Bringing soft drinks onboard?

I've boarded many Carnival ships with my own booze and soda. Never had a problem. I usually place it in my carry-on and walk right on the ship. These alcohol and beverage policies that are said to be strictly enforced by the respective cruise lines are really not. I've spoken to many cruise line reps during the booking process and many of them will be quite honest with you and tell you that it is not strictly enforced, even though its against cruise line policy to tell you.

John

These alcohol and beverage policies that are said to be strictly enforced by the respective cruise lines are really not.

To CoffeeMed - To answer your specific question: Carnival allows a 'reasonable amount' of soft drinks to be brought on board. A 12-pack is certainly within those limits.:)

To John - :D Tell that to all those folks who say their liquor was confiscated upon embarkation!:D

Sorry Cotton, I'm referring to my personal boarding experiences. 10 cruises under the belt and never stopped by security ot ship staff with my own booze. Walked on board Carnival Destiny last April with a 12 PK of diet coke, 12 PK of beer, a bottle of Kaluah, and a bottle of Baileys...all in my carry-on. Placed it on the x-ray machine, picked it up and proceeded to my cabin. I've done this every cruise since our first in 1998.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree, I put it in my carryone and walked right on, figured it they take it they will give it back 6 days later. Although I did not try to take on a full bar, lol. Just wanted to have a bottle in the cabin..................................:cool:

I just a few days ago returned from a S. Caribbean trip on RC, and when I boarded at Puerto Rico, I had a backpack FULL of rum from the duty free next door to the ship, and they knew it, but didn't care in the slightest. At several of the ports, I carried on in boxes with open see-through sides anywhere from 1 - 6 bottles of liquor, in plain clear sight, and they didn't even bat an eye! Every single person in my group of 16 did the same, too (liquor is VERY cheap down there - $7 - $10 for bottles that cost $20 - $30+ here, and exotic variations of familiar brands that are not sold in the USA, and we in our group are planning several big parties with our liquid island goodies). I actually had been hoping one time that they would take it and put it in the cargo hold, since I was just buying it to bring home anyway, so that I wouldn't have to lug it back to my room! I would be absolutley SHOCKED if they said a thing about some soda!

P.S.- as far as bringing back liquor from the islands, the USA Customs agents in PR are very nice - no hassles at all, just make sure you declare it on your customs form that is left in your stateroom the night before!

Just for fun I read my RCCL contract of carraige which according to them is the only OFFICIAL RULES. Nowhere does it prohibit bringing on soda pop or alcohol. I know from experience that Norwegian will try to embarrass you by asking if you are to cheap to buy the onboard alcohol(YEA THEY DID!) I just give it back to them verbally and then they give up. I think they do it to cow others into not doing it.

We were on the Elation out of Galveston last month and we had 5 cabins. My sister brought 2 12pks of soft drinks and a 12 pk of water (she had 3 children with her) and we were stopped and told that Carnival only allowed 6 drinks per CABIN. They finally allowed us to bring 2 12 pks and we had to leave one to pick up at the end of the cruise.

So there are restrictions - at least in Galveston.

NOTE: Our friend had put his in his carryon and walked right in. We hadn't tried to hide ours because we thought it was OK.

jkloni - We are leaving on the Elation May 8th. We're hoping to bring some water and drinks in my rolling cooler. Did you find that they were looking into the luggage? I'm also curious to see how strict they're being with wine. The rules state that you can only bring one bottle per cabin. We were hoping to bring more than that...

Thanks!! Kim

Kim,

I'm not sure what they will do with a rolling cooler. I have a feeling that they will stop and look in it. They backpack our friend had that was full of coke and water was no problem. The screeners didn't stop him. It was a older lady sitting at a table right past the screeners that stopped us. I think she would stop a cooler.

She had other confiscated stuff on that table too.

About the alcohol, we cruised last july with carnival and they definetly throughly searched our bags for alcohol. They scan all your luggage and can see through for any bottles that shape resemble alcohol. They made my fiance open his bag because he had a bottle of polo cologne that resembled a flask. What we did do though is bought the biggest bottle of mouthwash and dump it out and put alcohol in it. They didn't notice that!!!!!:) :D

We were on the Elation out of Galveston last month and we had 5 cabins. My sister brought 2 12pks of soft drinks and a 12 pk of water (she had 3 children with her) and we were stopped and told that Carnival only allowed 6 drinks per CABIN. They finally allowed us to bring 2 12 pks and we had to leave one to pick up at the end of the cruise.

So there are restrictions - at least in Galveston.

NOTE: Our friend had put his in his carryon and walked right in. We hadn't tried to hide ours because we thought it was OK.

I would have asked them to show me in writting where it says 6 drinks per cabin. I do know it says a reasonable amount but sailing with 3 kids I think 2 12 packs of soda was VERY reasonable and would have fought that all the way. On every cruise we carried on a 12 pack of pepsi.

About the alcohol, we cruised last july with carnival and they definetly throughly searched our bags for alcohol. They scan all your luggage and can see through for any bottles that shape resemble alcohol. They made my fiance open his bag because he had a bottle of polo cologne that resembled a flask. What we did do though is bought the biggest bottle of mouthwash and dump it out and put alcohol in it. They didn't notice that!!!!!:) :D

We are SO going w/the mouthwash idea!!! That is such a terrific suggestion!!!

I'm getting excited!!! :D

We are SO going w/the mouthwash idea!!! That is such a terrific suggestion!!!

I'm getting excited!!! :D

Hee Hee thanks! I hope it works out for you all. I also put alcohol in a shampoo bottle also. I bought a bottle of the really cheap white rain or something and used that!!!:)

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you all know Carnival's OFFICIAL policy on alcohol. Not that something like this has ever stopped me from bringing bottles of rum and vodka wrapped up in my dive gear (if they break, you can just rinse of the neoprene).:eek:

(d) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated on embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. Guests who are celebrating a special occasion are permitted to bring fine wine or champagne (no other alcohol is permitted) at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only. A $10 corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

• 7 months later...

Well I just returned from a cruise on NCL Dream and I brought 3 12 packs of pepsi. The people on the scanner made me open the suitcase as pepsi cans and beer cans look the same on scanner. They checked to make sure it was not beer and then said words LOUDLY to the effect that if could not afford a cruise I should not go. I gave the ****tyist reply that I could. Yes it involved profanity and I was very loud. Then they let me on.

As I said in a previous post NCL tries to belittle people to stop others from doing the same.

Archived