US Permanent Resident entry into Mexico requirements

kopacetic24

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I"m going on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and have stops in Progreso and Cozumel. I am a legal permanent resident of the USA and have a valid Philippines passport. I will bring with me to the cruise my passport and my US "green card." I read the following on the Mexican consulate's website:

All legal permanent residents of Canada and the United Sates, regardless of their nationality, if in possession of a so-called green card (now they are pink), or its Canadian equivalent, do not have to go through the process of applying to Mexico City for their entry permit nor do they need the stamp on their passports. They can be issued the tourist card on board the aircraft or at the port of entry to be able to travel to Mexico as tourists, in transit, or for short business trips.

THEY MUST CARRY WITH THEM THEIR VALID PASSPORT AND THEIR GREEN OR PINK PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD ISSUED BY THE U.S.A. GOVERNMENT OR THE CANADIAN EQUIVALENT.

The last part (in CAPS) is what I have a question about. I was planning on leaving in the room safe both my passport and green card. What do I need to carry with me off the ship in order to get the tourist card? Do I need to have both my passport and green card? Will they hold it for me until my return on the ship? Or will my S&S card be enough for Mexican authorities to issue me a tourist card to get off and back on the ship?

Sorry I'm just trying to get prepared should I need to carry both my passport and green card off the ship. I'm a little cautious should I have to do that so I want to make sure I have a plan on how to ensure its secured and with me at all times off the ship.

Thank you all and I can't wait for my cruise!

As a less than one day cruise visitor you won't even need the tourist card in Mexico. That requirement does not apply to cruise visitors. You will want a photo ID, such as a driver license (or your pink green card), and your S&S card to get off the ship. You can leave your passport in your safe.

Archived