Faro Celarain Eco Park

kaeffe

Has anyone done this tour it looks very interesting!!! May also be part of Punta Sur? It's an Eco Park with an alligator/crocodile marsh, sea turtles, birds. A coral reef for snorkeling. A lighthouse to climb and get a great view. I found some reviews that talked about taking a bus, a 30 minute ride, yet others said to rent a car. I'm a little confused about how to plan this. I think we would love this tour!!!! Help, Please!

Punta Sur under a different name. When we went I was suprised to realize that this area was called by a different name. Climb to the top of the tower in the marsh gives you a good view plus there was a croc. As the climb to the top of the light house gives you a pretty good view of the different colors in the water. There are many options to so for those into the outdoors. We hired a taxi for the day to drive us around the island.

IIRC, it's $10 admission to the park/lighthouse. Not sure on the bus or its schedule, but you'll have to hike in from the gate if you go that way. You or your cabbie can park along th eroad and walk to the marsh tower. Interesting views-5 -10 minutes stop. Then drive on up to the lighthouse. Steep winding climb (one person at a time mostly, with around 188 steps to the top. Small area at top to take pics. At base of lighthouse are a couple of kiosk selling merchandise and some great hammocks to swing in. 15-20 minutes here. While kayaking may be permitted, I don't recall any kayak operators there. Nor were there snorkeling facilities, unless at on of the kiosks. Bathrooms had no showers though.

We went to Punta Sur a couple weeks ago. We went to the crocodile place and climbed the lighthouse (beautiful views). I never knew it was called Faro Celarain until i got home and developed my pictures. I had zoomed in from the top of the Croc stand and took a picture of the lighthouse and sure enough when I saw the picture it had the name clear as can be on the lighthouse. Did not notice it while we were there. I know there are tours that go to Punta Sur to snorkel and Kayak but we did not do that. We continued on up the East Side for more beautiful views and swimming.

Thanks for the information on Punta Sur, or whatever it's called.:) We have been interested in going there for a couple of years. Has anybody taken the Royal Carribean excursion that goes there? For those of you who took a cab around the island, what is the approximate cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Prices are fixed for cabs depending on where you go. The latest pricing from Puerta Maya Pier for an Island tour is $60. When we were last there I hired a driver for the day 5hrs and it cost me $110. Other times we have taken van tours around the island for $35pp but I had to ask them to stop as I've been before and I was sure others on the van wanted to see some sites/stops vice doing a whirl-wind tour just to get to PB as the van driver gets benefits filtering people to beach clubs.

We went to Punta Sur a couple weeks ago. We went to the crocodile place and climbed the lighthouse (beautiful views). I never knew it was called Faro Celarain until i got home and developed my pictures. I had zoomed in from the top of the Croc stand and took a picture of the lighthouse and sure enough when I saw the picture it had the name clear as can be on the lighthouse. Did not notice it while we were there. I know there are tours that go to Punta Sur to snorkel and Kayak but we did not do that. We continued on up the East Side for more beautiful views and swimming.

DH & I are going on an anniversary cruise in October and we visited Cozumel while on our honeymoon(not a cruise - 4 days Cancun/3 days Cozumel). We loved the island and spent a great day driving around the island on a scooter and stopping wherever we wanted one of the days we were there. I have since read that the scooters are much more dangerous and don't want to do that on this trip. I want to enjoy Cozumel again, but we're not tour group type of people - prefer to go it on our own. Any suggestions of places to stop on the East side - restaurants, bars, beaches, etc. as well as possible rental ideas would be much appreciated. 12 years ago we stopped at Mezcalito's for AWESOME fajitas and beer before heading back west across the island, but I heard that Mezcalito's is no longer there?!? TIA for your help!!:)

We went with Tailor Made Tours (part of Cozumel bar hop). There were 9 of us so we were able to set up a private tour. There are other tour guides that take smaller groups. We stopped at Punta sur, then on to Rastas, then at a place with some amazing seascapes and views, then on to another bar with the most beautiful beach (had a life guard) where we swam and were the only ones there. Then on to Coconuts. I would definitely recommend getting a driver to take you. Our driver knew where to go and how long to stay at each place so we can see as much as possible. If you Google "Cozumel Wild side", you will find a great article.

Another option is to rent a car (we found some for $28 a day, not including insurance) and go wherever you want, when ever. It's really hard (like, almost impossible) to get lost, as there are very few roads on the island, and the maps are fine. When we were there a few years ago with our family, we rented a min-van, and drove around the perimeter, then stopped at Dzul-Ha for some drinks and snorkeling. The island is so incredible, the views amazing, and I've always felt quite safe there.

We're looking into checking out some of the other parts of the island, and also doing this park, so this info is what I have gleaned from my research. None of it is my personal experience (yet).

From what some other threads were saying, You can pay a $5 or $10 pp entrance to the park. The higher number gets you a park-arranged ride to a beach that other tours don't go to, that is within the park and sheltered for swimming, even when the water is rough elsewhere. The reef is quite a ways out, but is amazing for snorkeling, and some reports said there was a rental place there to get gear, and there are locals who are on the beach who will take you by kayak out to the reef, give you a tour, and return you for a tip ($20 - $30 was what some had said.)

Here is a compilation of other folks' comments from various threads. Some did organized tours, some did it on their own. It answered all my questions - hopefully it will answer your too.

You can go to Punta Sur on your own and go snorkeling there. On the far left side of the snorkeling area (grassy area) there are typically sea turtles.

The snorkeling at Punta Sur is world class and not to be missed. It is from the beach so it is quite strenuous. The purple sea fans were amazing! Well worth the effort.

So tell me about the snorkeling.... How long of a swim was it? Any info you can give me would be great! Just read on another web site where the distance to the reef is 300meters and then the reef is about 3/4 mile wide.

We sailed on the Conquest 8/23/09 & did the mini jeep tour on Cozumel and really enjoyed it. The "mini jeeps" are rhinos that seat two people. The drive to Punta Sur was VERY dusty when you got off the paved road, but lots of scenery in the form of beaches and blue water. Entry into the water was very easy....just walk out from the beach (beach chairs and hammocks available for non snorkelers). I am 50 and active, but not really athletic and I was tired at the end of the tour, but not too tired to climb the 133 steps up the lighthouse on the way back. They said the swim out was about 1/4 mile, which seems about right. In the water for maybe 1 1/2 hours.

I personally attempted this swim out to the reef this past February. It is far, far, far. I am a strong swimmer and this was not doable. I recommend that you take a snorkeling excursion from the Dive shop at Punta Sur. Some of my group did this a raved about it. They just went out with 1 guide in a kyak. They loved it!

I also have swam out to the reef at Punta Sur and it is a long swim. There is stuff to see on the way out but it is scattered and for many it would be very tough just finding the areas of interest. The reef on the other hand often has turtles and a lot of other critters. It is good advice to let the guide in the kayak pull you to and from the reef, you only have one day on the island so you might want to make the most of it. The snorkel tour from the Punta Sur staff is very reasonable.

The ride inside the Park on the Hugh wooden truck, the boat ride through the lagoon, the old ruins lighthouse and the newer lighthouse where you can climb the stairs to the top is a good day on the island even without the snorkel but it is a great day at Cozumel with the reef included imho.

We went to Punta Sur February 2008 and LOVED it. It is a quite place with beautiful surroundings. If visitors are looking for beach/ocean toys and a well stocked bar, this is not the place.

It is an ecological park run by the government. There are so many wonderful things to see and do:

1. The ride to Punta Sur is beautiful.

2. There are small Mayan ruins along the drive in the park.

3. There is a lighthouse that you can climb and a museum in the first part of the park.

4. You pay a bit more to take a truck ride to the snorkeling beach - which includes a boat tour of the fresh water lagoon to spot crocs.

5. The beach is beautiful with chairs, hammocks, a snack bar (small and very informal), and restrooms.

6. You can rent snorkeling equipment or bring your own.

(You can snorkel from the beach. There are two beach sections. One you cannot swim in and the other which you need to take a short truck ride to - provided by the park. You can bring your own equipment or rent it there.)

This beach is known for the sea turtles.

If I remember correctly, I think the fee for the park (ecological park) is $5 pp which covers up to the lighthouse and museum. $10pp for the lighthouse, museum, truck ride to the snorkeling beach, chairs, hammocks, boat tour of lagoon etc.

We did not go snorkeling, but the people we met there (there are very few people there) they were there for the snorkeling and they loved it. They do say that you can see sea turtles by the tall sea grass at the far end of the beach.

Have a great time.

I would highly recommend you get the map of Cozumel from http://www.cancunmap.com/ before you go. This will help plan your day.

Spent a couple different days here in March of 08. Clear beautiful water, some of the coral covered in sand due to hurricanes, seen eagle rays, barracuda and all kinds of smaller fish. A location where you can see 100 yds in any direction. When you enter the park you take a road to the light house where you will park and board a bus to the beach. You may see some alligators and lizards. Worth the ride, at the beach grab a chair and umbrella and relax. Oh ya cold beers at the food stand, same price for beer as pop. Tour the lagoon, gators in there and fish very clear water.

$10 per person to get in. Went to the lighthouse, and climbed to the top. Great view. Rode the double decker bus to the beach area. The water on the west side of the island was rough, and I was expecting the same at this beach, but it was just the exact opposite. The water was so calm and clear with no rocks. We spent about 2.5 hours there and had a great time.

Small Mayan Ruins

Lookout Locations for Crocodiles

Beautiful Flora and Fauna

Museum

Lighthouse - which you can climb

Small Vendor Area

Truck Ride - to the snorkeling beach

Boat Ride - around the fresh water lagoon (crocs)

Beautiful Beaches - with chairs, hammock, umbrellas, restrooms and a small snack shop

Disney Cruise 2008 030.jpgWe rented a jeep near the Punta Langosta pier and drove to Punta Sur. The entrance fee is $10 per person. You drive down a really bumpy road to the lighthouse and park there. Then you can get on a double decker bus and take a 20 minute bus ride to the beach. There were no rocks in the water at this beach (or at least I didn't see or feel any). There were hammocks, beach chairs and bathrooms. You could buy snacks and rent snorkel equipment. After we were there about 30 minutes, the ship excursions starting coming in. Some got in the water to swim, but most got their snorkel equipment and went with a guide in the water. There were a couple of "lifeguards" that rode jetskis and watched the snorkelers. After about 2 hours, we took the bus back to the lighthouse and walked to the top of the lighthouse. Great view. What really amazed me about this place was, on the west side where we docked (Disney Magic), the water was very rough. So I thought our beach day was not going to happen. But when we got to the beach at Punta Sur (the one the bus takes you to), the water was calm.

“Punta Sur - A beautiful and peaceful outing”

Faro Celerain Eco Park

fis 3 contributions

washington, dc

Mar 25, 2010 3 people found this review helpful

We are staying at the El Presidente Intercontinental Resort on the western side of Cozumel and decided to rent a car to see some of the other beaches and more remote parts of the island. Punta Sur was our first stop and we ended up spending most of the day here.

The park is huge. A car is needed to drive from spot to spot within the park. We paid an entrance fee of $10US per person (cash only) and got wristbands for the day.

The lighthouse is a good first stop. The climb is not too hard but lots of fun and the view from the top is terrific. The dirt road from the lighthouse continues for some time with the ocean and turtle nesting grounds on the south and the crocodile lagoon on the right. There are several places where you can stop to visit the lagoon, but one of the first stops features a tall observation tower where it was easy to spot both crocodiles and their prey. We spotted a large # of crocs plus herons, egrets, and other wildlife.

Much further down the road is the main beach area. There is plenty of safe parking right behind the beach, and a large supply of hammocks, umbrellas, and beach chairs flanking a huge crescent beach. On the Tuesday we visited, there were plenty of hammocks and chairs to be had. Behind the beach are bathrooms and open air showers. Don't expect the Ritz, and you'll be fine.

The reef is off-shore a bit, so it's a nice beach for wading. If you want to snorkel, you need to swim out to the reef, which could tire out smaller or inexperienced swimmers. We used the services of a kayak guide, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. They were gathered right at the beach entrance. No hard sell. Just some friendly guides eager to show you the reef in exchange for tips. Our family of four got into an ocean kayak, and Pedro paddled us out to the reef. He then donned snorkel gear and guided us along the entire length of the reef, pointing out things along the way. In addition to the many beautiful species that surrounded us, we spotted a shark and a barracuda, neither of which we would have seen without our guide.

When we reached the end of the reef, we climbed back into the kayak and Pedro rowed us back to shore. For this hour-long tour of the reef, I'm told the customary tip is $20 to $30. Well worth it!!!

On the beach near the entrance is a little food shack selling guacamole, ceviche, fajitas, quesadillas, etc. It doesn't look like much, but the guacamole and shrimp ceviche were excellent, and the fajitas looked pretty good too.

Punta Sur also features some VERY small Mayan ruins, and a little pond where iguanas and vultures hang out -- another fun photo op. All in all, a great excursion!

Please some more info, if you have done this. Is there a bus to it, take a taxi, or can you book a tour guide when you get off the ship. How far is it from where Carnival docks. It looks beautiful, sounds so interesting and also a little unsure about the long swim out to the reef. A kayak ride out to it sounds like the way to go.

Please some more info, if you have done this. Is there a bus to it, take a taxi, or can you book a tour guide when you get off the ship. How far is it from where Carnival docks. It looks beautiful, sounds so interesting and also a little unsure about the long swim out to the reef. A kayak ride out to it sounds like the way to go.

Same place.

http://www.discovercozumel.com.mx/terms.html#Celarain

• 3 months later...

If you like off the beaten path & quiet serene beach DO THIS!!! Rented a SUV from Avis $50/day easy transaction if your there EARLY anywhere after 9am getting a car will take a while. Driving on island easy except in town kinda crazy beware Avenues have the right of way if your on a side street it will only be a 2way stop sign!! Faro Celerain opens at 9am closes at 4pm @ 30 km south from town /piers. (10$ entry/park) or ($20 for park snorkelgear & a t-shirt) which is what we did also a few other entry$ options w food etc... you can spend all day here lots to do 2700 hectare eco park, highly recommend the snorkeling its is in a very protected cove area if it is rough @ San miguel it will be flat calm here. Swim is easy, remember you are bouyent in salt water,also they have life jackets if you feel the need, park staff were GREAT!!! Miguel ask for him offered to take us out & show us the way although I could have followed his directions no problem as he spoke fluent english ,myself & my 2 sisters who never would have gone on a mile swim w/o him he was literally a tow boat for them excellent reefs they have rebounded nicely since the Hurricane 5 years ago. Only stayed a few hours and toured the rest of the island. A guided tour/taxi is definately over rated as lots of English is spoken everywhere popular, also very safe leave enough time to fuel up as everyone else who rented a car will be trying to do the same.

progress.gif

Archived