RCL or Princess for Panama Canal?

Cruisin'BusyBee

I have the "cruise" itch again - thinking of doing Panama Canal either w/RCL (11 day on Jewel) out of Ft. Lauderdale or Princess (10 day on Coral) out of Ft. Lauderdale. I know that with RCL you do not actually go thru canal, is the cost worth it w/Princess to go thru canal? Any assistance/ideas/comments would be MOST appreciated! Thanks so much :) C/BB

I like RCI, now that you have a full disclosure here's my thoughts:D. Really depends on what you want to get out of the stop in Panama. If your are keenly interested in the Canal, then maybe Princess may be the way to go. I am assuming the Coral cruise is a partial transit, correct? What would make the Coral the better choice as far as seeing the Canal is the fact you would go through Gatun Locks on a large Panamax ship. Now if you really want to get a good look at the Canal, you could opt for the tour called Panama Canal Experience by Boat. This tour is a partial transit of the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. In my opinion this is the section of the Canal that has more visual appeal. Although this tour is not cheap and you have to purchase it through Princess, it will give almost a complete transit, as well as giving you the opportunity to see the Canal operations from two different perspectives.

If Gatun Locks satisfies your Canal thirst, then there are a number of tours your could take for sightseeing, history etc. after your morning lockage at Gatun. You will find the same or similar tours offered by RCI's stop in Colon. Of course you can always elect to remain on the ship for the return lockage through Gatun Locks. No bad choices here, it is just hard to fit everything in with one visit!

Archived