Help with packing up the kids, please!

bailey1999

We leave in a week for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan and St Thomas). I'm starting to pack up the kids (ages 9 and 7). For those of you seasoned travellers and packers, did your kids wear jeans/long pants, sweatshirts or jackets often travelling this time of year? I'm obviously trying to keep the packing to a minimum and these items take up room. I'll probably pack at least one of each, just in case, but don't think I'd need more than that? Btw, I've already got the dining room outfits arranged. This would be in addition to those. Help?!?

Are we talking about boys or girls or both? What cruise line? I know all about packing up boys. Mine are 15 and 13 and have cruised 5 times since they were 5 and 7. DD is 3 and has ony cruised once. Are you flying in the day of your cruise? Do you plan on snorkeling with the kids? Don't forget plenty of sunscreen!!! Give me more info and I may be able to help.

Are we talking about boys or girls or both? What cruise line? I know all about packing up boys. Mine are 15 and 13 and have cruised 5 times since they were 5 and 7. DD is 3 and has ony cruised once. Are you flying in the day of your cruise? Do you plan on snorkeling with the kids? Don't forget plenty of sunscreen!!! Give me more info and I may be able to help.

My DD is 9 and my DS is 7. We are flying in to Miami the night before. Carnival cruise. Yes, we plan to try snorkeling with the kids. Thanks for any help! :)

My kiddos (DS6 and DD10 when we cruised last fall :)) we had one long pants/long sleeved tshirt outfit, in addition to the outfit they wore on the plane down (then we had washed) and wore on the plane back.

I also took along misc meds that they might need...kids pepto, kids ibuprofen, bandaids and neosporin, sunscreen and solarcaine, cough/cold meds, ginger Altoids incase of seasickness, bug spray. Anything that would cost us a fortune on the ship or blow precious time searching for in port. I also planned on picking up atleast one or two tshirts a piece for each of us and packed accordingly for that as well. The only thing I'm changing for this next cruise is to pack more shorts for my DD...I had planned on her being "in the mood" to wear some cute sundresses I packed and she much prefered just shorts and tshirts around the ship and at camp.

What I'd do is plan on taking advantage of the "all you can shove in the paper thin, medium sized bag" laundry special they offer atleast once mid-week. If you roll stuff tightly, you'd be AMAZED at what you can fit. We had two cabins, so two bags, and from what I rolled into those two bags, I received FIVE bags back when it was washed and folded, LOL. And it's WAY better than blowing that precious vacay time babysitting laundry in the laundry rooms (that is, if you can ever find a time short of midnight that one is free).

Oh, and don't let them overpack their toys and belongings. My kids each get one backpack, and are responsible for hauling it. My DD brought her DS, iPod, a book, some drawing supplies and a notebook. DS brought 1 quart ziploc of his little action figures, his DS, iPod, book, notebook, teddy. They really didn't have time to play with anything much, with the exception of our last sea day it ended up raining and by that time they SO ENJOYED the time to just veg out in the cabin and play.

If you're going on the Freedom of the Seas and are planning to ice skate, from what I understand you need to wear long pants. However, I don't know if that is true or not. I have 2 boys 9 and 11 and I usually pack them bathing suits that look like shorts. That way they can throw on a shirt and do other activities like basketball or miniature golf without having to change. Obviously they drip dry for a few minutes. I've found this works really well for us. Hope it helps!!! :)

We have done 9 cruises with our 3 monkies. I always throw in a light windbreaker or sweater..sometimes my DD gets very cold in the MDR, and some nights, even in August, you can get a chill if it is very windy on deck...which may happen with the weather coming thru.

I also throw in a pop -up mesh hamper for the kid's closet, and an over the door shoe holder..the can put their sandals in this, sunglasses, etc. Keeps the floor neat.

I also bring our own snorkel gear ( you can leave the fins out and rent those separatly) because I don't like they way they are sanitized between users.

When we had one in diapers I would order wipes, diapers, all our hygiene stuff from drugstore.com and have it shipped to our hotel . We would slap a luggage tag on the box and take it to the ship.

Bring extra batteries if they have any battery toys - this is not usually an issue these days. And don't forget the Downey wrinkle releaser..Walmart has small travel size ones.

HAve fun in the sun!

KAt

Thanks for the drugstore.com idea...great! We fly in but my parents live in FL and brought the diapers/wipes for us last time. This will save them from having to haul those things since they will still be bringing other stuff to help now that we have two little ones.

I know the OP doesn't have one in diapers but for those that do, others have said this as well but I think it can't be said enough....make sure you pack enough diapers/wipes, etc. The gift shops (at least on Princess) don't have wipes for sale and you'll pay dearly for diapers. Our first cruise with one in diapers went well, second we had a miscommunication and forgot wipes. Thankfully I had a few travel packs to make it thru 2 sea days and to our second port before we were able to buy some. If you have one that needs 'sensitive' stuff really make sure you have extra since you'll have to take what you can find and in our case it wasn't sensitive!

You have been given a lot of good information here! I will put in my two cents:

• Pack any pediatric medications you may need in your carry-on especially motion sickness meds and anti-diahrreals
  • Pack your own snorkel masks. We bought ours in Target
  • I second the pop-up hamper.
  • Have the kids be responsible for their own carry-on with whatever they want to take. Keep in mind that they will have very little need for these things except for the journey to and from home. Make sure they aren't too heavy for them to carry or roll.
  • Do not take too many dinner outfits for the kids. They will only be wearing them for a couple of hours. They can wear outfits more than once.
  • Don't take too many shoes.
  • We always have the clothes for our jouney washed, then wear them home on the return trip.
  • Take all of the sunscreen that you think you need then add 2 bottles. The sun is BRUTAL! I also take rash gaurd shirts.

Good Luck and happy cruising. Your kids are going to freak out when they see the ship!

You have been given a lot of good information here! I will put in my two cents:

• Pack any pediatric medications you may need in your carry-on especially motion sickness meds and anti-diahrreals
  • Pack your own snorkel masks. We bought ours in Target
  • I second the pop-up hamper.
  • Have the kids be responsible for their own carry-on with whatever they want to take. Keep in mind that they will have very little need for these things except for the journey to and from home. Make sure they aren't too heavy for them to carry or roll.
  • Do not take too many dinner outfits for the kids. They will only be wearing them for a couple of hours. They can wear outfits more than once.
  • Don't take too many shoes.
  • We always have the clothes for our jouney washed, then wear them home on the return trip.
  • Take all of the sunscreen that you think you need then add 2 bottles. The sun is BRUTAL! I also take rash gaurd shirts.

Good Luck and happy cruising. Your kids are going to freak out when they see the ship!

Remember if you pack liquid medications in a carryon it can only be 3 ounces. You can also put dirty clothes in an empty suitcase under the bed.

Remember if you pack liquid medications in a carryon it can only be 3 ounces. You can also put dirty clothes in an empty suitcase under the bed.

If it is a prescription medication, there is no restriction on the number of ounces. My DD was on medication for over a year and we flew with over 3 ounces many times with no problems.

We leave in a week for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean (Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan and St Thomas). I'm starting to pack up the kids (ages 9 and 7). For those of you seasoned travellers and packers, did your kids wear jeans/long pants, sweatshirts or jackets often travelling this time of year? I'm obviously trying to keep the packing to a minimum and these items take up room. I'll probably pack at least one of each, just in case, but don't think I'd need more than that? Btw, I've already got the dining room outfits arranged. This would be in addition to those. Help?!?

We have never needed pants and jackets while traveling in the carribbean during August. It will be HOT! The only place we have ever need it is the Main Dining Room. It gets CHILLY in there, so my daughter and I always bring a sweater. Enjoy your trip!

I always bring a sweater for the dining room. I usually bring a pair of jeans for late night shows. I do get chilly after being in the sun all day. When traveling w/my grand-daughter (3 yo) I will definitely throw in a couple of sweaters and one of her blankets. She always get cold when she gets tired :o

Liquid medication is exempt from that rule. You just have to declare it to the security officer before going through security. I travel with liquid meds all the time for DD. It doesn't matter if it is a prescription or OTC. I've taken an entire bottle of cough syrup in my carry-on and DD's migraine meds. I usually toss it in a gallon sized zip lock bag when I travel.

Archived