Corking fee question...again

phinn

I don't quite get the corkage fee. I thought if you got a bottle of wine in the MDR and didn't finish it in one meal, they would cork it and hold it for you. My sister thinks it's a charge for opening the bottle. I wanted to bring bottle from home, bring it to MDR, and between 3 of us, I didn't plan on having any left to cork. Will I still be charged a $25 fee?

I don't quite get the corkage fee. I thought if you got a bottle of wine in the MDR and didn't finish it in one meal, they would cork it and hold it for you. My sister thinks it's a charge for opening the bottle. I wanted to bring bottle from home, bring it to MDR, and between 3 of us, I didn't plan on having any left to cork. Will I still be charged a $25 fee?

People sometimes interpret a corkage fee too literally. It is not a fee for removing the cork or recorking a partially consumed bottle. It is a fee for bringing your own wine to a restaurant rather than purchasing beverages from the restaraunt (i.e. the restauraunt allows you the flexibility of bringing your own wine with you, but charges a fee to recoup some money from you).

If you bring wine from home and take it to a restaurant or bar/lounge on the ship, you are charged a $25 per bottle fee. There is no fee for having the restaurant store a partially consumed bottle for you to resume drinking another day. There is also no fee for consuming the bottle of wine in your stateroom.

Perhaps it should be called an "uncorkage" or "decorking" fee. However, the term corkage goes back a long ways. Here is dictionary.com's definition:

cork·age

speaker.gif /ˈkɔrthinsp.pngkɪdʒ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[kawr-kij] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

–noun a fee charged, as in a restaurant, for serving wine or liquor brought in by the patron.

Use corkage in a Sentence

See images of corkage

Search corkage on the Web

Origin:

1830–40; cork + -age

As you probably know, X allows two bottle of wine per stateroom to be brought aboard at embarkation. If you enjoy them in your stateroom, there is no corkage charged. If you bring them to a bar or restaurant, there is a fee of $25 per bottle.

And you the OP is correct that if you order a bottle of wine in the MDR and don't consume it all in one night, they will keep it for you and serve the remaining part the next night. There is no charge for this service.

Just another bit...if you order wine online on the Celebrity gift site, it will delivered to your room or restaurant of your choice with no corkage fee or added gratuity. (It is Celebrity wine) We order a couple for our room but have had it taken to the dining room for us. We tip our sommelier a little cash for serving those bottles at the end of the cruise.

for the clarification. Oddly enough, the two bottles of wine we brought on board in March, we never opened the second bottle. We just had the one in our stateroom. I guess we will just have to decide whether to bring one on board that we will bring into MDR or just order there. The price will be pretty much the same. I was just unclear how the charge was applied since I had not brought wine on board before. Thanks again.

Archived