Auto Progreso Tour Info- see flyer inside

• 3 weeks later...
I am on Triumph in January and wondering due to the long bus ride and possibility of some type of delay. (???) Should I pony up the extra $30 and book through Carnival or book the tour with Autoprogreso at the dock when we arrive?

We actually weighed a couple of years ago the same decision. We ended up paying more and going with Carnival and did not regret our decision. The reason we decided this is for Autoprogresso you had to make your way to town and catch the bus there. In 2010 they did not pick up at port, although they did drop off there afterward. Once in town my understanding is that you sometimes have to wait up to an hour and a half prior to getting underway because they wait for the bus to pretty much fill.

When I did the Uxmal tour with Carnival we walked off the ship first thing, there was more than 1 bus going, and within 15 minutes of walking off the ship our bus was on the way to the ruins. We were the first bus to arrive at the ruins. After we had our guided tour and had even climbed the pyramid ourselves afterward, we ran into a couple from our roll call that had taken the Autoprogresso tour and we talked a minute with them. Their bus left Progresso a full hour and a half after ours. They had just gotten to the site and had left the tour so they could climb the pyramid and see things they would have missed due to time. Our bus left Uxmal after that and we got back to the pier with about 30 min (maybe a little more, I was able to look and not feel rushed) to shop before boarding. The Autoprogresso bus pulled up just in time for people to jump off and on the ship. I saw when it pulled up because I was on my aft balcony at the time and right afterward we got underway.

I think it's a personal choice. I am a big proponent of DIY and private tours. In fact this is the only ship's tour I've taken in years. However, for us it worked out much better and was worth the little money more per person to have that extra time at the ruins. Plus we did not have to deal with the extra time wasted trying to get from dock to town to meet the bus.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Thanks, I was thinking since it was a motorcoach and a long tour, if something happened Carnival would wait for us before sailing VS on our own byebye. So I think I will pay the extra and book through Carnival.

Although Carnival does not have to wait for Autoprogresso, I can't ever recall in the past couple of years where an Autoprogresso bus was so late that the people missed the ship, and I think that would have been discussed. They make their living off these tours and the cruise passengers. All it would take would be a bad review on here and Tripadvisor to put a huge dent in their business.

Autoprogresso gets great reviews but for us we chose purely based on Carnival's tour being more convenient and more time at the ruins.

BTW, we were also on the Triumph and loved it!

We have used AP in the past and will be going back again in Nov. AP is the shuttle service into town for the ship. You can either pre-book or wait until you take the shuttle into town. On the bus trip into town they will have a Rep telling you about tours and allow you to book then. We normally book in advance then pay at a shop at the pier-get wrist band then head into town to await for departure. You will be dropped off at the flea market where AP tours start. Carnivals tours will start from the port. Save the $$ and go with AP and have fun. We have always made it back with time to spare.

There are several different ruins to visit in Progreso, can I get review or opinions on which one I should tour. We will only have time for one....Thanks for responding.

We've been to Chichen Itza and to Uxmal and Tulum. Tulum I would never go back to, just not enough there.

We went to Chichen Itza years ago when you could climb the pyramid. It is a beautiful site but more commercialized. We went to Uxmal in Nov. 2010. It was our favorite. The trip was for my DD's birthday and she picked Uxmal because you can climb the pyramid there. The site is beautiful and does not have venders everywhere. If I had a choice, I would go back to either but Uxmal would be the first choice.

We looked at photos and just googled them when deciding. That may be a way to go. Plus, in 2010 on this site there were extensive reviews comparing both sites. You can probably search and find them.

• 11 months later...

I have left numerous messages for AutoProgreso and have not received any reply. I can't figure out how to call them either.

I hate to wait till we arrive at port to secure our tour but it may wind up coming to this.

I would rather talk to someone and have it all set up prior to arriving.

Where are you - Progreso reps?

• 1 month later...

We used AutoProgeso Tour for their Combo Tour on Progreso on Oct 16, 2013. I really do not have anything to compare it to since I have not used another tour company in this area or from the cruise ship.

We we got off the cruise ship we met Guadeloupe who was in a small shop. I wasn't sure we were at the right spot since they were just standing at this shop. When we got there we paid and Guadeloupe said the amount was in Pesos but when converted back to US Dollars would be correct. She told me the conversion rate.

Next we got on one of their buses and rode into Progreso. They definitely could leave a lot earlier since you have to wait around Progreso in a Souvenir area. Once at the Ruins we never walked down to the main ruin and when we got to the Cote we had like 10 min to get in, dry off, and get back to the bus. The tour in the town was not much of a tour but I did like seeing the buildings. Our group split in half and a large portion went to eat with the tour guide. When he did finally return we only had a few minutes to get back to our bus. The whole trip was very rushed. The Driver seemed to get lost at times. Our tour guide seemed more interested in telling us about the businesses that were the same as US - Hooters, Home Depot, McDonalds, etc. I wanted more history, more culture, more time.

Once back in the states I received my charge statement and what AutoProgreso charged us was not what we were quoted. I contacted them several times with them assuring me someone would get back in touch. Finally I contacted my charge company to let them know of the situation.

Be very careful if you pay with a charge card since you will be charged a fee to convert from Pesos to US Dollars and if the conversation rate is different by the time they submit the charge it can be higher apparently. I would suggest paying with Cash to avoid this problem.