Has anyone just taken a taxi to a beach at the La Romana cruise port???

AngelKappie

Hi Everyone!!!!!

Having a really hard time tring to figure out what to do at this port! All the excursions are expensive though Carnival! We would just like to take a taxi to a beach, do our own excursion.

Is it safe there to do this? How are the taxi's there?

What beach do you all recommend to go to? Does it cost anything to go on the beach?

Thanks for any kind of help you can give me, LOST on what to do!!!!!

We are going on the same cruise at Christmas and this is the hardest port that I have ever had to plan an activity. Everything I read sounds scary just to get off the ship...thieves, malaria. I was considering taken a taxi to Bayhibe which is suppose to be a beautiful beach, but it is surrounded with resorts. They do have a public beach there that we might try. I have also read that it is topless...oh well. Let me know if you find anything interesting. It just seems like you can not find many threads on what to do in this port...why are we even stopping...

No NOTHING!!!!

REALLY thinking of just staying on the ship!

Don't know!

I am waiting until the first time this itinerary sails 10/18/2010 to see what they all say about this port! Hopefully will hear more about it!

I really not liking this port!!!!

We are sailing this itinerary Feb.7 2011. We are thinking of taking a taxi to the Dreams Resort. All inclusive for $65 pp. Would love to hear some feedback as to the availability of taxi's and reliability. Also wondering the distance, I heard it was about 35 minutes from the port.

When we stopped in Samana we did the ATV tour and had a freaking blast! It is a beautiful place with wonderful people. At the end of our cruise Samana and Tortola were our favorite ports. I personally would never consider staying on the ship and missing out on seeing the lush green hills, meeting some amazing people and having a great time. Now if you get off the ship and just walk around you will not enjoy Samana. I really believe you have to get away from the tender drop off spot to see the true beauty of Samana.

We took a taxi to LaBahibe beach a couple years ago and had a great time. There were about 10 of us from our roll call in the taxi van. It's a beautiful beach where you can rent beach chairs and there is a bar where they bring your drinks to you.

We took a taxi to LaBahibe beach a couple years ago and had a great time. There were about 10 of us from our roll call in the taxi van. It's a beautiful beach where you can rent beach chairs and there is a bar where they bring your drinks to you.

Was it easy getting a taxi at the port? how far of a walk from ship to area where taxi's are? Also coming back to the ship how was it getting a taxi?

Thanks for your help! ;)

When we stopped in Samana we did the ATV tour and had a freaking blast! It is a beautiful place with wonderful people. At the end of our cruise Samana and Tortola were our favorite ports. I personally would never consider staying on the ship and missing out on seeing the lush green hills, meeting some amazing people and having a great time. Now if you get off the ship and just walk around you will not enjoy Samana. I really believe you have to get away from the tender drop off spot to see the true beauty of Samana.

I rather the ship was stopping at Samana, but the port is La Romana! I know we probably will be doing something!

Thanks for input! :)

We were in Samana in May, we were not going to get off the ship because of things that we had read. We are so glad that we did, we had a short 5 min walk along the beach front to the town. There were some great tables set up with lovely jewelery and carvings also lots of paintings set up alone the beach. We purchased 3 very large paintings that look lovely on our walls. There is a lot of people along the way, especially children trying to sell you things but we found that a polite no thank you worked very well. We were supposed to take the shuttle to Ricon beach but we canceled after the ship left us a flyer stating that the roads are not in good condition and the trip would take a lot longer and be very bumpy. I am so glad we didn't pass up this port, yes it is different and they have a lot of people asking you to purchase things, the beach is somewhat polluted with garbage but it is also such a lovely country. Go ashore even to just take pictures, you wont regret it.:)

I rather the ship was stopping at Samana, but the port is La Romana! I know we probably will be doing something!

Thanks for input! :)

From everything I have read about Samana and La Romana these ports seem to be best enjoyed through an excursion. I know you are going to La Romana but wanted to give my input about getting off the ship and doing an excursion if you can. I hope someone can give you a good reference about a tour they did in La Romana and if you do get off the ship, have a great time!

from everything i have read about samana and la romana these ports seem to be best enjoyed through an excursion. I know you are going to la romana but wanted to give my input about getting off the ship and doing an excursion if you can. I hope someone can give you a good reference about a tour they did in la romana and if you do get off the ship, have a great time!

thanks! ;)

No NOTHING!!!!

REALLY thinking of just staying on the ship!

Don't know!

I am waiting until the first time this itinerary sails 10/18/2010 to see what they all say about this port! Hopefully will hear more about it!

I really not liking this port!!!!

I'll be on the 10/18 cruise and have been frustrated by this port. As of right now we are heavily leaning towards making this a stay on the ship day. Carnival's beach day excursion is expensive ($79 pp)although it does include alcohol. You end up with a little over 3 hours at the beach after factoring in a 30 minute ride to and from the beach. If it were a longer day or included lunch it may be worth considering. This is also a tender port which makes staying on board even more appealing.

I'll be on the 10/18 cruise and have been frustrated by this port. As of right now we are heavily leaning towards making this a stay on the ship day. Carnival's beach day excursion is expensive ($79 pp)although it does include alcohol. You end up with a little over 3 hours at the beach after factoring in a 30 minute ride to and from the beach. If it were a longer day or included lunch it may be worth considering. This is also a tender port which makes staying on board even more appealing.

HI!!!!!

La Romana is not a Tender port, Catalina is! Just for your info! I know I to am not crazy about tendering!!! BUT if we were going to Catalina instead of La Romana I would not mind the tendering so much! Rather be going to Catalina Island instead!!!!

I agree would not be so bad if it included lunch too!!!!! BUT we are traveling with 4 others, 2 teens and 2 elderly, so not much drinking for them! SO a lot of money!

HI!!!!!

La Romana is not a Tender port, Catalina is! Just for your info! I know I to am not crazy about tendering!!! BUT if we were going to Catalina instead of La Romana I would not mind the tendering so much! Rather be going to Catalina Island instead!!!!

I agree would not be so bad if it included lunch too!!!!! BUT we are traveling with 4 others, 2 teens and 2 elderly, so not much drinking for them! SO a lot of money!

Kathy thanks for the info about it not being a tendering port. Not sure why I thought it was a tendering port. Dh and I just went through Carnival's list of excursions again and nothing really sounds like a "must do". He was searching for info about this port and came up with the same thing I did. Nothing at the port except parking and information. You really have to have a tour or a plan set up in advance. I'm not comfortable hiring a taxi without knowing where we should go. I'll report back if I find something :)

Kathy thanks for the info about it not being a tendering port. Not sure why I thought it was a tendering port. Dh and I just went through Carnival's list of excursions again and nothing really sounds like a "must do". He was searching for info about this port and came up with the same thing I did. Nothing at the port except parking and information. You really have to have a tour or a plan set up in advance. I'm not comfortable hiring a taxi without knowing where we should go. I'll report back if I find something :)

I know I still don't know what to do there!!!!!

Looking forward to see what everyone on your cruise says!!!

Don't mean to rush it!

Have a GREAT time! I am sure you guys will!!!!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing on 10/18 and still aren't sure what we are doing at this port. I asked about this port on another forum and this is what I learned. The town is Bayhabie, and there are 2 public beaches that you can easily get to by cab. Can't find out exactly what the cost is but it is only about 7 miles away. The town is a quaint fishing town not yet spoiled by "progress". The cab can drop you at either beach and there are chairs to rent and refreshment to purchase. The beaches are small and not part of a resort although the resort beaches are apparently right next to them. I was asking about a beach that was best for someone with portable oxygen and limited walking ability. The beach at Dominicus seems bigger but will involve a bit more walking as it seems the cab can't drop you quiete as close. Here is the exact response I received:

"There are plenty of taxis from La Romana port. Best beach for you is Bayahibe Beach. the taxi can leave you right in to the beach but is not a large beach. There is plenty of shadow, little cafes with tables and chairs and there also 'traditional deck chair' that you can rent. You can eat some traditional dominican food or if you don't fancy it , there are also some restaurants by the beach a bit further from the actual beach.

Taxis you can wait for you or you can get their number to call them back. Also you can ask them to get you at certain time.

There is another beach in Dominicus, but the public beach it is harder to get as they don't allow cars any more to get close to the beach and you will have to go. There is not as much shadow as in Bayahibe Beach"

We will know more in a few weeks!!!!!

Hey Travel Bear and Upstate Cruizer, please keep us December cruisers informed as to what you find in La Romana. It might make the difference between a day on the ship or a day at the beach. I would much rather find a nice beach, kick back a few drinks and enjoy the day, but not if it is a hassle or not secure. Please let us know what you find out. My plan right now is to take a cab to Bayahibe beach, but would like to know what to expect to pay. Thanks a lot and Have a Great Cruise.

Hey Travel Bear and Upstate Cruizer, please keep us December cruisers informed as to what you find in La Romana. It might make the difference between a day on the ship or a day at the beach. I would much rather find a nice beach, kick back a few drinks and enjoy the day, but not if it is a hassle or not secure. Please let us know what you find out. My plan right now is to take a cab to Bayahibe beach, but would like to know what to expect to pay. Thanks a lot and Have a Great Cruise.

This is what we want to do too!!! JUST go to a beach for a couple of hours without having to spend tons on money!!!! there is 6 of us, 2 adults, 2 elderly, and 2 teens! We also can not walk really far either!

ENJOY your cruises!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!! :D

will wait for info til then. we sail 11/3.

hope it's a good stop, not like half moon cay, very boring!

I'm also on the 10/18 cruise. I guess we're the guinea pigs, right? A few of us have discussed this port in the last couple days if you'd like to read our roll call. I'm still not sure if I'm doing Carnival's Bayahibe beach break, or going with a group to Dreams via taxi, or just staying on the ship. I just hate to stay on the ship though.

If any of you learn anything else about this port, would you please post it to this thread so I (we) can read it? I check this thread every day for information.

Have you checked out TripAdvisor.com for reviews of this port, Bayahibe or Dreams or any of the other places? If you're not familiar with it, you can view the traveler's personal photos (on the right side of the page). They are much more accurate than the photos you find on a hotel's website.

I promise I will post a message to this thread when we get back (we return on the 26th). Hopefully some others will, too. Wish we weren't the first cruise to stop at this port. We don't have any reviews to read from past cruisers.

A response I received from someone I emailed in LaRomana was:

In the dock there are numerous safe and reliable taxis, the costs will be around $60-$70 for a round trip fare to Bayahibe in a 11 seat minibus taxi. From the dock it is a +- 25 minutes drive to Bayahibe.

So I guess the best options is to line up people and split the taxi cost for a day at Bayahibe.

Anxious to hear what you all have to say once you have been there.

Judy

A response I received from someone I emailed in LaRomana was:

In the dock there are numerous safe and reliable taxis, the costs will be around $60-$70 for a round trip fare to Bayahibe in a 11 seat minibus taxi. From the dock it is a +- 25 minutes drive to Bayahibe.

So I guess the best options is to line up people and split the taxi cost for a day at Bayahibe.

Anxious to hear what you all have to say once you have been there.

Judy

Thanks for the info!!!!

I think this is what we will do!!!! ;)

Even if it is just our family not bad price compared to what is on the Carnival website!!!!

Archived