children princess

travelman2009

Well I'm not sure what you mean exactly but here goes.

The Princess line seems to have virtually the same kids program throughout the company, regardless of ship. It may vary only slightly depending on the itenarary. We were on the Emerald last November (sister to Ruby) and our daoughter enjoyed the program. This August we were on the Golden and the program was exactly the same except the day that we were in Glacier Bay and she had time with the young ranger program.

She enjoyed it and all the staff regardless which ship were very good to her. In the club program she did lots of colouring and movie watching, she didn't want to partake in the talent contest. She is hoping they change the program a little bit by the time our February cruise rolls around.

Princess has terrific children's programs, but ultimately it is up to the child (and parents) as to whether the kids want to participate. Most kids seem very happy when they make new friends (especially true for teens) and the kids on a particular cruise seem to have a lot do with the success of the program. One caution we have is that folks that pull their kids out of school and cruise during the school year face the prospect that there will be very few other children for playmates.

Hank

We've done many cruises with our kids and they have always enjoyed themselves. If you're looking for lots of kids for them to play or socialize with I would suggest a summer, spring break or Christmas cruise. We did a Christmas cruise last year on the Ruby and I've never seen so many children!!! I would avoid longer cruises outside of school vacations as you won't see many kids! Ruby has a great kids program and it's a large ship which they will enjoy. How old are they?

Other than the really small ships and any sailings that are overly long and not during kids' schools' breaks, you should be able to find full-fledged kids programs onboard the ships. There is a wide-range of activities, including many that are science-based (due to a partnership with the California Science Center) and itinerary-based (for example, on her Alaskan cruise when 7, my girl made a model of a glacier).

When you first get to your cabin when you get onboard, there will be a packet(s) of info for the programs that correspond to your kids' ages. You'll be able to find out when the mandatory registration meeting(s) is that night, and you'll also get a day-by-day listings of activities that your kid could see. It's not required that they show up at all the sessions as many kids will often want to go swimming or do other activities with their families from time to time. The only time you have to give any notice to the program counselors is if you want to take advantage of the post-10pm kidsitting (about $5 or 6/hr, but really more aimed toward the younger set -- my girl at age 8 didn't want to do that anymore), which is usually movies and video games, or use the port-day kidsitting (free). Those require a 24-hr notice.

My daughter loved the childrens program when she was 10,,,and this past spring break she was very excited to be able to go in the Teens program( now 13).

She was very dissappointed in their teen program,,, hardly any teens showed up for any of the activities,, many of which I have to admit were a bit lame anyways( bracelet making?) The teen centre is near the kids club entrance areas,, and we still saw many kids prancing in and out of those programs happily excited.

My thoughts are the kids programs are well run( felt very safe leaving dd there) but the teen programs just don't seem to be as exciting.

These were both spring break cruises on Princess.

Archived