Best medication for Sea Sickness. ?

Hi

Think I am getting a bit of a wuss:)

Never had sea sickness before but we are sailing from the UK for the first time thro BoB and I was wondering what everybody thinks is the best medication / prevention.

Got Sea Bands but want to take some tablets with us just in case.

Thanks

Hi

Think I am getting a bit of a wuss:)

Never had sea sickness before but we are sailing from the UK for the first time thro BoB and I was wondering what everybody thinks is the best medication / prevention.

Got Sea Bands but want to take some tablets with us just in case.

Thanks

I just bought Dramamine tables (8 per roll). (non-drowsy). NOT ORIGINAL. Those will "knock you out". My Dr. and Pharmacist recommended it, better Bonnine. Rhey said take 1 about 2 hours before sailing. If needed, 1 in a.m. and 1 late p.m. Supposed to work for 24 hours so I'll wait and see if I really need it at night or at all. Never used to! Doing this as a precaution in case seas are a little rough sailing out of NY.

Leaving Sunday 8/29 for NCL Dawn cruise to Bermuda....Hope Ms. Danielle the Hurricane, will not be near us.

Safe sails!

Stugeron worked like a dream when my children were travel sick be it car, boat, coach or plane! Looking back I am amazed we ever went anywhere!!!! I am taking them with us on our first cruise as a precautionary measure (Stugeron that is, leaving the kids at home!!!)

I always take Kwells. The first day on the Thomson Dream in May was very rough and it was Captain's dinner. I felt awful and we were down for 1st sitting:eek:

I phoned reception to see if we could change and she said yes. I took two tablets and felt fine by 8.30 and really enjoyed the dinner:)

Cheers Everybody,

Down to the old Chemist and get a packet of each that you all suggest, just to be sure:)

Med this September and then BoB next April.

As I say we have never had the problem before but BoB :eek:

Take it easy and thanks again.

I don't know what the active ingredient is but Boots Travel Calm tablets worked a treat for both myself and the wife. We felt rough after brekkie - took a pill and had a lie down - 20 mins later we both said 'I feel better' and that was it. We were fine.

However did you know that marmalade was once an old sea dogs method - hence the name mar(mer) malade.

Yes - stick with the Boots Travel Calm pills !!

Stugeron are great if you take them in time (pack says 2 hours before travel - a bit late if you're already feeling sick)

On our first cruise hubby was given the injection as he was 'poorly', the stuff given to him was Phenergan. On our subsequent cruises I got Phenergan tablets 25mg from the chemist (ask at the counter) and none of us have ever been sea sick since. You can also get Phenergan in liquid form. Works for us.

I wouldn't take anything else now.

Don,t buy anything until you know its going to be R&R,ask then at reception for a tablet,they know best .

Try not to think you will be ill,sit midships ,low down,keep your mind occupied,don,t go back to your cabin if you can help it.A tip from a sea fisherman, eat some toast or an apple and don,t overload your tummy,don,t drink lots of water but you can have a brandy.

Stop worrying and enjoy your cruise.

I,m sure you will be fine .BOB is mostly kind.:D

If you think one or three whiskies might help ,why not ,its your holiday and Freds. drink prices are good,no service charge.

When the ship has "motion on the Ocean" after three whiskies you will be able to walk straight whilst everyone else has a wobble on.:D:D:D:D

The PP is correct, all this talk about sea sickness is even making me feel funny and I never ever suffer - was even ok in the roughest sees I have ever seen in Antarctica a few years ago. The more you think about it the more you are likely to get it.

Of course the finest prevention for SS is not to go!!

David.

hi there we will be on ventura on 4th sept...first time going through bob..

now having some regrets.....someone put a blog on that it was bad last night...

may buy all the remedies and a few brandies..

jean

I had a really bad cruise on a small ship about 10 yrs ago, it rolled all over the place and it put me off completely until recently.

We did a short cruise on Queen Victoria in December and I was armed with all sorts of stuff. We had a couple of packs of ginger snaps, which we ate before sailing, early morning and late evening. These lasted a couple of days and we didn't need anything after that. This year, we went on Aurora to Greenland and Iceland and followed the same routine, with the addition of ginger chews from a health food shop. Again, after a couple of days we stopped taking anything and despite force 9 / 10 storm between Iceland and Greenland, we never even noticed the movement, even though the supplies of paper bags got used quickly by other passengers. My stugeron pills are still unused. For us, ginger seems to work best - but I've been told it's also down to the design of each ship as well.

Hi Everybody,

Am not talking myself into SS but wanted to be prepared:)

The ginger sounds just the job.

I remember on one FO cruise, one of our first I think, I said to my wife as we waited in line for the Capatin it feels like I am swaying I think I am going to pass out and everybody laughed as it was the slight movement of the ship and I had forgotten we were on a cruise:)

Ginger will probably be all you need, we use it at home if anyone has a queasy stomach - besides, ginger biscuits are lovely - but, we always take some kind of back-up, just in case. I cannot reccommend any of the alternatives as we've never had to use them, but they obviously work for some folk as many posts on here show.

Enjoy your cruise

• 6 months later...

Always come home with our package of preventions intact! Have had some pretty rough seas with cyclones this season and years ago. [Around Australia and Pacfic]

Found that fresh air, looking at the horizon and eating little and often the first two days while my balance gets adjusted does the trick. Mind you when I come home for a week my house keeps rocking as does the shopping centres! LOL:p

I just bought Dramamine tables (8 per roll). (non-drowsy). NOT ORIGINAL. Those will "knock you out". My Dr. and Pharmacist recommended it, better Bonnine. Rhey said take 1 about 2 hours before sailing. If needed, 1 in a.m. and 1 late p.m. Supposed to work for 24 hours so I'll wait and see if I really need it at night or at all. Never used to! Doing this as a precaution in case seas are a little rough sailing out of NY.

Leaving Sunday 8/29 for NCL Dawn cruise to Bermuda....Hope Ms. Danielle the Hurricane, will not be near us.

Safe sails!

Archived