Need suggestions please...

We are leaving next month on our honeymoon on the Voyager. The ports are St. Thomas, San Juan, Hispaniola and Bahamas. I have been to the Bahamas but any suggestions on the other ports such as excursions and Must Sees? Thanks for any suggestions and advice!

In St. Thomas I really liked Coral World.. If the sea creatures intrigue you then I would suggest that excursion. Whenever I go to a "new" island I try to book a city tour. That way I can see the highlights and learn about the island. The cab drivers are very proud of their islands and do a great tour also and usually for less money.

Every time in St. Thomas, we've gone over to St. John...you can take a taxi to Red Hook (about 15-20 min.), then ferry over to St. John (another 15-20 min. not including a wait for the boat), then another 15-30 min. taxi depending on which beach you go to. Or take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie to St. John, where you'd get a taxi.

We think it is well worth the trip, both in time, and expense (I'm guessing $30-$40/pp).

The beaches on St. John are spectacular, snorkeling is great. The most well known, and most crowded, is Trunk Bay. Others further east on the island are less crowded, generally equally or more beautiful, but may not have as many facilities as Trunk.

Congrats on your wedding! In St. Thomas there are many things to do. The St. Thomas board lists excursions as well as RCI's website. We are also on Voyager in Mar. (Mar. 5 sailing). If you want an afternoon of pure fun and a bit of a party atmosphere, go on the Kon Tiki excursion. If you want something quieter spend some time at a beach such as Megan's Bay. I also think there is decent snorkeling as well. In Puerto Rico, Old San Juan is a wonderful place to wander around the town soaking up the history and the architecture- it really is a unique port. Enjoy your honeymoon!

I've been to St. Thomas several times on cruiseships. Being tired of the usual island tour and not being taken in by the "bargain" shopping (it's not cheaper than any place else), this time we are going to Coral World and while there will do Coki Beach and go Parasailing with Capt. Mike. It should be a pretty full day as per the info on the PORTS threads. Heard we can feed dog biscuits to the jellyfish on Coki Beach, and printed a coupon for a discount to Coral World. Should be fun.

In St. Thomas, I second the Trunk Bay suggestion-that is where we are going again in 2 weeks. Absolutely gorgeous beach, water, view with all the facilities you could want. I think that I am not exaggerating when I say that it is just about my favorite place on earth. San Juan is harder as there are so many things we enjoy there, but all were done outside of a cruise, so I am trying to think what would be best during a limited stay. We loved the fort (El Morro) and stayed there for 3-4 hours, but the that is pretty low impact, more for those who love history, though the views are awesome, and we did have our son with us who is very into the whole "war" thing. :D Just walking around Old San Juan and having lunch somewhere like the DragonFly or ParrotClub is awesome too. Have a drink at El Convento. Then there is the rain forest, but with the long ride from the port and the tendency of ship's tours to be a little "impersonal" I don't think I would suggest that. Driving yourself would be better, but I would NEVER rent a car in San Juan-narrow roads and crazy drivers! You can't do the bioluminesence bay on a day trip either-but that is something to see! Hispaniola is the alias for Labadee, the ship's "private" island on Haiti, and while they offer "excursions" there is none that you should take, except perhaps to reserve an hour at the water park as the number of people that can get in it are limited. It is just another nice beach day, so no worries as to what excursion to book.

Hope this helps,

Laurie

Archived