2 day stay in fll best area to stay

2martinis

I stayed at the Hyatt Place North for 2 days prior to my cruise last year without a car and the location was perfect. You are right next door to a Publix and Total Wine, across the street from Dollar Tree, Ross adn a ton of restuarants all within walking distance. Depending on which days you will be there a trolley stops right where the Publix is - it is a hop on/hop off trolley that will take you to the boardwalk on the beach. It is also a beautiful walk - about 45 minutes with lots to see. There is also a bus stop in front of the hotel that will take you to the Galleria Mall - a beautifu mall with lots of stores and restuarants. You will not be disappointed booking this hotel. The area is very safe, lots of tourists.

Deerfield is okay, as long as you're on the beach. There are some really fun, divy places. I like the Whale's Rib.

The 17th Street hotels are perfectly serviceable, but you're not going to get a real taste of Ft. Lauderdale there. Chain hotels, chain restaurants. You don't really get a vacation vibe in this area.

If I were to stay in a hotel for two days, I'd pick the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood. You can get it pretty easily on Hotwire or Priceline. That part of Hollywood is really nice, with a boardwalk and beachy shops and restaurants. The Diplomat has a great pool.

If I were staying in Ft. Lauderdale proper, I'd stay at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Resort or the W, right on the beach. Lots to do, go to the beach, wander up and down the street, shopping, etc.

Another option is to get the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. It's a charming hotel in a charming shopping, cafe and lounge area.

With a car I would stay in Lauderdale By the Sea as my #1 choice. Second would be Deerfield Beach at Howard Johnsons or perhaps the Embassy Suites up off Hillsboro. The ES tends to be a bit pricey, though, and they charge for parking.

Without a car I would stay in the 17th/port area where I could catch the Water Taxi otherwise at the Westin Diplomat.

We will not have a car. Can you easily catch the water taxi from the Hyatt north? Would we be better off with the summerland suites?

The HP North is about a mile from the nearest Water Taxi stop at the Hilton Marina.

If you're talking about the Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South that is in a completely different area. It's a very nice, new place, but the shuttle to the port costs $8 per person while the HP North has a free shuttle to the port.

• 5 weeks later...

We stayed at the summerland Suites in April 2008. I am cruising out of Fort Lauderdale again in May 2011 and hope to stay there again this time possibly for 2 days. We thought it was a great area. Very easy 2 minute walk to the Beach, which is beautiful and a nice long beach to walk. We stopped and had a drink at Shula's and we walked a couple of block to a restaurant called Casablanca and had a fabulous meal. It was an easy walk to a little grocery store where we picked up some wine. There also is a restaurant called the Deck that was great for breakfast. all of these places are right across the street from the beach.

The Hotel itself was very nice - nothing fancy but very clean and spacious. The only downside would be that it was a bit of a trek from where you register to the actual hotel. They own 3 properties and the registration is at one of them and then you have to make your way over to the other. AND, our unit was on the second floor and had to carry our bags up some stairs.

I would recommend the Summerland Suites.

I stayed one night post cruise at Marriott Beachplace Tower. We stayed at an ocean view 2 bedroom suite. Very close to the beach. There are a lot of restaurants and a CVS near the hotel. However, it is difficult to find the entrance.

Some pictures:

Kitchen at Marriott Beachplace Tower

Ocean view from Marriott Beachplace Tower

Two bedroom suite at Marriott Beachplace Tower

Marriott Beachplace Tower

Deerfield is okay, as long as you're on the beach. There are some really fun, divy places. I like the Whale's Rib.

The 17th Street hotels are perfectly serviceable, but you're not going to get a real taste of Ft. Lauderdale there. Chain hotels, chain restaurants. You don't really get a vacation vibe in this area.

If I were to stay in a hotel for two days, I'd pick the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood. You can get it pretty easily on Hotwire or Priceline. That part of Hollywood is really nice, with a boardwalk and beachy shops and restaurants. The Diplomat has a great pool.

If I were staying in Ft. Lauderdale proper, I'd stay at the Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Resort or the W, right on the beach. Lots to do, go to the beach, wander up and down the street, shopping, etc.

Another option is to get the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas. It's a charming hotel in a charming shopping, cafe and lounge area.

Hi RuthlessBunny,

I'm still overwhelmed with booking our 1st cruise ever and know I have to do research on the best hotel pre-cruise, so I can then research best flights. You mentioned getting the Westin Diplomat on Priceline or Hotwire, but I thought those 2 sites work on the principal that you just select your criteria and then give your credit card info, and only after do you find out what hotels you get?

Secondly, I don't know Fort Lauderdale at all, but was wondering if Port Everglades is far from Fort Lauderdale? Not sure where is the best place to stay if I want to see both Fort Lauderdale and Miami in 2-3 days time?

We're not very good with directions, so I think a rental car is out and best to stay central to everything. We're just looking for great shopping and good casual diner type food.

TIA!

Thanks in advance

red dragon, Port Everglades is on the southern border of Fort Lauderdale and nothern border of Dania Beach. IMO I haven't tasted any great diner food in Fort Lauderdale. If you stay at one of the FLL airport area hotels on Stirling Rd east of I-95, there is a diner chain across the street, called Moonlite Diner, and further into the Plaza is Hollywood Ale House, which I like. Most of these hotels have free airport shuttles too.

Hi RuthlessBunny,

I'm still overwhelmed with booking our 1st cruise ever and know I have to do research on the best hotel pre-cruise, so I can then research best flights. You mentioned getting the Westin Diplomat on Priceline or Hotwire, but I thought those 2 sites work on the principal that you just select your criteria and then give your credit card info, and only after do you find out what hotels you get?

Secondly, I don't know Fort Lauderdale at all, but was wondering if Port Everglades is far from Fort Lauderdale? Not sure where is the best place to stay if I want to see both Fort Lauderdale and Miami in 2-3 days time?

We're not very good with directions, so I think a rental car is out and best to stay central to everything. We're just looking for great shopping and good casual diner type food.

TIA!

Thanks in advance

There aren't many 4* properties in Hollywood, so it's pretty easy to match up the amenities with the hotels on Priceline, you'll either get the Diplomat or Crowne Plaza. Actually, I'm too chicken, I booked directly with the hotel I wanted (La Quinta, Miami Lakes) but that's because I wanted to be close to my cousin so we could visit prior to our cruise.

Ft. Lauderdale Aiport and Port Everglades are right next to each other. If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale, you can get a hotel with transportation from the airport and to Port Everglades. The water taxi can take you down to Miaim Beach, if it's running. They have a day excursion. There's the Sun Trolley that will take you around to the different parts of Ft. Lauderdale.

With only 2 days, seeing both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is ambitious at best, especially without a car.

Ft. Lauderdale is a lovely beach community, there are pretty much three areas you'd be interested in:

17th Street/Downtown: Mostly because that's where the cheap hotels are. Most have shuttles and are on the Sun Trolley line. Chain hotels, chain restaurants.

Las Olas Blvd: A wonderful shopping area. Boutiques and cafes. Riverside Hotel is here, a 3* hotel that folks are saying is offering great rates for a wondrful experience.

The Beach: Off of A1A, Hotels, shops and restaurants on one side of the street, the beach on the other. Stay at the W, Westin, Lago Mar, Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort.

Miami is pretty much just Miami Beach. Miami proper is just a place where people live and work.

My "neice" came this weekend and I pumped her for information. She told me that South Beach is just a bunch of tourists. Beautiful people walking around the Deco hotels, shopping at Sephora and eating at Nobu.

The Fontainebleau restoration is very Vegas (her words.) They got rid of the Tropigala, the night club with the floor show, and now it's a trendy club called LIV (pretentious enough?) Apparently this is the new 'in' place and you can see movie stars and atheletes. I'm so disappointed. I loved it when it was just the 1950's Icon. I had a room once with the coolest sink...

There's Lincoln Rd, a pedestrian shopping mall, blocks and blocks of stores, shops and cafes.

Hollywood is half-way between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. It's only worth staying there if you plan on enjoying Hollywood. No free transportation between the airport or Port Everglades. The point would be to enjoy the resorts, not sightseeing.

Personally, give Miami a miss this time. Stay in Ft. Lauderdale and enjoy the relaxing beach vibe.

There aren't many 4* properties in Hollywood, so it's pretty easy to match up the amenities with the hotels on Priceline, you'll either get the Diplomat or Crowne Plaza. Actually, I'm too chicken, I booked directly with the hotel I wanted (La Quinta, Miami Lakes) but that's because I wanted to be close to my cousin so we could visit prior to our cruise.

Ft. Lauderdale Aiport and Port Everglades are right next to each other. If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale, you can get a hotel with transportation from the airport and to Port Everglades. The water taxi can take you down to Miaim Beach, if it's running. They have a day excursion. There's the Sun Trolley that will take you around to the different parts of Ft. Lauderdale.

With only 2 days, seeing both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is ambitious at best, especially without a car.

Ft. Lauderdale is a lovely beach community, there are pretty much three areas you'd be interested in:

17th Street/Downtown: Mostly because that's where the cheap hotels are. Most have shuttles and are on the Sun Trolley line. Chain hotels, chain restaurants.

Las Olas Blvd: A wonderful shopping area. Boutiques and cafes. Riverside Hotel is here, a 3* hotel that folks are saying is offering great rates for a wondrful experience.

The Beach: Off of A1A, Hotels, shops and restaurants on one side of the street, the beach on the other. Stay at the W, Westin, Lago Mar, Sheraton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort.

Miami is pretty much just Miami Beach. Miami proper is just a place where people live and work.

My "neice" came this weekend and I pumped her for information. She told me that South Beach is just a bunch of tourists. Beautiful people walking around the Deco hotels, shopping at Sephora and eating at Nobu.

The Fontainebleau restoration is very Vegas (her words.) They got rid of the Tropigala, the night club with the floor show, and now it's a trendy club called LIV (pretentious enough?) Apparently this is the new 'in' place and you can see movie stars and atheletes. I'm so disappointed. I loved it when it was just the 1950's Icon. I had a room once with the coolest sink...

There's Lincoln Rd, a pedestrian shopping mall, blocks and blocks of stores, shops and cafes.

Hollywood is half-way between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. It's only worth staying there if you plan on enjoying Hollywood. No free transportation between the airport or Port Everglades. The point would be to enjoy the resorts, not sightseeing.

Personally, give Miami a miss this time. Stay in Ft. Lauderdale and enjoy the relaxing beach vibe.

Thanks for your valuable info and tips, it sures narrows down our choices, especially just naming the areas to see for us! We might stay 3 days, but that would just cost us more in hotel fees. I will certainly consider just staying in Fort Lauderdale and perhaps check out Miami next time around.

Thanks again! :)

red dragon, Port Everglades is on the southern border of Fort Lauderdale and nothern border of Dania Beach. IMO I haven't tasted any great diner food in Fort Lauderdale. If you stay at one of the FLL airport area hotels on Stirling Rd east of I-95, there is a diner chain across the street, called Moonlite Diner, and further into the Plaza is Hollywood Ale House, which I like. Most of these hotels have free airport shuttles too.

Thanks Royalcruz!

• 3 months later...

Hi Ruthless Bunny - finally found the post to you regarding hotels. It's been a few months and now I'm ready to book hotels (since I have airfare out of the way, I have my dates to book hotels now)! ~ Feb 24-26/11 ~

I thought I would try the Hampton hotels since I could save some money on breakfast and beverages, along with free shuttles from airport and to the cruiseport, but I have been reading not to rely on those, especially since we are travelling in the busy month of Feb, and there are about 8 ships in port on our sailing date (Feb 26-2011). I read it's less stressful to book a taxi.

Hubby would now like to stay on the beach, and I did read your post above that there are shops and restaurants on one side of the road, with the beach on the other side of the road, so I think the beach area of FLL is what we're interested in. Geesh, this has been changing (I was looking at Plantation area a few days ago, but realize the rates are good, but too far away from anything). We won't have a rental car.

We've never been to FLL, so hubby thought the beach would be a good place to stay. I think downtown would be close to amenities as well.

I read about your hesitations regarding Priceline, but I believe it would be the choice we make to be able to afford a hotel in the beach area, if that's what we choose.

I'm still hesitant as I won't know what I'll end up with but wanted to come back and update you.

Thanks!

Let me just mention that I got the Crowne Plaza, rated 4 star, on Priceline for $75 for January 12-15. Apparenrly it is not as nice as the Diplomat, but it is still right across the road from the beach and has been updated recently--we are very happy for the price during high season. I just selected 4 star and Hollywood area.

Let me just mention that I got the Crowne Plaza, rated 4 star, on Priceline for $75 for January 12-15. Apparenrly it is not as nice as the Diplomat, but it is still right across the road from the beach and has been updated recently--we are very happy for the price during high season. I just selected 4 star and Hollywood area.

Congrats Cathy!! I hope you have a wonderful stay!

I see the Crowne Plaza on the list I copied from Priceline. Do you know the difference between the Diplomat and the Westin Diplomat? I'm looking at Beach and Downtown areas but was curious about the 2 hotels listed below.

Fort Lauderdale (Hollywood)

4* Crowne Plaza

4* Diplomat Resort and Spa

4* Marriott Hollywood Beach

4* Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa (previously Resort)

Archived