Has anyone just taken a taxi to a beach at the La Romana cruise port???

AngelKappie

Hi everyone! We are in the same "boat" (LOL) as you all....looking for something affordable for our family of 4 when we are there in February. We are not beach folks, so were thinking of going into Santo Domingo (the capitol of the Dominican Repub). Is anyone else who is going before us planning this excursion? Would really love some feedback on this tour when you return. Any and all info is GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!!

Hey UpstateCruizer, Travel Bear, ChrissyBTX, origionaljerseygirl and AngelKappie:

Well I guess Chrissy is right ya'll are the guinea pigs here! There are quite a few people on the roll call for the cruise we are on in December who have no idea either what to do in La Romana. I would almost rather skip this port, then to spend money on a taxi or excursion that is not worth it. I have heard a lot of people make the same remarks about Belize, though I have never been there. Regardless, I hope all of you have a wonderful cruise and please do not forget us late bloomers who are waiting for your reports. Happy Sailing to All!!!

Hey UpstateCruizer, Travel Bear, ChrissyBTX, origionaljerseygirl and AngelKappie:

Well I guess Chrissy is right ya'll are the guinea pigs here! There are quite a few people on the roll call for the cruise we are on in December who have no idea either what to do in La Romana. I would almost rather skip this port, then to spend money on a taxi or excursion that is not worth it. I have heard a lot of people make the same remarks about Belize, though I have never been there. Regardless, I hope all of you have a wonderful cruise and please do not forget us late bloomers who are waiting for your reports. Happy Sailing to All!!!

yes, guinea pigs!

there seems to be confusion about the area we are stopping.

let me start by saying i'm going on the miracle, 11/3.

the itinery calls for "CATALINA ISLAND, D.R.", not "LA ROMANA".

i might be wrong, but La Romana is on the main land. and Catalina Island is just off that.

soooooo, let me know if i'm wrong!!!

audrey

yes, guinea pigs!

there seems to be confusion about the area we are stopping.

let me start by saying i'm going on the miracle, 11/3.

the itinery calls for "CATALINA ISLAND, D.R.", not "LA ROMANA".

i might be wrong, but La Romana is on the main land. and Catalina Island is just off that.

soooooo, let me know if i'm wrong!!!

audrey

YES you are right!!!! You are lucky! I rather go to Catalina Island! We are on the Carnival Miracle Thanksgiving week, and we port at La Romana! We can go to Cartalina Island from LaRomana BUT costs $69pp!!!! And for the price you only get 1 drink and transportation! THAT is IT!!! Have a great cruise!!!!! :D

Just got home today from the Miracle 10/18 cruise. I ended up doing the Bayahibe Beach Break through Carnival. I took several photos of the beach and will post them to this thread no later than this weekend. A few other people that went there really liked it. I didn't like it at all. Everyone has different opinions I guess.

I also heard that a man on our cruise walked into town from the ship, wearing a gold necklace. A few locals walked up to him, yanked his gold chain off of his neck and pulled everything from both of his pockets, including his money.

We stayed at a hotel on Hollywood Beach (pre-cruise) and one of the bartenders at our hotel used to live in La Romana (for two years). He returned to the states last year. He did tell us not to wander into town. He was robbed when he was there and said you need to be aware of everything that is going on around you. He said a man tried to befriend him while he was at a bar or restaurant and kept hanging around him. When he reached for his wallet to pay the bill, this guy tried to snatch it. He said he knew it was coming and held onto his wallet tightly when he pulled it out. He punched the guy in the face and he ran off.

A few of the other people on our cruise ended up going to Dreams La Romana and they said it was fabulous and said the beach was beautiful. They contacted Dreams in advance and arranged for a "hotel" taxi to pick them up at the port. They had no problems at all. It was $60 for a day pass and they split the taxi fare which was around $6.00 per person I think?? I wish I had gone with them.

Any questions?

Just got home today from the Miracle 10/18 cruise. I ended up doing the Bayahibe Beach Break through Carnival. I took several photos of the beach and will post them to this thread no later than this weekend. A few other people that went there really liked it. I didn't like it at all. Everyone has different opinions I guess.

I also heard that a man on our cruise walked into town from the ship, wearing a gold necklace. A few locals walked up to him, yanked his gold chain off of his neck and pulled everything from both of his pockets, including his money.

We stayed at a hotel on Hollywood Beach (pre-cruise) and one of the bartenders at our hotel used to live in La Romana (for two years). He returned to the states last year. He did tell us not to wander into town. He was robbed when he was there and said you need to be aware of everything that is going on around you. He said a man tried to befriend him while he was at a bar or restaurant and kept hanging around him. When he reached for his wallet to pay the bill, this guy tried to snatch it. He said he knew it was coming and held onto his wallet tightly when he pulled it out. He punched the guy in the face and he ran off.

A few of the other people on our cruise ended up going to Dreams La Romana and they said it was fabulous and said the beach was beautiful. They contacted Dreams in advance and arranged for a "hotel" taxi to pick them up at the port. They had no problems at all. It was $60 for a day pass and they split the taxi fare which was around $6.00 per person I think?? I wish I had gone with them.

Any questions?

Did you by any chance hear anyone say they did the beach and Altos de Chavon?

Did you by any chance hear anyone say they did the beach and Altos de Chavon?

Sorry, but I didn't talk to anyone that did any land tours or anything other than Dreams La Romana and Bayahibe Beach Break. I just started a new thread on La Romana. I'll post a message to our roll call and ask them to put in a review of La Romana on the new thread.

We did La Romana on our own. Once you exit ship and go up the hill you will find the cabs. There is a lady who negotiates your rate and walks over to get the van. Prices range 50 and up and are not consistant. The van proceeds to drive you out of the "compound". It is a fenced in large parking lot area. You go past the guard and out to the public road. You are not allowed to walk out of the gate, must be in cab. Ride takes 25-30 minutes along local road. Some sights to see - the dam, a few poor homes, someone who sells roadside handmade furniture, etc. Van will bring you to the public beach. Price for chairs/palapya is 5.00 per item. Check the lounge, the first one had a huge bug that appeared to be a roach and a few water type bugs. Our boy for the day did replace the lounger and no bugs on it or the other one/s used. The beach and water were nice, but not like Punta Cana, but then again that was a resort. Food and Drink available at reasonable price. US money fine. Bring some smaller bills. Big push by the boy for the day to sell you things and he often reminds you of his tip at end. While he was persistant he would leave you for some periods of time for r and r and he wasn't hard to ignore for periods of time. We did buy drinks and some cigars and our friends did buy souveniers. I thought the prices of souveniers was high and there wasn't anything really unique. Upon our return to the port as we entered the gated lot, the guard did pull the cab driver's papers and reviewed them before letting the cab proceed. Security into the port area was tight and we appreciated that. I don't know that I would do it again. I feel the transport price was high and beach was nice but not special.

Thanks Travel Bear for that review. The taxi charges are per person or just per ride? We have nine in our party so how much do you think they would charge us based on what you paid? Did you do any snorkeling? Once again I must reinterate the negative reviews far outweigh the positive. Maybe if enough people complain to Carnival they will drop this port...too late for us though.

Me and my husband will be on the December 5th Carnival miracle. We would like to go to The Dreams. IF anyone else is on the same cruise and wants to arrange everything together with us, let us know! Thanks.

My dh and I are very interested! - Either Dreams or stay on the ship appears to be our options. Please let us know how we can help plan. thanks!

The cost would be higher for nine and I am not sure if the van would hold nine but even 2 vans would be less than a tour. Perhaps as more people post you will get a more accurate answer. My guess would be for 9, figure 10.00 pp round trip. Anyone else have a better estimate?

• 4 months later...

I am just bringing back this thread.

I am especially interested in the price of a taxi from the port to Dreams? We have 5 (4 adults and 1 child) Also how long it takes to get there. Do they typically charge per person or per ride, and if it is for the car load, how many people do they hold?

I have done ALOT of research for this answer and the prices I have found have been from several years ago.

posted by dec2007w3boys Originally Posted by tdgonzalez0406 viewpost.gif

Me and my husband will be on the December 5th Carnival miracle. We would like to go to The Dreams. IF anyone else is on the same cruise and wants to arrange everything together with us, let us know! Thanks

If either of you are reading this I was hoping you could shine some light on the topic for me!

Thanks again!

Archived