Cruising to Alaska on the Carnival Spirit - August 10 to 17, 2010

iggy's mom

Tonight was the first Elegant Night. We saw a few people really dressed up, but not too many.

For dinner tonight --

We both had the pumpkin soup.

100_1217.jpg

DH had the caesar salad, while I had the Greek Farmer Salad.

100_1092.jpg

100_1218.jpg

We each had the lobster.

100_1219.jpg

For dessert DH had the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. I'm not sure what I had.

AlaskaCruise20101286.jpg

After dinner we went to the show in Pharaoh's Palace. Tonight it was Jazz Hot.

Later we saw the comedy show. Tonight we saw JeRome. I thought he was funny, while DH thought he was so-so.

Tonight before we feel asleep we turned our clocks back one hour as we would be entering the Alaska time zone.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but our room steward's name was Emmanuel and he was fantastic! Very personable, always called us by name and said hello every time he saw us.

Towel Animal #2

DSCN0929.jpg

I am enjoying your review and love seeing the pictures of the ship. It is gonna be a long countdown for us...we just booked last week. Our itinerary will be Eastern & Western Caribbean on a B2B. Keep sharing, Thanks

I would love to do a B2B cruise one day! Hope your countdown goes by quickly.

I am just about to burst with excitement! I am so ready for my Alaskan cruise and I still have 11 days to go! Your review will have to hold me over until I board the Spirit on my own adventure to Alaska!:D:D

Thanks for sharing!:)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I know what it takes to get a pictorial review going. We did this cruise in May so it is interesting to see a review from later on in the season. I am looking forward to your Tracy Arm pictures and comments. Due to the ice pack we went down Endicott.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I know what it takes to get a pictorial review going. We did this cruise in May so it is interesting to see a review from later on in the season. I am looking forward to your Tracy Arm pictures and comments. Due to the ice pack we went down Endicott.

I should be able to post Tracy Arm tonight. It was a beautiful day.

If I may ask, what Cabin were you in?

We were in cabin 8168. We loved it because the balcony seemed bigger (but probably really wasn't) and it was full covered. The only draw back was that it the early mornings we heard the scrapping of the chairs being moved around up on deck.

Thursday, August 12 - Tracy Arm

We awoke to a bright beautiful blue sky! Three years ago, while the cruise was fantastic we had "typical" Alaska weather (cloudy, rainy, and cold). This time, everyday we said some version of "We will never have this kind of weather again in Alaska."

We were scheduled to arrive at the entrance to Tracy Arm at around 11am, so the morning was like a mini day at sea. I joined some trivia and then dragged DH to the Television Trivia since it was clear I wasn't going to be able to beat the other trivia'ers on my own. ha!!! On the Carnival Splendor DH had won a medallion, so this cruise we (okay I) was after a gold ship on a stick. And...he won the trivia. :)

DSCN0938.jpg

A little bit before 11am we reached the entrance to Tracy Arm. The Naturalist, Michelle, gave a talk over the PA about Tracy Arm. During the time in Tracy Arm, Michelle would come over the PA system and tell us about any points of interest.

While cruising in Tracy Arm there is a shore excursion that is offered twice during the day. The first time is at about 11:15am and the 2nd offering was at 2:30pm. The cost was about $160 per person. Before starting the cruise into Tracy Arm the ship was slowed to allow those on the excursion to get onto the boat used for excursion. At some point close to the Glacier, the excursion comes back, drops of the people and loads the next group.

Here are a few pictures of the excursion boat:

AlaskaCruise2010525.jpg

AlaskaCruise2010526.jpg

During the day we would see smaller boats like these.

AlaskaCruise2010694.jpg

AlaskaCruise2010677.jpg

While in Tracy Arm, at times the ship was turned into the wind, so it was rather chilly up on deck. At other times the ship was turned to where the air was perfect still and the jackets and sweaters would come off.

We reached the Glacier. We heard the cracking of the ice caving but did not see it. When the ship reaches the Glacier, the ship is slowly turned so that no matter which side of the ship you are on eventually you will be facing the Glacier.

1339c901.jpg

AlaskaCruise2010683.jpg

e877ae20.jpg

So after Glacier watching, we decided it was time for a treat from the Fountain Cafe.

DSCN1169.jpg

In the late afternoon, I decided to take advantage of an empty gym. While we getting near the end of the Tracy Arm, DH snapped a picture of this waterfall.

AlaskaCruise2010711.jpg

Need more!!! 15 days and we will be here. I only hope the weather is as good for us. We're all packing our rain gear in hopes of not having to unpack it til we get home!

I will cross my fingers and toes in hopes that you will not need the rain gear. :)

Archived