Glory fom NY to Nova Scotia. I am flying from Oregon to Phila on the 5th to hook up with DM. Then we are taking Amtrak on the morning of Sep 6 from Philly to NYP. I am stressing over the flight from Oregon to Phila the day before. I just keep imagining them losing my checked baggage. Does anyone take an emergency carryon bag just in case? What items would you pack in the carryon? Also, we are scheduled to arrive Penn Station at 10:40am. Is this enough time to get to the dock and check in or should we take an earlier train? Also, is there an ATM machine on the ship? If not, how much cash should I carry on for tips, etc? As the departure date approaches, I've been getting more anxious about what can go wrong between the time I leave my front door until I actually board the ship. I don't care what happens on the way home. Also, any suggestions for a first timer? Thanks for all your input.

You should always carry anything of value, and anything that you MUST have..Rx's, jewelry, etc....in your hand. NEVER check anything of value.

We also carry a change of underwear, and a lightweight change of clothes...just in case! However, we fly in the day prior, so that should a bag go missing, we have time to find it and get it back!

You need to stop the fretting...what happens, happens...nothing you can do about it. You'll make yourself sick if you keep worrying about things you can't control!

And, make sure you put your itinerary and cell phone # in an unlocked, outside pocket of every bag you do check...if they lose it, they'll know who it belongs to, and can easily get it back to you!

Hi:

Also, we are scheduled to arrive Penn Station at 10:40am. Is this enough time to get to the dock and check in or should we take an earlier train? Also, is there an ATM machine on the ship? If not, how much cash should I carry on for tips, etc?

Depends on what time you have to board the ship. If boarding time is up until 3:00 PM, that would be plenty of time.

As for cash, you can never have too much. But, you can get by without a lot, as long as you put everything on your credit card. This would include tips for your steward and the dining staff.

As for tipping porters and others, I find it good to take a lot of singles and five dollar bills.

Archived