Accessible Transportation in Vancouver

I'll be taking a cruise next April that departs from Vancouver. I use a mobility scooter and need to find transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal. Any information about companies I can contact will be greatly appreciated.

You can take the new Canada Line which will certainly accommodate you and your scooter; the issue is that if you can't handle your luggage or a companion can't do it for you, it won't work for you.

About 7% of Vancouver's cab fleet are mini-vans most of which are fitted with lifts to handle people in wheelchairs and scooters although you may have to wait a few extra minutes for one to come along. Your cab fare from YVR to a downtown hotel or Canada Place will run you about $35.

Thank you so much. I am shipping my luggage to the ship and will only have my backpack, so luggage isn't an issue.

What is the Canada Line? Is it a train of some sort? Where does it stop?

It's a light rapid transit line that runs from YVR to downtown Vancouver. It starts out as an elevated line but becomes a subway once over the Fraser River and enters the City of Vancouver. It has three stops in downtown Vancouver and terminates at Waterfront Station about 3 blocks from Canada Place. The cars themselves are very accessible and the the stations all have elevators so you would have no issues with your scooter. The fare from YVR to downtown is $8.75 and once on the system it traveling time to Waterfront station takes 26 mins...the trains run every 6 mins. On another thread you were thinking of staying close to Canada Place so once we know where you are staying we will be happy to tell you which is the closest station to your hotel.

Darlene, they built this all the way out to the airport in support of the Olympics.

Keith

Kieth, this was something that had been in the planning stages for years, but the hosting of the 2010 Winter Olympics certainly made funding more readily available. However it was not in support of the Olympics, not by a long shot.

Putterdude

Archived