Which excursion?

startpacking

Debating between four possible excursions, I have read some old threads and get the impression that is could be unwise to book an excursion other than a ships excursion, due to poor roads. Is this still the case, the more recent thread appear to favour private tour operators. I am travelling later this year and wondering if I should consider Reyno tours or a Carnival excursion in Dominica.

Here are the four excursions I am considering and I really don't know which would be the best for a first time visitor to the island.

1) A private or group tour with Reyno Tours to various sights, here's the description Reyno has provided:-

A 30 minute drive from the capital Roseau into Roseau Valley into the Rain Forest, 30 minutes stop at Ti Tou Gorge, a 40 minute stop at the Trafalgar Falls and the Warm Springs, we proceed to the Wotten Waven Sulphur Boilling Spring for 15 minutes stop, a drive through the Botanic Gardens, 10 minutes stop at Morne Bruce view point of the City, and then back to the ship.

2) Roseau Sightseeing and Trafalgar Falls excursion offered by Carnival

3) Easy Dominica and Jaco Falls excursion offered by Carnival

4) Pre Colombus Carib Indian Experience excursion offered by Carnival, I am a little reluctant to do this excursion because it involves alot of time on the bus.

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes - go with Reyno or Levi. I preferred Levi - there were extra admissions with Reyno.

From what I have seen of the vehicles on Dominica, you might prefer a smaller reputable tour operator because these guides have vans that hold 10-12 people instead of larger buses. IMO the smaller vans are better suited to the Dominica roads than the larger tour buses.

We went with Levi in March, and enjoyed his tour very much. Very similar description to your option 1. Cecil was our driver, and there was a total of 8 in our van. All tours on this island require van time-it is worth it though! As far as the roads, the tour guides are experienced drivers, they drive these roads to work, for work, and home again.

Beautiful island, and be sure you wear good water shoes, as the hike into the cold & then hot side of Trafalgar Falls will not be easy without good shoes.

Safe travels to you!

Thank you for the replies.

I had contacted Levi before posting this question and he is not operatating a similar tour on the day I will in Dominica. Realistically, Reyno or Carnival is all that is available to me.

I've emailed Reyno for clarification of how he operates, from what I understand he does not have a group tour that individual travellers like me can join and I'd have to organize a private tour with him. I have already exchanged a few emails and this is the impression I get. If this is incorrect please let me know, I don't hear from him as quickly as I'd like to.

Thank you for the replies.

I had contacted Levi before posting this question and he is not operatating a similar tour on the day I will in Dominica. Realistically, Reyno or Carnival is all that is available to me.

I've emailed Reyno for clarification of how he operates, from what I understand he does not have a group tour that individual travellers like me can join and I'd have to organize a private tour with him. I have already exchanged a few emails and this is the impression I get. If this is incorrect please let me know, I don't hear from him as quickly as I'd like to.

We've toured twice with Reyno and have visited different points of interest on Dominica. Reyno does a great job and he provides a guide with his tours. The guide will narrate while your driver is taking you to each site, so that you are aware of what you're seeing as you go. Also, they will stop for photo op's along the way. The guide will accompany you along your hikes/walks, pointing out wildlife or plant life along the way, which makes for a much more interesting tour. Reyno does sometimes have groups which you can join if the vans are not full, as he does have more than one van and driver, but you could be leaving this to chance if you wait until you're in port. You might want to check with others on your roll call and see if you could put a group together to tour with you. If you check Reyno's website, you'll see the various tours he offers, and there may be other tours that may interest you more. For a 1st time visitor to Dominica, I recommend the Emerald Pool, Mr Nice Fruit Stand and Trafalgar Falls. Check out Reyno's site: www.reynotours.com

ask reyno again where the group tour is going. i am not in a group, but he offered to put me with a group and the site fees are included in the price as well as drinks. He said I could do a group tour or private tour, but the private tour is based on 4 people going and i didnt want to pay double.

the carnival tour guides drive on the same roads, but you only get to see 1 or 2 places.

Thanks for the replies. I did get an email from Reyno, he doesn't have any bookings the day I will be in Dominica but he can arrange a private tour for one person for $80. I guess it's a private tour with Reyno or a ship excursion. I'll think about what to do.

Woody is ready and waiting with a smile the second you get off the cruise ship. You cruise around the island in his Land Rover. He provides yummy snacks and great drinks during the day. His cooler is packed full of fresh fruit, chips, coconut and banana bread, beer, water, and the best Rum Punch!! If you ever have to stop for a break, just ask, he is more than willing to stop.

Woody shows you a great day! We went to a beautiful waterfall, with a fresh fruit stand. Be sure to say hi to Ronnie!! Woody definitely shows you the best of his island. We also went to a wonderful private beach, that only his Land Rover can get to. It's gorgeous and the best part is that you have the whole beach to yourself. We spent our time at the beach swimming, snorkeling, and walking up and down the beach.

The day was unforgettable! Definitely a "DO AGAIN" tour! Woody is very personable and friendly! If you ever plan a trip to Dominica get a hold of Woody! It is the only way to see the island!!

Visit his website: http://woodydominca.shutterfly.com

[--]

• 4 weeks later...
We've toured twice with Reyno and have visited different points of interest on Dominica. Reyno does a great job and he provides a guide with his tours. The guide will narrate while your driver is taking you to each site, so that you are aware of what you're seeing as you go. Also, they will stop for photo op's along the way. The guide will accompany you along your hikes/walks, pointing out wildlife or plant life along the way, which makes for a much more interesting tour. Reyno does sometimes have groups which you can join if the vans are not full, as he does have more than one van and driver, but you could be leaving this to chance if you wait until you're in port. You might want to check with others on your roll call and see if you could put a group together to tour with you. If you check Reyno's website, you'll see the various tours he offers, and there may be other tours that may interest you more. For a 1st time visitor to Dominica, I recommend the Emerald Pool, Mr Nice Fruit Stand and Trafalgar Falls. Check out Reyno's site: www.reynotours.com

Can you give me an idea of how many were in your tour group and what the prices were? Thanks in advance.

Can you give me an idea of how many were in your tour group and what the prices were? Thanks in advance.

On our first visit, we had a very large group from our roll call and ended up using 3 of Reyno's vans. On our second tour, we had 2 vans (the vans hold 10 comfortably), and we paid $40 pp, plus entrance fees where applicable. Now, I believe that Reyno may structure his tours to include the entrance fees, but you can check out his website at www.reynotours.com or email him at reynotours@gmail.com

Archived