internet availability on The Aurora during Carribbean cruise

Lewing

Hi

My husband has asked me to try and find out how available the internet access is on the Aurora. He runs his own business and as we are away for 3 weeks next April on our Carribbean cruise he will need to occassionaly get in touch with his office via the internet.

Does he have to wait till the ship is in port to use the internet or can you get a signal whilst at sea?

Any advice would be welcome

Linda

Subject to Satelite connection, no problem at all.

However, after problems we had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2006 on the World Cruise where people who were trying to run their business could not get a connection ................. real problems :mad:, I would seriously consider making some alternative arrangements ....................... just in case, if you understand what I mean :D

We have since cruised on both Aurora :D and Arcadia :( in various parts of the World with NO, repeat NO problems :D:D

Ask yourself, how critical is it that you MUST have contact?

(On Aurora on the USA Canada cruise in just over two weeks and 'hope' to have email contact to back home for private and business reasons, but if I don't have contact???????? It will be dealt with when I return)

Mike

You may have an internet connection but it is spasmodic. It is always very slow, slower than dial up speeds and, IMO, expensive for such a poor service.

You may be better off finding an internet cafe ashore if you have to be in touch.

Many thanks for the replies - he may use his i-phone once or twice a week or the internet on the ship.

My daughter who works for him was worried to be left holding the fort for three weeks without any contact thats all so if we can re-assure her he can make contact a couple of times a week she will be happy.

Linda

Means of communication are there 24 hours a day.

Internet via satelite

Mobile phone if it has world wide coverage

Ship's telephone system Ship/Shore

Ship's email system

The last two use a different Satelite, (at least it did when we were on board), to the Internet in the Cybastudy. When we were on the World Cruise in 2006, they were having terrible Satelite connection problems for us in the Cybastudy and they gave us free telephone ship/shore time on their Satelite. They didn't tell us it would be free, but told us to use the telephone system for urgent messages, only when the charge appeared on the account was it cancelled. By then we had coverage. Their Satelite is the one used for navigation as well, so they want that up and running :rolleyes:

I feel 99.99% certain you will have your own controlled email facility most of the time..

3 weeks is nothing :rolleyes:, my daughter and son in law are going on Arcadia's World Cruise in January and we are looking after their business, and house and gardens, because they run their business from home, for the full three months :D

I am on Aurora in a couple of weeks time and will make a few enquiries as to what is available if things 'break' ;)

Mike

Be aware that when you are away from land, your mobile phone will connect to the ships satellite system, which then becomes expensive for both receiving and making calls, so best thing is to switch off until you are near land. Then its only international call rates, which is much cheaper.

Internet costs on P&O are now 50p/min, slightly cheaper if you buy a package. You need lots of minutes as it is extremely slow. If you can remember how slow dial up was, its slower than that!

Brian

Archived