Fair Winds Snorkel

dobie

We will be in Kona on Sat March 26, on the Island Princess. We are scheduled to arrive at 8 AM. We booked the Fair Winds catamaran leaving at 9 AM. We do have priority tender tickets so should be able to get off quickly. We can catch a taxi, but the Fair Winds people said that maybe we could "reserve" a taxi? Emi and Spleen, do you know about this? And Emi, I know that you are in Kona, but Spleen, don't know what island your "beach" is on... We have really enjoyed Hawaii the other times we have been there and we are looking for new opportunities...thank you so much!!

Thanks Spleen. I'll see what she comes up with, or go with one of your links...thank you so much!! The only times we have been on Oahu was coming in and leaving.....we made it to the Memorial, saw the movie and displays but did not make it actually out to the AZ as our flight was leaving...this time we are there from 8 AM to 11 PM on Mon March 28. To be honest, the other times we were there we were not impressed because we really don't like big cities and we just saw the city....I'm sure that there is a lot more to see, so we shall look forward to it.....

To be honest, the other times we were there we were not impressed because we really don't like big cities and we just saw the city....I'm sure that there is a lot more to see, so we shall look forward to it.....

But you're from Tucson, which is the 2nd largest cty in AZ with a population of 900,000 ... :D

Spleen

Thanks guys. Any idea who I should call? Thanks again....

We are planning the Fairwinds snorkel for our cruise in August and also have to figure out the taxi situation. Here's a list of Hawaii Taxi services with contact numbers.

http://www.thestateofhawaii.com/taxi/

I haven't called any yet, so don't know much more. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks!

Julie

Thank you all, I will check them, and Spleen, until you've seen Tucson you have no idea....we have a "downtown" area that comprises, I don't know, maybe 2 square miles?? I go there for jury duty.,,,,but it's probably not that big.......the rest of the town is spread out way out and out!! We have "the" freeway, and to get from our house to the freeway takes 45 minutes (if we hit the lights right). Anytime anybody tries to get a cross town freeway or redo the roads.....you don't want to be here to hear the outcry!! Our tallest building is....I don't know, not very tall, I've never been in it....maybe 20 stories?? Our house is on an acre, we have lots of desert around, lots of javalinas, coyotes, etc....but the new houses are more "suburban"--they are even making houses that are 2 stories tall!!! And that just didn't happen 15 years ago......they are all in a row with yards that you can look down upon from next door. I grew up in a Chicago suburb, my brother still lives in the city, and I guess I just meant that I don't like the tall buildings, cement, traffic, etc, which, unfortunately is all that we have seen of Oahu since we were just "passing thru"....

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Spleen and Emi for all the great and specific information you give us. We've been surfing this board for the last couple of years and you have really helped when we visit Hawaii - our very favorite place I might add! We'll be back in September-October doing b/bs on Carnival Spirit. Two years ago at Spleen's recommendation we found the Giovanni Shrimp Truck - what a kick and oh SO good! For Dobie - hope you will tell us about your Fairwind experience and, in particular, how you got to the boat on time!

I think I should quit one of my jobs and on cruise days shuttle people back and forth to the Fair Winds and the snorkle beach whose name has just left my brain...duh!! starts with a k....lol! Wait...it came back Kahalu'u...

Emi

Thought I had it all figured out by renting a car from Enterprise - BUT, we're going to be there on a Saturday and they close at Noon on those days! Oh, well, guess we'll have to depend on taxis and last minute Fairwind reservations to get us to the boat on time!

• 1 month later...

We made it to the Fairwind. Got priority tender tickets, we were on the first tender off, then grabbed the first taxi in line. Got there about 8:40. It was a great trip. Would definitely recommend it. Our taxi driver came back and picked us up, brought us to the Ocean Sports Bar so we could watch our Arizona Widcats give away their berth in the final four.....

Dobie:Thanks for passing along the info on Fairwind. I hope we can make it when we go in October. Was the Fairwind full? I'm hesitant about paying upfront until I'm sure we can make it. Was there a ladder down into the water - easy in - easy out? Did you see turtles? Too many questions!? Any further info greatly appreciated!!

Bucky: there were several ways to get off. There were ladders forward, and aft there were stairs,2 sets, very easy not steep at all stairs, just like climbing a staircase. There ws also the water slide and high dive. I took the aft sissy stairs. They were so wide that you could sit on them to take off your snorkel gear and get your inner tube on. Very, very comfortable. They had the inner tubes, masks, fins...the crew was very informative, one of them was even from Tucson and told me he was growning Konazona coffee beans....they were very nice. I am hoping I can get some pics up tomorrow, we got home on Monday evening and I've worked every day since then. Tomorrow I have off but back to work on Monday, so I'll do my best. I think you'll really enjoy the trip, we did!!!

Emi, the bar was fine, no smoking inside, the food was good, but the wrong team won!! They had several TVs and pool tables, and some outside tables. We saw one of the bartenders chasing some people off who had either cigarettes or beer in their hands. Is there a rule? We loved it that wherever we were in Hawaii nobody was smoking if we were in a restaurant. Is that a state thing or an individual restaurant thing? It was even better to be able to watch the Wildcats humiliate themselves without having to breathe in cigarette smoke....that would have made it worse.....the walk back to the ship was bad enough.....except for the sighting of the sea tortoise...

Archived