Hotels near Vancouver BC Amtrak Station?

Hi,

We'll be ending our cruise in Vancouver, BC on Sunday, Sept 19..and taking the 6:40 AM Amtrax the following morning. Can anyone recommend hotels (around the $100/night range) which are close to the train station?

Also, any recommendations for a down to earth, casual. relaxing restaurants/tavern (similar to McMennamins, Roadhouse, etc in the US) in Vancouver, BC...maybe a place with a great atmosphere, not too formal/stuffy/quiet...but something like a country bar and grill?

Thanks,

Vic

Unfortunately the Pacific Central Station is in a bit of a "mixed" area of the city and there are no hotels close-by that any of us would care to stay in let alone recommend. May I suggest that you try bidding on Priceline for a room. Once on the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, then 3*+ and then start bidding at about $75 you should be able to get a good room in a nice hotel for under $125....other than that it is very hard to get a hotel in Vancouver for much under $175. Any of the downtown hotels will be about a $10 cab ride to the train station.

There are a number of pubs in downtown Vancouver, when you have a room come back here and we will try find you a pub nearby.

Unfortunately the Pacific Central Station is in a bit of a "mixed" area of the city and there are no hotels close-by that any of us would care to stay in let alone recommend. May I suggest that you try bidding on Priceline for a room. Once on the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, then 3*+ and then start bidding at about $75 you should be able to get a good room in a nice hotel for under $125....other than that it is very hard to get a hotel in Vancouver for much under $175. Any of the downtown hotels will be about a $10 cab ride to the train station.

There are a number of pubs in downtown Vancouver, when you have a room come back here and we will try find you a pub nearby.

Very well put! Good advise.

I checked Hotwire for the date that you are going to be in Vancouver and there is a 5***** hotel for $136.00 - could be the Sutton Place or perhaps the Sheraton Wall center and some lesser stars for $100.00 in the Granville entertainment district which could be the Comfort Inn, Ramada Inn or one of the Best Westerns.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. I am getting with mt friends (the other couple accompanying us on this cruise) to see if either Priceline or Hotwire (as you mentioned) sound Ok.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I've been registered with Cruise Critic since about 2001 and feel it's the cadillac site for cruise information!

Vic

Thanks for all your suggestions. I went to Priceline and started my bid at $75 for Vancouver downtown. It was rejected, but Priceline asked if I would like to raise my price to $95/room (we're getting two rooms)..and it was accepted by the Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside.

I don't know anything about this hotel but will research it.

It sounds like a nice place..

Thanks again for all your suggestions..

Vic

I have stayed there within the past 18 months and I am sure you will like it. Only a couple of blocks from Canada Place it was built about 45 years ago as a Holiday Inn but has been upgraded and remodeled over the years with the last being done for the Olympics. You could catch SkyTrain from just in front of the train station to Waterfront station then walk about 4/5 blocks west to the hotel...fare ...$2.50 (CDN)pp or a cab ride will cost you about $10/$12.

Putterdude,

Thanks for your suggestions.

We'll be ending our cruise in Vancouver. What would you recommend in getting from the cruise dock to the hotel?

Also, we'll be taking the 6:40AM Amtrak out of Vancouver the next morning. What options do we have in getting to the train statiin the next morning?

Thanks again,

Vic

You could catch SkyTrain from just in front of the train station to Waterfront station then walk about 4/5 blocks west to the hotel...fare ...$2.50 (CDN)pp or a cab ride will cost you about $10/$12.

Putterdude,

Thanks for your suggestions.

We'll be ending our cruise in Vancouver. What would you recommend in getting from the cruise dock to the hotel?

Also, we'll be taking the 6:40AM Amtrak out of Vancouver the next morning. What options do we have in getting to the train statiin the next morning?

Cruise Dock to hotel is walkable (3 blocks); you could take a cab, but frankly most people walk their luggage further inside the airport than this would be. Also, if you're headed to the Amtrak (VIA Rail) station; the nearest Skytrain station (which runs to across the st from the VIA/Amtrak station) to your hotel is actually Burrard; not Waterfront.

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.285387,-123.112385&spn=0.01005,0.027874&z=16

Your hotel is on W.hastings @ Thurlow (approx)

It is an easy walk from Canada Place to the hotel. Quite right, Burrard Station is about a block closer then the Waterfront Station but it is an uphill walk which may or may not be a problem for you. You will be going early in the morning so this likely won't be an issue but with Waterfront Station it is easier to maneuver luggage onto the SkyTrain car as it is the beginning of the line.

It is an easy walk from Canada Place to the hotel. Quite right, Burrard Station is about a block closer then the Waterfront Station but it is an uphill walk which may or may not be a problem for you. You will be going early in the morning so this likely won't be an issue but with Waterfront Station it is easier to maneuver luggage onto the SkyTrain car as it is the beginning of the line.

If you can't handle stairs, the nearest Skytrain (Expo/Millenium) entrance is all the way at Waterfront's main terminal building; about 5 blocks; Burrard is a lot easier w/ luggage. (getting to down at Canada Place/Waterfront Expo/Line is escalators followed by a short staircase)

Burrard is definitely easier from where you're staying.

How much time should I allow to get to the Amtrak (Pacific Central Station) if I were to walk to the Burrard Station and ride the SkyTrain over?

Thank you :)

Skytrain would be 4 minutes; with a walk, and waiting for next train 15 mins tops. a taxi probably 10 tops

Archived