Stingrays for Dummies

charlsee

DH and I are not into water sports, but would like to see the stingrays on our cruise next March. Which excursion would you recommend and with which tour company? I might "jump in", but DH - not so much. We've done the turtle farm, hell, etc. before and we'd really like to see the stingrays here, going on a nice, safe boat. Thanks so much.

We need more information please...which port, which line?

OK, for your FIRST time with sting rays, just remember, they don't sting you unless you step on them, and you'll normally be floating in the water, so they are safe. Be aware, some are the size of VW's bugs, so when you first jump into the water, it can be quite frightening until you learn they aren't going to eat you. They are aware the guides bring food, so they eagerly bump into you wanted to be fed. They won't bit you, but it takes a bit of courage at first to handle the experience. They WILL suck you if you aren't careful with a hickey on your arm.

Some excusions don't allow you to personally feed them, some do. It is AWESOME to personally feed them, though it's strange they Hoover the food from your hand.

The neatest thing to do, when you get over your fear, they loved to be petted in a specific way...you cradle them in your arms, with you face to face with them, with your arms extended down either side.

It depends on the trip, sometimes there are hundreds of stingrays, sometimes there are only five.

There are two very different sting ray experiences...open sea or shallow water. Be aware in open sea, you really really get the bobbing like a cork effect, so need to feel secure with your swimming, even though you have a life vest on. It is VERY important to practice using a snorkel before the cruise...it's a learned art and vital for the experience...you can't see them unless your looking into the water.

It's more expensive and Much more crowded to use the ships excursion desk, but vastly easier with taxi's and all. You can look on the forums, or even ask which company/number to book at the specific port of call. Make sure you get current info., as the Hurricanes have drastically changed some of the trips, especially in Grand Cayman.

We need more information please...which port, which line?

OK, for your FIRST time with sting rays, just remember, they don't sting you unless you step on them, and you'll normally be floating in the water, so they are safe. Be aware, some are the size of VW's bugs, so when you first jump into the water, it can be quite frightening until you learn they aren't going to eat you. They are aware the guides bring food, so they eagerly bump into you wanted to be fed. They won't bit you, but it takes a bit of courage at first to handle the experience. They WILL suck you if you aren't careful with a hickey on your arm.

Some excusions don't allow you to personally feed them, some do. It is AWESOME to personally feed them, though it's strange they Hoover the food from your hand.

The neatest thing to do, when you get over your fear, they loved to be petted in a specific way...you cradle them in your arms, with you face to face with them, with your arms extended down either side.

It depends on the trip, sometimes there are hundreds of stingrays, sometimes there are only five.

There are two very different sting ray experiences...open sea or shallow water. Be aware in open sea, you really really get the bobbing like a cork effect, so need to feel secure with your swimming, even though you have a life vest on. It is VERY important to practice using a snorkel before the cruise...it's a learned art and vital for the experience...you can't see them unless your looking into the water.

It's more expensive and Much more crowded to use the ships excursion desk, but vastly easier with taxi's and all. You can look on the forums, or even ask which company/number to book at the specific port of call. Make sure you get current info., as the Hurricanes have drastically changed some of the trips, especially in Grand Cayman.

Thanks so much for the quick, extensive reply. We'll be on RCI's Voyager to Georgetown, GC. We don't even snorkel, but I'm game to try. Basically, we'd like to just go out for a nice, calm ride to see the Stingrays from the boat, so shallow water would be good, in case I get brave and go in. Which tour company would you advise for our situation? Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ummmm, errrr, you won't see anything from the boat...you're either in the water or you don't experience them. It's sort of like going to see a coral reef but not getting in the water. It's not a glass-bottom boat. I say this knowningly as I got in the ocean first and was surrounded by these huge creatures. My wife, not seeing them, jumped in next and literally WATER-WALKED her way back to the ship, discussing my family tree with disparaging remarks. :o)

It's not hard to learn to snorkle...you can even do it in your bathtub...you just remember to breathe through the snorkle and blow hard if it gets water in it. Actually the hardest part of the whole thing is getting BACK into the boat with the waves making the stairs go up and down...my suggestion: turn backwards to the stairs, and haul your backside onto the bottom step, then proceed.

Please don't miss the stingrays..they are awesome. You might want to consider the shallow water (waist deep) experience with them instead. For first timers, I would absolutely recommend using the ship excursion instead of trying to do one on your own.

Ummmm, errrr, you won't see anything from the boat...you're either in the water or you don't experience them. It's sort of like going to see a coral reef but not getting in the water. It's not a glass-bottom boat. I say this knowningly as I got in the ocean first and was surrounded by these huge creatures. My wife, not seeing them, jumped in next and literally WATER-WALKED her way back to the ship, discussing my family tree with disparaging remarks. :o)

It's not hard to learn to snorkle...you can even do it in your bathtub...you just remember to breathe through the snorkle and blow hard if it gets water in it. Actually the hardest part of the whole thing is getting BACK into the boat with the waves making the stairs go up and down...my suggestion: turn backwards to the stairs, and haul your backside onto the bottom step, then proceed.

Please don't miss the stingrays..they are awesome. You might want to consider the shallow water (waist deep) experience with them instead. For first timers, I would absolutely recommend using the ship excursion instead of trying to do one on your own.

Brockwest -- we did the shallow water version. No need for a snorkel, just a mask if you want to look at them under water. You can see them from the boat if you don't want to get in with them. White, sandy bottom and large gray rays swimming all around to get to the food -- not aggressively. The guides will hold them up for photo ops for those who choose to stay on the boat.

That was our experience.

... Make sure you get current info., as the Hurricanes have drastically changed some of the trips, especially in Grand Cayman.

Current info is that the last hurricane to pass over Grand Cayman was nearly six years ago. :rolleyes:

It was bad. REALLY bad. But really... no lasting effects that in any way effect shore excursions now... especially to the stingrays.

Twice, I have used Captain Marvins (<< find them by typing that into any search engine) and we were very pleased! Have another excursion booked with them in November, my parents are going to swim with the stingrays for their first time.

Which ever company you use (private or ships tour), be sure it goes to Stingray City. That's the sand bar where you will be able to stand in the water and touch bottom. No snorkel needed, just a mask if you want to look underwater at them (which you DO want to do). As mentioned, you cannot view them from a boat, all you will see is a dark blob drifting about. If you're gonna go, get in the water!! It's a little unnerving at first, but after a minute or so you realize how awesome it is! With Captain Marvins, we were allowed to feed the rays, I think with Carnival at least, there is no mention of feeding in the description, only petting and holding. So if you want to feed them, which I highly recommend, then go with a private company. Also, less people on a private tour = much better.

Have fun! It's great, you wont regret it.

We were allowed to feed the stingrays while on our recent ship excursion with the Allura catamaran. Not only were the stingrays exciting, but the catamaran was beautiful and so relaxing.:) The sandbar is only about waist deep, so don't feel you have to snorkel, although it was nice to see them floating under water. The point of entry from the boats is deep, but life jackets are available and some boats require you to wear one (though they don't make you inflate it). Just being in the water with them is fun. If you don't feel brave enough to reach out and touch one, it's okay - just stay away from the folks who are feeding them. Our group had a photo op, where the guide held a stingray for us to kiss and pet, and the stingray in turn flapped his wing in our faces. It was so cool!:D. They do touch you when they swim by, but don't worry, they are very soft.;). The most important thing to remember to avoid an encounter with their tail is to glide your feet along the bottom a/k/a "the stingray shuffle". The experience is great - don't miss it!:)

I used Capt Marvins last year to go out to the "sandbar" this place is often confused with "stingray city" sandbar is where most tour boats go for people to see the stingrays. The water is only about 3-5 feet here so you can stand up if you prefer (just watch your step) or you can snorkel and see stingrays up close and personal. "stingtay city" is a place where scuba divers go and its depth is about 15 feet. Its OK for snorkeling but sandbar is much better for snorkelers. Most tour boats will visit the sand bar. I highly recommend doing this while in GC. diving or snorkeling with the southern stingrays is by far my fav things to do in GC. Capt Marvins is a great outfit for a sandbar tour to see the rays. You can also easily see them from inside the boat if you choose to not get in the water...though the experience is much better with your face in the water.

Charlsee:

DW and I visited the sandbar in 2005--incredible experience, we'd go back there in half a heartbeat. I really can't add much to the other advice given, it's all pretty spot-on. You will miss 95% of the experience if you are merely looking at them in the water--GET OUT OF THE BOAT!!!!!

DW says feeding stingrays is like feeding horses--let them suck the squid/bait off your flat, open hand. They will brush by you like a friendly cat looking for affection, so don't be afraid as they glide, or rather fly through the water past you. They _are_ soft--imagine wet velvet--and have very intelligent-looking eyes (they look back at you pretty much like you are looking at them). And, for the zillionth time, these 'rays are accustomed to being in the presence of and interacting with humans in a familiar environment; not tame, but NOT like the feral one that Steve Irwin ran afoul of in the middle of the ocean. If you choose to hold one, keep their gills in the water, just support the wings a little and they'll flap gently in your arms. I didn't kiss one for luck, but there's always next time!

Have a blast, and come back and tell us of your experience!

We cruised just last week and did stingray city (the shallow sandbar other posters have referred to) with stingraysailing.com and would definitely recommend them. They use a catamaran, and the other boats we saw at the sandbar were all power boats. Other than the 'rays and the reef, the best part was the trip back under full sail. Very cool. They take groups no larger than about 25, and let you feed the stingrays (I never thought I would, but when my 15 year old did, I figured I'd better keep up!). We had a great time - it was truly amazing experience.

• 3 weeks later...
We cruised just last week and did stingray city (the shallow sandbar other posters have referred to) with stingraysailing.com and would definitely recommend them. They use a catamaran, and the other boats we saw at the sandbar were all power boats. Other than the 'rays and the reef, the best part was the trip back under full sail. Very cool. They take groups no larger than about 25, and let you feed the stingrays (I never thought I would, but when my 15 year old did, I figured I'd better keep up!). We had a great time - it was truly amazing experience.

I am so excited! We are going with StingRaysailing.com in a few weeks. My daughter used them the last time she was in GC and raved about the excursion. Now we get to try it with her soon! So glad you enjoyed them also, makes me want to hurry up the next few weeks!

We did the Stingray City excursion as part of our dolphin encounter, and we were able to see the stingrays from the boat because the water is crystal clear. We got in for the full experience (including feeding and holding), but several people stayed on the boat or got back on early and were still able to see with no problems.

Archived