When to go to the port

Cathy p

We are going on the Zuiderdam 3/05 to St Thomas. We are getting in the day before so naturally when morning comes and I am going to be let's go and my hubby will be why there is going to be a line. Sooooo we have an SS suite. I read that we have a seperate line to stand it I want to enjoy it all. In other words how early should be get there:confused: I will print the responses to show him even if they are not as early as I would like it to be.:D

My DW and I sail from San Juan, PR 90% of the time. There, they permit you to begin the embarkation process at 11:15 AM. Not many pax are aware that they can begin the process this early. The recommended time for check-in is usually 1PM for a 10:00 PM departure. I've boarde other ships for ^PM departures as early as 10:00 AM. We alsways do a pre/post cruise stay too. Its more convenient and certainly less stressful.

John

We are going on the Zuiderdam 3/05 to St Thomas. We are getting in the day before so naturally when morning comes and I am going to be let's go and my hubby will be why there is going to be a line. Sooooo we have an SS suite. I read that we have a seperate line to stand it I want to enjoy it all. In other words how early should be get there:confused: I will print the responses to show him even if they are not as early as I would like it to be.:D
I assume you sail from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). Boarding can start as early as 12 Noon, but usually a bit later.

I suggest you do as we do. If you have a rental car, go by the pier at around 10:00am and check in your luggage ship-side. That way it will be in your room long before you can board so there's no waiting once you board.

Then take a drive around the area until, say, 1:00pm or so, check in your car and take the rental agency's free shuttle back to the pier and just walk in, check in and board, hassle free.

However, we are flying in the day before and just taking the shuttle from the Courtyard to the pier. Once we get there is there anywhere to go on foot. I also read about some water taxies. Is that possible or do we just stand and look at each other?:p

We always get to the pier as early as legally possible! (Yes, we've been held offf by a security guard or two. But we are just very early people. Nothing better than being onboard, having your second or third embarkation cocktail and watching all those poor late saps standing in line to board. As soon as those doors/gates/pier opens, we are there. You know, on a 7 day cruise, you really only get 6 days of cruising, so why not make that first day as long onboard as possible? For this reason (and weather concerns) we always fly in at least a day or two before the cruise. You'll be so suprised as to how those "late comers" look when they are trying to find their cabins for the lifeboat drill and you've already got a lay of the land....um...ship!

Early Squirrly.....that's our vote!

Mrsfuzzmo

HAL does early embarkation at Port Everglades. They will start checking people in around 11:00 and boarding will begin around 11:30-11:45. Also, you might want to double-check on that separate line for SS suites. The separate line that I've seen is for S and PS/PH since those categories get priority boarding.

We did the same cruise in July and had a suite. We got to the pier at about 11:00 (because I was anxious) and they opened the doors about 11:45, we then preceeded to a seperate area for check in. It went very quickly, then once on board we had someone take us to our suite, which was ready :) then had some lunch and waited to leave FLL.

Enjoy your cruise

Hi. We are traveling to LA the day befor our Island Princess Cruise to Hawaii. Embarkation starts at 1pm. Is it better to arrive at the pier(San Pedro) earlier that 1 or shoot for later? We have five days at sea crossing to Hawaii, but we are still anxious to get on board as soon as possible.

Archived