Classica Far East Cancelled?

Ozza Alf

Hello BenMurphy and fellow cruisers,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic. I'm sorry & wish I had better news. I have to let those of you who are reserved on the Classica's October 23, 2010 sailing (just as I am) know that there have been changes and a lot of negative press in Asia. Changes affecting the number of days of this cruise, the starting date, also two ports have been eliminated as of yesterday, but you won't find this info on the Costa website.

Just go to google and write in "Costa Classica Jeju" (this will explain what happened last Sunday when the ship, travelling from Shanghai, China to Jeju, South Korea, had 44 Chinese passengers who "jumped ship" in order to stay/work illegally in South Korea. They left their passports onboard, but took their luggage with them.

Next, google "Costa Classica Collision October 2010" and read the Daily Mail article about how, after visiting Jeju on Sunday, the ship was returning to Shanghai when it collided at 4AM this Monday with a Belgian cargo ship, opening a 20 meter gash on the starboard side of the Classica, affecting perhaps 15 staterooms, everyone had to rush to their muster stations. You can see the photos in the article.

Finally, google "Typhoon Megi Hong Kong" and read that the largest typhoon of 2010 is even as we speak bearing down on Hong Kong and Guandong, China this weekend. When British passengers on the Oct 23 sailing read the Daily Mail article, they grew alarmed and contacted Costa (I called my excellent travel agent Mark at OVC, and he called Costa and then forwarded their reply, see Costa letter at the end of my post.

My husband and I are cancelling the cruise (luckily we bought insurance), as well as our separate round trip air from Newark to Hong Kong, and the hotel room, because of A) the foolhardiness of flying into a typhoon B) Costa's assurance that the cruise will begin but on Monday the 25th, when anyone who examines the photos of the damage knows that those cabins on deck 5 will not be ready by then. C) Hong Kong has one of the best typhoon warning systems in Asia, and they'll probably close the port and no ships will be able to sail until they lift the restriction. If the airport closes, who wants to be deviated to Singapore or Korea? D) It's not that I'm superstitious, but that's two unfortunate events have happened to the Classica this week, and I no longer feel comfortable about this cruise, where so many of the ports (like Vietnam) have excursions to beautiful sites you have to drive to, if the roads are rendered impassable due to the torrential rains, those excursions will be cancelled. I also confess my doubts about whether Costa will do its best for the passengers. They've never alerted or let on about any of these situations, and there will be unsuspecting passengers who won't even know a typhoon is on route. Be safe, cruisers! Here's Costa's letter of yesterday:

Dear Guest,

On October 18th 2010, while approaching the port of Shanghai, the Costa Classica collided with a cargo vessel. As reported in the media, at no time were the passengers or crew in any danger and the cruise ship reached the port of Shanghai under her own steam.

The subsequent inspection revealed that, on Deck 5, the external superstructure of the cruise ship sustained damages that can be repaired in few days under the supervision of the competent Authorities.

The repair work is currently underway at a shipyard in Shanghai and will be certified by RINA, the Italian Shipping Register, which is an internationally recognized classification and certification body, by the Italian Authority and by the Shanghai Port Authority.

In order to allow the repairs completion, the Costa Classica will now be arriving in Hong Kong on October 25th 2010 instead of October 23rd 2010 as originally scheduled.

In order to ensure the full experience of the purchased vacation, the Guests booked to board the Costa Classica will be provided with two days’ accommodation and full board on October 23rd and 24th in Hong Kong.

In addition, on October 24, Costa Cruises will be offering Guests a complimentary excursion program in Hong Kong with lunch included.

The scheduled cruise is then confirmed with calls at Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong, with the only cancellation of Manila and Sanya, according to the following program:

Mon 25 Oct., 2010 HONG KONG TBD 18,00 Guests embarkation

Tue 26 Oct. At sea

Wed 27 Oct. At sea

Thu 28 Oct. KOTA KINABALU-BORNEO 08,00 18,00

Fri 29 Oct. BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN 08,00 14,00

Sat 30 Oct. At sea

Sun 31 Oct. SINGAPORE 08,00 19,00

Mon 1 Nov. At sea

Tue 2 Nov. HO CHI MINH CITY 08,00 16,30

Wed 3 Nov. At sea

Thu 4 Nov. DA-NANG 08,00 19,00

Fri 5 Nov. At sea

Sat 6 Nov. HONG KONG 05,00 21.30

Upon your arrival to Hong Kong you may proceed to the Hong Kong Cruise Terminal where you will be met by Costa Cruises shore-side staff and Costa Classica ship staff to assist you and provide you with all the information you need for your stay at the Hotel. In addition, a permanent information desk will be present at your Hotel for all the assistance.

We do recommend you review your rights under Costa’s Terms & Conditions relating to the change or cancellation of all or any part of the cruise. You may review Costa’s Terms and Conditions by logging on to costacruises.com, under “Cruise Ticket Contract”.

We wish you a pleasant holiday.

Kindest Regards

Hi SeeingDouble,

Sorry to hear you decided to cancel your cruise, I don't know if I would have done the same.

To spend 3 nights in Hong Kong (that includes the one you had already booked) for me would not be a problem, I would have been a bit upset at missing Manila, as when I went there on the same cruise it was wonderful.

As for the ship being ready for Monday I don't think that will be a problem, I think by the time the ship docked all the workmen and materials would be waiting by the key-side, so I wouldn't be unduly worried, see link below:

http://news.xinmin.cn/t/xmwbtj/2010/10/22/7345127.html

Next the typhoon, I would have taken the risk, and as it happens the typhoon has been downgraded, please see link below:

http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/englishnews/20101022/news_20101022_56_707137.htm

Anyway, this is just what I would do, everyone is different, I hope you will be able to rebook, as the itinerary is great if you have not been to these places before, (or even if you have), and if not with Costa with some other cruise line.

Hello BenMurphy and fellow cruisers,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic. I'm sorry & wish I had better news. I have to let those of you who are reserved on the Classica's October 23, 2010 sailing (just as I am) know that there have been changes and a lot of negative press in Asia. Changes affecting the number of days of this cruise, the starting date, also two ports have been eliminated as of yesterday, but you won't find this info on the Costa website.

Just go to google and write in "Costa Classica Jeju" (this will explain what happened last Sunday when the ship, travelling from Shanghai, China to Jeju, South Korea, had 44 Chinese passengers who "jumped ship" in order to stay/work illegally in South Korea. They left their passports onboard, but took their luggage with them.

Next, google "Costa Classica Collision October 2010" and read the Daily Mail article about how, after visiting Jeju on Sunday, the ship was returning to Shanghai when it collided at 4AM this Monday with a Belgian cargo ship, opening a 20 meter gash on the starboard side of the Classica, affecting perhaps 15 staterooms, everyone had to rush to their muster stations. You can see the photos in the article.

Finally, google "Typhoon Megi Hong Kong" and read that the largest typhoon of 2010 is even as we speak bearing down on Hong Kong and Guandong, China this weekend. When British passengers on the Oct 23 sailing read the Daily Mail article, they grew alarmed and contacted Costa (I called my excellent travel agent Mark at OVC, and he called Costa and then forwarded their reply, see Costa letter at the end of my post.

My husband and I are cancelling the cruise (luckily we bought insurance), as well as our separate round trip air from Newark to Hong Kong, and the hotel room, because of A) the foolhardiness of flying into a typhoon B) Costa's assurance that the cruise will begin but on Monday the 25th, when anyone who examines the photos of the damage knows that those cabins on deck 5 will not be ready by then. C) Hong Kong has one of the best typhoon warning systems in Asia, and they'll probably close the port and no ships will be able to sail until they lift the restriction. If the airport closes, who wants to be deviated to Singapore or Korea? D) It's not that I'm superstitious, but that's two unfortunate events have happened to the Classica this week, and I no longer feel comfortable about this cruise, where so many of the ports (like Vietnam) have excursions to beautiful sites you have to drive to, if the roads are rendered impassable due to the torrential rains, those excursions will be cancelled. I also confess my doubts about whether Costa will do its best for the passengers. They've never alerted or let on about any of these situations, and there will be unsuspecting passengers who won't even know a typhoon is on route. Be safe, cruisers! Here's Costa's letter of yesterday:

Dear Guest,

On October 18th 2010, while approaching the port of Shanghai, the Costa Classica collided with a cargo vessel. As reported in the media, at no time were the passengers or crew in any danger and the cruise ship reached the port of Shanghai under her own steam.

The subsequent inspection revealed that, on Deck 5, the external superstructure of the cruise ship sustained damages that can be repaired in few days under the supervision of the competent Authorities.

The repair work is currently underway at a shipyard in Shanghai and will be certified by RINA, the Italian Shipping Register, which is an internationally recognized classification and certification body, by the Italian Authority and by the Shanghai Port Authority.

In order to allow the repairs completion, the Costa Classica will now be arriving in Hong Kong on October 25th 2010 instead of October 23rd 2010 as originally scheduled.

In order to ensure the full experience of the purchased vacation, the Guests booked to board the Costa Classica will be provided with two days’ accommodation and full board on October 23rd and 24th in Hong Kong.

In addition, on October 24, Costa Cruises will be offering Guests a complimentary excursion program in Hong Kong with lunch included.

The scheduled cruise is then confirmed with calls at Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong, with the only cancellation of Manila and Sanya, according to the following program:

Mon 25 Oct., 2010 HONG KONG TBD 18,00 Guests embarkation

Tue 26 Oct. At sea

Wed 27 Oct. At sea

Thu 28 Oct. KOTA KINABALU-BORNEO 08,00 18,00

Fri 29 Oct. BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN 08,00 14,00

Sat 30 Oct. At sea

Sun 31 Oct. SINGAPORE 08,00 19,00

Mon 1 Nov. At sea

Tue 2 Nov. HO CHI MINH CITY 08,00 16,30

Wed 3 Nov. At sea

Thu 4 Nov. DA-NANG 08,00 19,00

Fri 5 Nov. At sea

Sat 6 Nov. HONG KONG 05,00 21.30

Upon your arrival to Hong Kong you may proceed to the Hong Kong Cruise Terminal where you will be met by Costa Cruises shore-side staff and Costa Classica ship staff to assist you and provide you with all the information you need for your stay at the Hotel. In addition, a permanent information desk will be present at your Hotel for all the assistance.

We do recommend you review your rights under Costa’s Terms & Conditions relating to the change or cancellation of all or any part of the cruise. You may review Costa’s Terms and Conditions by logging on to costacruises.com, under “Cruise Ticket Contract”.

We wish you a pleasant holiday.

Kindest Regards

Well I am afraid I would have stuck with the cruise. MY own personal feeling is that having two days all expenses paid in Hong Kong is far from a deal breaker as its a wonderful city that needs/deserves at least 3 days to enjoy. The typhoon is about to make landfall in China within the next 36 hours, so that would be a non event insofar as leaving Shanghai on Monday. The repairs are almost complete, structurally at least, so again that would not worry me in the slightest especially as the cruise is not sold out anyway, so the loss of a handful of cabins would not entail that much difficulty for the crew or passengers.

It is a real shame that you cancelled what would have been an amazing trip...albeit with two posts less...I did the full itinerary in 2008 aboard Allegra and absolutely enjoyed every moment of it...as did my friends last year aboard Allegra and they missed Manila due to a typhoon, which they sailed through some bad weather unscathed.

Your choice, I hope that you will not regret that choice in the months to come.

Archived