ALL NEW! Everything Explorer of the Seas! Come on in!!

We're coming into NJ on fri feb 4 and sail out on the 6th looking at the Holland lodge for a couple nights to tour NY and surrounding areas.

Is this a decent and safe place to stay at?

we want to be able to drive to the port and park on our own,just need a decent and inexpensive place to stay.

Any info would be greatly apreciated.

Paul:)

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the Trip Advisor reviews - rooms by the hour, bulletproof glass, etc. etc.

What is your budget? What are your plans in NY? Where are you driving in from? I am also on the Feb 6 Explorer cruise - I'm doing a park/sleep at Newark Airport - $117 with room, 14 days parking, and breakfast. There are lots of options in the area, but the Holland Lodge is certainly not one that we recommend.

We're coming into NJ on fri feb 4 and sail out on the 6th looking at the Holland lodge for a couple nights to tour NY and surrounding areas.

we want to be able to drive to the port and park on our own,just need a decent and inexpensive place to stay.

Check here for help.

paperclip.gif firstnew.gif Explorer - february 6, 2011 - winter express to fun and sun (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page)

I was looking on Hotwire - there is a 2 1/2* hotel at Newark Airport which is highly likely to be Country Inns for $78/night incl taxes and includes breakfast. This would be nonrefundable. This is a favorite with cruisers - we stayed there in Nov and were very satisfied. Options for going into NYC would include the bus from Jersey Gardens Mall next door or driving up the turnpike 2 exits to Secaucus Junction, pay to park (not a problem on a Saturday), and take NJ Transit into NYC.

The park/sleep is available on www.trinityreservations.com - the web site has a number to call to arrange transportation which is very reasonably priced. New York would be best accessed from Secaucus Junction from these hotels.

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the Trip Advisor reviews - rooms by the hour, bulletproof glass, etc. etc.

What is your budget? What are your plans in NY? Where are you driving in from? I am also on the Feb 6 Explorer cruise - I'm doing a park/sleep at Newark Airport - $117 with room, 14 days parking, and breakfast. There are lots of options in the area, but the Holland Lodge is certainly not one that we recommend.

Wow thanks for the heads up:eek: you guys are great,we are a group of 12 and are driving in from Toronto,just want to do some sightseeing and want to visit CARLOS BAKERY:D.

we're not really keen on doing the park/sleep as we want to be flexable as to when we arive at the port or leave,we're only looking for a decent place to sleep as we'll be out most of the day.

Thanks for all the great help,i'll take a look at the roll call.

Paul.

Wow!!! I can't believe what I am seeing for Feb 4-6. The Hyatt Regency in Jersey City (a 4* hotel on the Hudson at the Exchange Place Path Station) is running a LIMITED time offer of $99/night ($116 incl tax). Figure out how many rooms you need and BOOK THIS RIGHT NOW. It will be gone. It is a NonRefundable rate. I went into Kayak.com under group bookings and it showed up. There is a phone number - 1-800-230-4134

Advantages - you are 1 Path stop from the World Trade Center - folks in your group can go to and from NY quickly on their own schedule. The hotel will be a huge crowd pleaser - no one is going to complain to you about this hotel. The area around the hotel is safe, so folks only need to take normal urban precautions.

Disadvantages - You are going to have to pay for parking in Jersey City because it is so close to Manhattan. If you pick this hotel we can look around the area for a reasonable parking rate on the weekend - the hotel garage charges $32/night but there are definitely much cheaper options in the area which we can research.

The other disadvantage is the way the Path service works to get directly to midtown. You will ALWAYS be able to take Path one stop to the World Trade Center in downtown NY and then the NY subway wherever. On Friday night you will be able to take a Hoboken train from Exchange Place to Newport and change to the uptown 33rd St. train and do the reverse coming back OR take a Newark train to Grove St and change to the uptown 33rd St. train. However, on a Saturday you can only take a Newark train to Grove St to get the 33rd St. train, which goes first to Hoboken and then to 33rd St. Folks in your group are going to need a Path map and a basic understanding of how the weekend service works. They are also going to need a NY subway map - If you are in NYC and are going to pay for a subway ride anyway, it is almost always faster to go to World Trade and take Path to Exchange Place than it is to go to 33rd St. and take Path.

There are other options out there - The Hilton Penn Station Newark is showing at $101 + tax and Candlewood Suites in Jersey City is showing at $120 + tax. Parking would be extra for both of these hotels as well, but the NY transportation is excellent.

Wow!!! I can't believe what I am seeing for Feb 4-6. The Hyatt Regency in Jersey City (a 4* hotel on the Hudson at the Exchange Place Path Station) is running a LIMITED time offer of $99/night ($116 incl tax). Figure out how many rooms you need and BOOK THIS RIGHT NOW. It will be gone. It is a NonRefundable rate. I went into Kayak.com under group bookings and it showed up. There is a phone number - 1-800-230-4134

Advantages - you are 1 Path stop from the World Trade Center - folks in your group can go to and from NY quickly on their own schedule. The hotel will be a huge crowd pleaser - no one is going to complain to you about this hotel. The area around the hotel is safe, so folks only need to take normal urban precautions.

Disadvantages - You are going to have to pay for parking in Jersey City because it is so close to Manhattan. If you pick this hotel we can look around the area for a reasonable parking rate on the weekend - the hotel garage charges $32/night but there are definitely much cheaper options in the area which we can research.

The other disadvantage is the way the Path service works to get directly to midtown. You will ALWAYS be able to take Path one stop to the World Trade Center in downtown NY and then the NY subway wherever. On Friday night you will be able to take a Hoboken train from Exchange Place to Newport and change to the uptown 33rd St. train and do the reverse coming back OR take a Newark train to Grove St and change to the uptown 33rd St. train. However, on a Saturday you can only take a Newark train to Grove St to get the 33rd St. train, which goes first to Hoboken and then to 33rd St. Folks in your group are going to need a Path map and a basic understanding of how the weekend service works. They are also going to need a NY subway map - If you are in NYC and are going to pay for a subway ride anyway, it is almost always faster to go to World Trade and take Path to Exchange Place than it is to go to 33rd St. and take Path.

There are other options out there - The Hilton Penn Station Newark is showing at $101 + tax and Candlewood Suites in Jersey City is showing at $120 + tax. Parking would be extra for both of these hotels as well, but the NY transportation is excellent.

Thank you very much for all your great lnfo,just called the people in my group and are meeting today to make our decision and book it.

You've been awsome with all your help thanks again and see you on the ship:D

Paul.

Good luck! As I said this is a deal that won't last. Normally, I don't get so enthusiastic about the choices that are out there - I just look for the best prices for hotels where cruisers have had good experiences and fit the travel objectives. Everyone's situation is different - budget, number of people, number of beds, car/no car, sightseeing, etc etc. You're a group of 12 people, so satisfying everyone is even more complicated. However, this is an unbelievably fabulous deal for what your group wants to do. There is absolutely no comparison between the 2* Holland Motel right on the entry way to the Holland Tunnel (all night traffic) in a very "fringe" neighborhood (walk several blocks to Path ???) and the 4* Hyatt Regency at Exchange Place.

Let us know how it works out for you - I'm sure we can find some more reasonable parking - I'm guessing in the $16-19/day range.

Paul,

Wow............you should thank 138East for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking for a decent & safe place check out EOS roll call for the 2/6 cruise. Several have found great lodging near Newark Airport and the Bayonne Pier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul,

Wow............you should thank 138East for the advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking for a decent & safe place check out EOS roll call for the 2/6 cruise. Several have found great lodging near Newark Airport and the Bayonne Pier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tika,yes 138east has been very helpfull and saved my (behind).

Am looking at the Best western near the Newark airport they have 2 queen bed rooms for 79,99 including breakfast and have onsite shutle so if the group agrees it might be the way to go for us.

Thanks to everyone for all this great info,this site is awsome.

Paul.:)

Best Western may be $80/night ($91 incl tax), but you won't get 12 days parking and cruise transportation for that price. Seriously, the trinityreservations I mentioned before is a much better deal. Yes, you have to call and arrange your own transportation (about $10/pp each way), but it is a much better deal. If you do choose Best Western, please call them directly in NJ and confirm exactly what your costs would be and what you would get. They do offer a shuttle to Newark Penn Station but ask if that is available all the time (probably not - look on Trip Advisor for comments). If the shuttle is not available, you could be paying $15/pp each way to go to NYC or paying for a cab from Newark Station back to Best Western.

Quite frankly, the first decision your group MUST make is whether you are doing a park/sleep, arranging port transportation, and figuring out how to get in and out of NYC or if you are going to stay near NYC and park at the port. That is a major decision. You also haven't told us anything about the makeup of your group - all couples, families, older people, etc. That makes it hard to give you customized advice. Doing New York is a combination of time, money, and stress - the cheapest options are often the most costly in terms of time and stress.

Best Western may be $80/night ($91 incl tax), but you won't get 12 days parking and cruise transportation for that price. Seriously, the trinityreservations I mentioned before is a much better deal. Yes, you have to call and arrange your own transportation (about $10/pp each way), but it is a much better deal. If you do choose Best Western, please call them directly in NJ and confirm exactly what your costs would be and what you would get. They do offer a shuttle to Newark Penn Station but ask if that is available all the time (probably not - look on Trip Advisor for comments). If the shuttle is not available, you could be paying $15/pp each way to go to NYC or paying for a cab from Newark Station back to Best Western.

Quite frankly, the first decision your group MUST make is whether you are doing a park/sleep, arranging port transportation, and figuring out how to get in and out of NYC or if you are going to stay near NYC and park at the port. That is a major decision. You also haven't told us anything about the makeup of your group - all couples, families, older people, etc. That makes it hard to give you customized advice. Doing New York is a combination of time, money, and stress - the cheapest options are often the most costly in terms of time and stress.

We're 3 couples and have 16-20 year old kids.

We know we don't want to do the park/sleep pkg,we want to drive to the port on our own.

Best western has shutlle service to penn station and runs 24hrs with a $12fee for after 11pm.

The rest of the sightseeing we'll be using our own cars.

I will be calling them today to get exact pricing and services and let you know.

Paul.

Please read the reviews on Trip Advisor for the Best Western. I don't think you are going to be happy with the shuttle service to Newark Penn Station. Newark is a highly urban area and you really don't want to hang out there waiting for a hotel shuttle. It will take you at least an hour or more to get to midtown Manhattan if you take the shuttle to Penn Station and Path to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St. train - this will cost $1.75/pp. If you take the train to NY Penn Station it is $5/pp, which would eat up the savings of staying in Newark.

I still think the Hyatt is a better choice for your group - the hotel has amenities such as a pool and hot tub that will keep the teenagers happy. Yes - they have double beds instead of queen beds. Yes - you have to find less expensive parking. However, something else I remembered is that when I was in Jersey City 2 years ago is that the street parking on the weekend is free - during the week it is permit only parking. I parked on the street near a friend's apartment and had no problem. I also lived in the area many years ago on Montgomery St. between the Grove St. and Exchange Place Path stations, so I have actual experience with the area.

Folks on other threads have made comments. Please look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27361081&posted=1#post27361081

Someone else made a random comment about the Best Western. This was on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1330642

Cape Liberty is only one exit from Newark Int'l Airport, lots and lots of hotels around the airport on Route 1&9 on the west side of the airport and even more now on the east side near the Ikea and the outlet mall. Anything in that area is close and convenient. If you are flying in, there is a Marriott right on airport property. One I would avoid is the Best Western, it is alone, behind an abandon office building, right next to the railroad tracks that NJ Transit and Amtrak use 24/7.

This is an interesting comment because one thing we do urge folks to do is be very selective about their choice of hotels at Newark Airport - it's a highly urban industrial environment.

Please read the reviews on Trip Advisor for the Best Western. I don't think you are going to be happy with the shuttle service to Newark Penn Station. Newark is a highly urban area and you really don't want to hang out there waiting for a hotel shuttle. It will take you at least an hour or more to get to midtown Manhattan if you take the shuttle to Penn Station and Path to Journal Square and transfer to the 33rd St. train - this will cost $1.75/pp. If you take the train to NY Penn Station it is $5/pp, which would eat up the savings of staying in Newark.

I still think the Hyatt is a better choice for your group - the hotel has amenities such as a pool and hot tub that will keep the teenagers happy. Yes - they have double beds instead of queen beds. Yes - you have to find less expensive parking. However, something else I remembered is that when I was in Jersey City 2 years ago is that the street parking on the weekend is free - during the week it is permit only parking. I parked on the street near a friend's apartment and had no problem. I also lived in the area many years ago on Montgomery St. between the Grove St. and Exchange Place Path stations, so I have actual experience with the area.

So after many searches and countless discusions the group finally booked,were staying at the Wynham Garden in Newark.

We got 3 rooms park/fly with 14 days parking for $99 each.I'll report back when we get home how we made out.

Thank you very much to all who helped us.

Paul.:D

My husband and I are seriously considering going to Portofino one evening as a date night, while the kids are in the camp. The plan is to take them to Cafe Promenade for a bite at around 5:30, then I believe the camp activities begin at 7pm, so a 7:30pm reservation for Portofino would be ideal. If dinner takes so long that we can't pick them up at 10pm, I am sure I can ask my parents to pick them up and wait for us to finish.

Problem is...we usually eat in the dining room every evening on a cruise, and I don't want to miss out on a terrific dinner menu. So I have no clue which day to book Portofino. I know it is way too early to book now for our July cruise, but I am wondering what strategies some of you have used so you know which night you want to go. I know I don't want to go either of the formal nights, because we want to enjoy those together as a family in the dining room.

How do you decide which evening is best for you to go to Portofino? Is it necessary to book before embarkation day, or could we risk it and wait until we board? I am nervous because 7:30pm is a very popular dining time, especially for the specialty restaurant.

We were on the EOS in March/April of last year and we booked Portofino for 1 night in advance (our Anniversary) and we also booked another night onboard. The MDR menu is out during the day, we stopped by to have a look one day and nothing really jumped up at us, so we called and got into Portofino's that night, but you need to be a little more flexible with the times. A strict 7:30 will likely not get you in. It is certainly worth going, we will be there again in Feb/March, atleast 1 night, maybe 2. ;)

Paul - I'm so glad your group is all set - Wyndham Gardens will be just fine for you - I think you will be very happy with the decision. How are you getting to the port? How are you getting into NYC?

As of now the plan is to drive to the port early drop off the bags and family and the 3 drivers take the vehicles back to the hotel and share a cab to port.

As for NYC were not really sure yet,gona research diff options or maybe just drive downtown don't think it would be too busy on a saturday morning.

Paul.

omg, that made me laugh.

As of now the plan is to drive to the port early drop off the bags and family and the 3 drivers take the vehicles back to the hotel and share a cab to port.

I feel that the idea of driving into Liberty to drop people off, then drive back out of the port, and then take a cab back in is an idea worth rethinking.

Just getting into the port in the first place in an exercise in frustration tolerance - and getting out isn't much better since you'll be stuck in traffic going in both directions.

Personally, I'd hire a van to take the entire group from the hotel to the port in one shot.

omg, that made me laugh.

You may like this one which was posted on another forum -

"Thank goodness, you convinced them NOT to stay at the Holland Motor Lodge-they may have had a very "exciting" evening. The hookers go from all the trucks at the Cold Storage over to the motel every single day."

As for NYC were not really sure yet,gona research diff options or maybe just drive downtown don't think it would be too busy on a saturday morning.

Paul.

Paul,

If you do this plan be sure you go early - be at Cape Liberty between 10 and 10:30 for the drop off. Be sure each person has his or her passport and a copy of the set sail pass. They can go through security, check-in, get a number for the bus, and hang out in the lounge - they serve coffee, tea, juice and cookies. You should pay $50-55 for a cab back to the port. You might want to verify with RCL how to split your group up for check in - it's too cold for your group to sit outside and wait for you to get back.

As far as driving into NYC, don't underestimate how much that could cost you. Gas, turnpike tolls, $8 Tunnel toll, plus $30-$40 to park each car before you even attempt to go anywhere in the city. I would explore driving to one of the Path stations - Newark, Harrison, Journal Square, Grove St. or Hoboken (didn't you mention going to the bakery there?) and paying to park - probably in the $8-$12 range on a weekend. Just be sure the parking will be open late on Sat. Path is $1.75/pp each way to NY and you can go either to the World Trade Center or anywhere along 6th Ave. from 8th to 33rd St.

Archived