Soller Train and taxi's

Hi

Can anyone advise please my OH has walking difficulties and as much as possible we try to avoid using the wheelchair. Our questions are therefore, how far are the taxi's from the ship in Palma? Then from the train in Soller to the tram is it a long walk or hilly?

Many thanks in advance for your help and tips.

You should be able to get a taxi very near to the ship.

Soller train is an excellent day out. When you get there is is flat, it stops right in the town centre. Plenty of trams, that will take you to the beach, with a warm, shallow sea.

You should be able to get a taxi very near to the ship.

Soller train is an excellent day out. When you get there is is flat, it stops right in the town centre. Plenty of trams, that will take you to the beach, with a warm, shallow sea.

Tram starts just outside the train station at Soller - but is a bit down-hill as I remember hence on the return will be uphill, but it really isn't far at all.

As an alternative you can catch the 'round the houses' bus service back to Palma which you catch from Soller (close to the waterfront and level walk). It goes through Deia and Valldemosa with some lovely cliff views - I think it cost us 2.35E and was just like a coach excursion! If you think you might do that get back and I'll find the links for the particular bus service for you. It's a great day out though!

Hi Jodanuke and Kruseeka Thank you both very much for your help, Kruseeka the bus back sounds very good is it possible for you to let me know the links to the bus service. Thanks again both, am trying to get our day in Palma organised.

Hi Jodanuke and Kruseeka Thank you both very much for your help, Kruseeka the bus back sounds very good is it possible for you to let me know the links to the bus service. Thanks again both, am trying to get our day in Palma organised.

Hello again, wiltonjam

Here is the link for the bus service I mentioned - service 210:

http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/archivopub.do?ctrl=MCRST330ZI74391&id=74391

It's in Spanish but when I tried the 'translate this page' page option, the timetable came out a bit jumbled so I couldn't read the times/places properly. You will follow this ok though.

I think we caught the 13.30 bus back (it was on a corner adjacent to a church about 30/40m back from the sea front and starts from there). There were only about 5 of us on it so we got front seats! It became quite busy with locals getting on and off but was very interesting. It takes you the long route back - take care not to get on the express bus (211) which only takes about 40 minutes but goes through the tunnel back to Palma - so no views!!!

Here's the English version so you can double check the days - it's just the format of the table which doesn't work.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ca&u=http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/archivopub.do%3Fctrl%3DMCRST330ZI74391%26id%3D74391&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://tib.caib.es%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DjSx%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&usg=ALkJrhhpq87rjrGyyQL34vdKmL95t5XwDA

It takes you to the main square where the railway station and Soller train station are located (not the same place - close by but the Soller train has it's own station). If you want to get the bus back to the port from here it's the Linea 1 bus which goes direct to the end of the berth (if you dock in the same place we did!).

Have a great cruise and enjoy your expedition to Soller - it rates as one of the best days out we've ever had on a cruise (and definitely the best DiY one we've done!) :D:D

Hello Kruseeka,

Thanks for this the timetable is perfect we are going on the Destiny so the day we will do the trip is a Saturday we will take the bus back from Soller, am sure we will be fine doing it on our own rather than on an excursion from the ship, as they are showing it as moderate walking and we don't really want to take the wheelchair on excursions if we can avoid it.

Thanks again for your help and am now counting the days!!!

BW

Pat

This sounds interesting will have to see if I can find it.

Stu who has been posting on here quite a bit (and did the excellent video of Destiny) has three videos on his site which you might find interesting Pam; one is of the Tram, another of the train and a third on the Port de Soller

http://www.mosstravel.tv/

Just type in 'Soller' into the Search box and they will pop up - I've just had a look and they bring back some happy memories!

Enjoy your holiday, Pam. :)

Stu who has been posting on here quite a bit (and did the excellent video of Destiny) has three videos on his site which you might find interesting Pam; one is of the Tram, another of the train and a third on the Port de Soller

http://www.mosstravel.tv/

Just type in 'Soller' into the Search box and they will pop up - I've just had a look and they bring back some happy memories!

Enjoy your holiday, Pam. :)

Thanks for the link will have a look at it and enjoy it I am sure as I did enjoy his film of the destiny it has helped us to get prepared. I am sure I will enjoy my holiday, :D

Ooh I could feel my ears burning :) thanks for the nice comments, I can vouch for the Soller railway as being a highlight of our two week jaunt around the Med. If you are only going there, sit on the left hand side of the carriage (in the direction of travel) for the best views. My film is taken from the right hand side there, but left back (before the battery died!!).

If you can't find my Soller vids give me a shout.

Ooh I could feel my ears burning :) thanks for the nice comments, I can vouch for the Soller railway as being a highlight of our two week jaunt around the Med. If you are only going there, sit on the left hand side of the carriage (in the direction of travel) for the best views. My film is taken from the right hand side there, but left back (before the battery died!!).

If you can't find my Soller vids give me a shout.

Hi mosstraveltv, did find the video's thank you and they are really good also thanks for the tip on where to sit. Just one question though is it a long walk to the tram from the train, and is it very steep? :D

Hi mosstraveltv, did find the video's thank you and they are really good also thanks for the tip on where to sit. Just one question though is it a long walk to the tram from the train, and is it very steep? :D

My DH reckons it was only about 100m max to the tram from the train and only slightly downhill (it was more downhill to the centre of Soller but you don't need to walk down there - the tram will take you through the middle of town anyway). I don't think the train to tram bit would represent a problem in terms of steepness. I only mentioned this in terms of it being uphill on the way back - although if you caught the bus back to Palma you would avoid this section anyway as you wouldn't be doing the tram/train bit on the return journey anyway.

I'd be pleased if Stu would confirm whether he thinks that's a reasonable assessment of the distance too as I wouldn't want to mislead you Pam as you clearly need to be confident that the excursion is manageable for your DH.

I hope it all works out well. :)

Hi Kruseeka, no that's fine we are okay on the flat and going down hill as DH is okay it's the going up bit we have problems with. If we go on organised excursions we take the wheelchair as we hate holding people up. But he really wants to do this one on our own so all advice is gratefully received. Thanks again for all your help.

BW Pat:)

Hello again, I can confirm that when we went on the Soller Tram, we left the platform, and went down approximately 20 wide steps (with railings), then walked downhill around 30 metres to the tram stop. All in all from train to tram, this was no more than 60 metres.

Archived