Miami port to FLL is it possible?

twilightcruiser14

I am sailing on Liberty of the Seas the week of 11/21/10. The ship docks in Miami at 6am. My flight is in FLL at 9:40am. I am flying Southwest and I have priority security check-in at the airport. What is the quickest way (taxi, limo etc) to get there and is it possible? Has anyone ever done this successfully? Thanks for any suggestions.

Straight answer - the quickest way would be a taxi.

However, 9:40 AM is too early for a Ft Lauderdale flight if the ship you're on docks in Miami. If you are lucky and have no delay whatsoever, by the time you clear customs, it will be between 7:00 and 8:00 AM by the time you get off the ship and to the taxi pickup area. Add 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to FLL, and that will put you there between 7:45 and 9:00 - that's if there is no ship/customs delay - which does happen frequently.

I'm sure that there are plently of people on this board who have had flights scheduled later than yours, and they have wound up missing them. Since you're on SW, you can just pay the difference in fare to get switched to a later flight. However, if you wait until the day of your return instead of doing it now, you will end up paying the full fare to switch on your return date if you do miss the flight.

I am sailing on Liberty of the Seas the week of 11/21/10. The ship docks in Miami at 6am. My flight is in FLL at 9:40am. I am flying Southwest and I have priority security check-in at the airport. What is the quickest way (taxi, limo etc) to get there and is it possible? Has anyone ever done this successfully? Thanks for any suggestions.

NO WAY should you book a flight that early!! You aren't getting off the ship at 6:00. The ship needs to clear customs before you even have a chance of walking off with your own luggage. And the port of Miami is slooow on busy days. (There are many posts here of delays.) Then get to FLL for a flight along with the thousands of others traveling during Thanksgiving week??? I wouldn't try it if I was flying out of Miami, let alone having to get to FLL.:eek:

If you can handle stress and the risk of not getting on the plane, okay, try it. Cab would be the fastest. I would definitely have other flights figured out if you miss this one. And remember most flights will be booked full due to the peak week.

Why not just book a later flight...if there are seats available on the more feasible flight times.

Good luck.:confused:

Many people do what you do but the flight is too early.

I would change your flight to a later one. The good thing is that Soutwest does not charge penalties to change your flight other than you pay the difference if the new flight is more expensive or get a reduction if it is lower. I really would change it now and not wait for the day of the trip because seats might not be available on the next flight.

It is just too early.

Keith

They only way you will make this flight is if there are zero delays for the vessel, you are the very first person off the ship, and you take a helicopter to FLL airport from the Port of Miami.

Remember you must check in physically by 8:40AM at the airport.

Sorry to say, I totally agree with everyone else so far. Change your flight. Even if you don't check luggage and eliminate that line at the airport, security can be a beast at Ft. Lauderdale. Long lines and lots of folks who don't know the ropes.

The drive up I-95 can be delayed for ANYTHING, I'm serious, a guy changing a tire on the shoulder can back it up.

You want a flight that departs at noon or after.

Archived