Cabin Doors

PurpleLaurie55

I'm wondering if cruisers decorate their cabin doors....

I cruised on Holland America for my honeymoon and a bunch of people decorated the outside of their cabin doors if they were celebrating something. My wife and I actually roamed the hallways seeing what people put up!

I didn't know if this was something specific to Holland America or if we'd find decorated doors on the Jewel!

people do it all the time on every cruise line. Well, i dunno if you'd see much on the muckity muck cruise lines, but on the mainstream ones, you do.

One of the things we do on our cruise, is wander the ship's stateroom decks, looking at the decorations.

We're decorating ours on our upcoming halloween cruise.

We decorated our door! I had made photo collages with photos of our dogs, with "Bone" one one page, and "Voyage" on another. It was cute to hear people as they were turning down our hall that they knew they were going the right way because of the dogs. :D

When we cruise again next year, I plan to do the same. Does anyone know if the Jewel has metal doors?

i don't know if the Jewel does but the Pearl does.

I'm saddened to see in the Freestyle Daily, a notice about excessive door decorating being a fire hazard and to suggest only decorating the inside of your door. Why decorate a door if you can only do the inside? lololol

On my first cruise with RCI, I have a Cruise Critic magnet that says my forum name on it and such. I put it on the front of my door and our cleaning lady person totally yelled at me for having it there. She was also a kind of natzi with things o.O

So, I take it that it normally is okay to put a magnet on a door?

I was hoping to put the magnet on the front of my door for my Spirit cruise in March.

My grandmother took us all away for her 90th birthday & we decorated her door & had her entire room decorated for her. It was cute, and it helped her spot her room more easily.

But, I didn't see much decoration on The Spirit. Just one room of newlyweds.

We decorated our door! I had made photo collages with photos of our dogs, with "Bone" one one page, and "Voyage" on another. It was cute to hear people as they were turning down our hall that they knew they were going the right way because of the dogs. :D

When we cruise again next year, I plan to do the same. Does anyone know if the Jewel has metal doors?

Yes, the Jewel has metal doors.:)

I always decorate both inside and the door for whatever season. On our upcoming cruise (12/11 - 1/8 Sun) I'll decorate for hubby's b'day, for Christmas, for New Year's and for our anniversary!! Our cabin attendants have always said they LOVE to come in our cabin and see what I've done.

Were there any specifics on door decorations that will be okay?

I'm wondering if cruisers decorate their cabin doors....

I cruised on Holland America for my honeymoon and a bunch of people decorated the outside of their cabin doors if they were celebrating something. My wife and I actually roamed the hallways seeing what people put up!

I didn't know if this was something specific to Holland America or if we'd find decorated doors on the Jewel!

On many of the cruise lines passengers decorate their cabin doors but I'd heard that NCL doesn't allow it. So, several months ago I'd asked on this NCL board if we were allowed to decorate cabin doors on NCL and I got mixed answers.

Some people had been told they couldn't decorate their doors because it was a fire hazard. In fact one person who'd posted said that twice they returned to their cabin and found their door decorations on their bed. Their cabin steward finally left a note saying it wasn't allowed.

Someone else reported that there was a note in the Freestyle Daily (the NCL ships' newsletter) saying that door decorations were not allowed.

And yet there were other people who posted photos of quite elaborate door decorations that were not disturbed at all on NCL. And none of the people who used magnetic door signs seemed to have them removed.

I decided that a door magnet couldn't be a fire hazard so I designed and ordered a large cardoor magnet from VistaPrint.com during one of their many 'free' sales (just pay nominal shipping charge) and I plan to put it on our cabin door next month when we're on the Sun. Hopefully it will be acceptable.

i think some decorations i've seen can clearly be a hazard. half a dozen balloons sticking out in the hallway, 3D palm trees, mardi gras beads, feather boas etc. IMO, it's not necessarily the material used in the decorations but the obstruction they cause. If there's an emergency and they're trying to evacuate, the last thing they need is stuff obstructing the passage of people in the hallways.

If it was the material the decorations were made of (ie: plastic/paper/metal etc) that was the fire hazard, they wouldn't tell you it's ok to decorate the inside of your door.

So, i'm going to be bringing my FLAT door decorations along and we'll see how it goes.

Yes, the Jewel has metal doors.:)

Thank you Automation! Our decorations last year on the Dawn were not 3D. Just 3 pages hung by magnets. We never had any complaints. FWIW the quote is: The reason a dog has so many friends is he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

th_cabin_door.jpg

I am also a Honda Element fan, and I have this magnet for my vehicle. It can also apply to being on a cruise as well! I might just bring it along.

th_InMyElement.jpg

We put a magnetic sign on our door on the Pearl (from VistaPrint), and they did not seem to have a problem with it. However, Freestyle Daily did have a note asking people not to put up door decorations, since they were fire hazard.

On the Pearl, our door had a ridged surface (sort of resembled a shutter-look), and I didn't know if a magnetic would hold to that, but it did.

Thank you everyone for your responses! We didn't do anything 3D on our door, just some flat "just married" signs attached with fun tack. I'm excited to know that the Jewel's doors are metal! Much easier! I'm also going to look into the vistaprint magnet.

Thank you!! :)

Archived