Snorkling with people who are not strong swimmers

Bigbob75

I would suggest:

1. make sure you are with a reputable tour group

2. make sure the tour operators are aware that your friends are not strong swimmers so they can keep an eye on them

3. check to be sure you are not going to snorkel in a place where there is a strong current

4. don't take personal responsibility for your friends' actions - they're adults (presumably) and need to be sure THEY feel safe and in control

Wife snorkled for first time on our last cruise. It was out in deep water and she did not enjoy it at all. If you do it from the shore i would think it wouldn't be bad, but jumping off boat out in Ocean could be very intimidating even with the vest.

Wife snorkled for first time on our last cruise. It was out in deep water and she did not enjoy it at all. If you do it from the shore i would think it wouldn't be bad, but jumping off boat out in Ocean could be very intimidating even with the vest.

That would bother me, too. I don't like to swim in deep water.

If they are comfortable in the water and it is not in a strong current they should have no problems at all. Snorkeling doesn't require swimming, it requires floating. I am not a strong swimmer at all but snorkel all the time- including in water that is very very deep. They can use vests or float on top of the vests. However, if they are nervous in the water, or if there is a strong current it does get a bit more difficult.

Archived