Sorry to say it--tipping (or not) question

tiderfan

I've looked everywhere for the answer. Can one go to the purser's desk at the beginning of the cruise, and decrease the tipping amount without any questions asked? This is not for me.

My sister will have 5 in her cabin for her very first cruise. She had no idea about tipping on a cruise. She only wants to tip for 2-3 people in the cabin. When should she do this and will it be easy and hassle free?

After all my cruises, I've never dealt with this subject.

Thanks for your input!

Can i ask why she would want to do this? I mean when she goes out to dinner does she only tip for 2-3??? I mean with u being her brother and such a seasoned cruise you should have told her about the tips... Would she want someone to cut her paycheck in half just because they didnt feel like paying her this week?

I've looked everywhere for the answer. Can one go to the purser's desk at the beginning of the cruise, and decrease the tipping amount without any questions asked? This is not for me.

My sister will have 5 in her cabin for her very first cruise. She had no idea about tipping on a cruise. She only wants to tip for 2-3 people in the cabin. When should she do this and will it be easy and hassle free?

Thanks for your input!

Perhaps this means, SHE only wants to pay for 2-3 people and the other 1-2 need to cover the tips on their own???? Hoping that is the situation. I've yet to cruise with Carnival so I can't answer the question.

Thanks for your input!

This is the policy

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

And after you read some of the HARSH comments you are going to get with this question... you will probably never ask it again for anyone and tell them to post the question on CC themselves !!! :o

lol ain't that the truth.:p

OP she can remove them all if she wants. I don't advocate that but that's not what you asked.

I also don't know if there would be any questions asked but don't know why that matters.

Bill

Thanks for your input!

Just a question. Are all the people in the cabin her family ? DH and kids type of thing ?

lol ain't that the truth.:p

OP she can remove them all if she wants. I don't advocate that but that's not what you asked.

I also don't know if there would be any questions asked but don't know why that matters.

Bill

Yes... and I am sure there will be those Tipping Experts who feel it is necessary to tip additional.... guess they feel everyone has bottomless pockets like they do ! :):eek:

OP... give your friends the guidelines provided above....followed by Tipping Is a Personal Issue !

I knew to wear my flameproof clothing. It sounds like it will be pretty easy.

Her argument is (not mine, hers) the attendant cleans the room the same for one or five.

I guess that makes sense. Five people only use one towel. Only sleep in one bed. Only make the mess of one person. Use the same amount of soap and TP.....I could go on and on...

I guess at home cleaning she feels that way too when cleaning. It is as easy to do this for myself as it is for five of us....LOL....

Her argument is (not mine, hers) the attendant cleans the room the same for one or five.

That is one of the most unintelligent arguements I have ever heard. They clean the same for 1 or 5??? Let me ask you a qustion, is making one bed the same as making 4. I feel really sorry for your sister and her cabin attendant. Where do people get this? Wow........some people are so cheap it makes me sick!!!

I have yet to take my first cruise on CCL, but I can at least answer with regards to how other lines handle this. You can go to the guest relations desk and ask for the automatic tips to be removed. I've done it, back in the days when this method was first being introduced... I wasn't crazy about the idea, I liked tipping in person, in cash. They did ask me if there was a problem with the service we had received, or something along those lines. I told them no, not at all, and what my reason for removing the tips was (though I don't think they would have demanded to know). Since we don't know the reason that your sister wants to do this, we can't offer any other suggestions or advice with making assumptions. BUT... the simple answer is Yes, they can be removed.

Whoops... I now see that you've shared the reason. Guess I was typing a lot slower than I realized.

yeah, she can - you can adjust the tips however you feel appropriate...

not to say that one should... it's a clear 'recommendation' and should be considered part of the cost. i'd recommend letting her know that's the norm for future planning purposes, anyhow...

if she does intend to do as much (which i never have), i'd probably err toward doing it at the end, rather than the beginning, because, they might find out :eek:

also of note, which i bet will be repeated, it's sometimes thought that employees which have had tips removed are questioned as to why that may be. she should inform the purser's desk (guest information staff) at the time she requests this, why she has taken this action (i want to tip for 3 instead of 5 (for whatever reason she thinks is justified), or 'financial reasons') so it does not reflect poorly upon service granted (which may be stellar, despite her inclination to tip less - not reflective on the staff member) and / or praise the service received (if warranted) despite the reduction in tips on comment cards or directly (which as noted, reduction of tips is typically considered to reflect upon poor service). tell her to at least be up front... ;)

That's a good point, Mark. And well made.

thank you. i think that if you walk into a situation with a clear understanding of what is 'expected', if you decide to participate 'less than expected', you should at least clarify that it does not reflect upon the services rendered, which are likely to 'meet or exceed' expectations.

if one abstains for their own reasons, (aka 'being cheap') as it may be referred to otherwise, at least make sure you're not only stiffing your staff monetarily, but also in terms of the standing of their own career... that'd be pretty low...

Thanks for your input!

If I read your post correctly the question you are asking is "When should" your sister remove the prepaid autotips and will it be easy?

My opinion is autotips should be removed "only when the service is substandard" which in my experience has been "never". :D

But if she does receive substandard service and chooses to remove the autotips, yes it should be easy and hassle free.

Her argument is (not mine, hers) the attendant cleans the room the same for one or five. And yes, it is all her family.

Is she only adjusting off the room stewards tip? Because I would wager that all 5 will eat...and serving 5 is very different than serving 1.

My sister will have 5 in her cabin for her very first cruise. She had no idea about tipping on a cruise. She only wants to tip for 2-3 people in the cabin. When should she do this and will it be easy and hassle free

If I read your post correctly the question you are asking is "When should" your sister remove the prepaid autotips and will it be easy?

you read it wrong. she's planning to do it regardless.

My opinion is autotips should be removed "only when the service is substandard" which in my experience has been "never". :D

i'm inclined to agree with you. but OP's sister wants to do it regardless.

But if she does receive substandard service and chooses to remove the autotips, yes it should be easy and hassle free.

that's not a consideration in this scenario... though, yes, it would be easy to do.... :)

I read that she "wants" to only pay tips for 2 -3 but her actual question is "when should she" remove tips.

My answer is "she should only remove tips when service is substandard". :D

I am not sure if you are purposely being obtuse, but the "when should she" referred to reducing tips at the begining of the cruise.

It always amazes me how many choose not actually answer the question asked. Thankfully, some have answered the question and one very helpful poster included the CCL guidelines which clearly state tips can be adjusted at any time prior to debarkation.

I did not see any indication in the OP that opinions on tipping were desired.

I am not sure if you are purposely being obtuse, but the "when should she" referred to reducing tips at the begining of the cruise.

It always amazes me how many choose not actually answer the question asked. Thankfully, some have answered the question and one very helpful poster included the CCL guidelines which clearly state tips can be adjusted at any time prior to debarkation.

I did not see any indication in the OP that opinions on tipping were desired.

Well said

I still remember when tipping was a personal act, literally done one on one, you handed the server or steward an envelope with cash on the last night with an exchange of smiles and Thank You's for their service. When cruse lines added Pre-Paid Gratuities as a 'convenience' everyone (for the most part) worried would the service faulter if the staff knew they were getting 'paid' for services not yet rendered? To me, one who knew tipping guidelines, suggestions, and policies, it was still a matter of a personal act. I do not like the Pre-Paid Gratuities idea and have always had them completely removed at the start of the cruise. Not that I am trying to skip out of paying, or am cheap, but I don't feel obligated to TIP for something they haven't done yet. I explain to the Pursers Desk I always tip 'in person' and on the last night, and that I feel that it is reflective of my gratitude, not out of a misguided sense of obligation. If they do a adequate job they are tipped accordingly, if they go above and beyond the call of duty, they get a little extra. I do not tip my waitress out in town here locally as I first step into the restaurant, I don't throw money at their feet simply because they showed up for work. Tipping is a 'reward', not a 'right'. And on my next cruise I plan on removing the tips on the first day, gauge according to service, and tip on the last night ACCORDINGLY yet in full awareness and in consideration of the 'guidelines'. Not just because they were there, but because they did a job to my satisfaction.

It sounds as if she wants to remove tips because she wasn't aware she had to tip.

And then wants to do so before she even sees what kind of service she will get, including cleaning, making up room, turn down service, and even cute towels for each of the kiddies.

The total amount of tips for that kind of room service is less than $16 a day. That's not a lot of money for that amount of service.

Perhaps she should just remove all 5 room service tips, and tell housekeeping she will clean her own room, make her own beds, wash down her own batroom, etc. Then the guy can be reassigned to someone who appreciates his work.

She's not planning on stiffing the dining room help as well, is she? That's included to the daily tip charge as well.

Archived