If you take your laptop, where do you store it to keep it safe?

Esmerelda

The last time I cruised, I didn't own a laptop and my boys were with me. This time it will be just me and my new hubby...and I do own a laptop. I want to keep in close connection with them everyday.

Where do you store one to keep it safe? I know it won't fit into the safe. I don't want to be worried someone will walk off with it. Help...

good day,

Esmerelda

We leave ours out in plain sight on the desk.

My guess:

-A pro will find it anywhere you hide it. And be able to get into your cabin.

-Only a pro will have the connections to fence it at more than five to ten cents on the Dollar

-People with access to your cabin are not experts in determining which laptop will fetch them more than about $100.

-It needs to be done in quantities to make it worth while but very few people would have access to your cabin.

-Especially on a ship it would be too easy to narrow down the suspects.

-People with access to your cabin have too much work to take time and try and hack into your data. Besides, how many can they count on having each cruise? And if they could hack into your laptop, why are they cleaning your cabin? The reason they're in your cabin is because they are hard working, honest people hoping you'll appreciate their work and be generous in return.

It's not that I have some great naive trust in people. I just try and figure the odds.

I recently had to do a job in some remote part of Australia. I had to take two complete Dell Perspirons (one to use on-site and one as a backup/to use in the hotel) each one, with a set of cables, weighing in at around 20 lbs. While I was spending hours and hours in airports, those laptops were touching me at all times: that's when they were vulnerable. Once I was in my hotel room, again, I didn't think twice about leaving it open on the desk.

My advise: worry more about what happens between home and the ship. And I can picture many circumstances where it's safer in plain sight in the cabin than being left home.

Invest in one of those security cables. They resemble bike locks. Check out Best Buy for them. I took mine last month on the Valor and just wrapped the cable around the base of the table. It allows you to leave the laptop out in plain view and secure.

Archived