New cruiser question

sissyb

Just off the Oasis. That was our first cruise. Have the bug now and I like the Nov 2011 itinerary for the Emerald. Don't know anything about Princess. Is the Emerald a liked or not liked ship, not sure how old it is etc... I didn't want to start research if it's not a very good ship to cruise on. We stayed in a junior suite on the Oasis and really loved it.

Thanks for any information that will help me decide what to do.

Like the 10 night over the 7 night and like the itinerary better than RCCL.

The Emerald is a relatively new ship with about half the number of passengers as the Oasis. Instead of the huge open area in the middle of the ship, the Emerald has more lounges and places for passengers to go. Fewer outdoor, physical activities but probably more entertainment options. No climbing wall, no flowrider, no ice skating.

I've been on RCCL four times and in my experience, the food and service is much better on Princess. The dining room is not "grand" with multiple levels but rather there are three dining room (two Anytime and one Traditional) that are understated and separated into smaller dining areas so there's a more intimate feel. No singing waiters. The waiters on Princess are waiters, not entertainers. :)

Give Princess a try. I think you'll like it. If you had a Junior Suite on Oasis and want a similar cabin type on the Emerald, you should look at mini-suites. Be aware that the minis on Dolphin deck are uncovered and open to the sun, those on Emerald deck are all covered and more private.

Thanks. I was also looking at the deck plans. Can't decide if we want to splurge for a suite in the back (VS) or an AA mini suite. Are some of the rooms on deck 9 obstructed by the life boats? It looks like life boats are drawn on the deck plan but I can't tell for sure. Looking at rooms D501 to D529.

Sounds like we want to give this a try!!

The Emerald is a gorgeous ship, only 3 years old. We just came back from sailing on her and had a fantastic time. She's not GINORMOUS like the Oasis, but she's a good size, and you'll find plenty to keep you busy. Check out my photos below.:)

I didn't like the size of the Oasis. I never could figure out which way to go and they even have all the boards with the directions. Didn't seem crowded just didn't like the general size and the confusion of getting from here to there.

I really appreciate the great info.

sunluva 7

Were you in D752? That is one of the rooms I was wondering about. Does it have the large wrap around balcony? I again didn't understand the deck plans. Room is colored in green but I didn't know what the tan open area was.

Emerald and her sisters have a very nice feature - MUTS - movies under the sun/stars.

Princess has much longer buffet hours and better selection. Many seafood choices.

We haven't sailed on Oasis, but in comparison to Explorer and Splendor, Princess has better entertainment.

one tip for cruising on the Emerald, the carpeted corridors to the cabins are blue but one of the corridors has red stripes along each side so when you come out of the lifts you just need to pick which carpet goes to your cabin, the all blue or the one with red stripes

Are some of the rooms on deck 9 obstructed by the life boats? It looks like life boats are drawn on the deck plan but I can't tell for sure. Looking at rooms D501 to D529.

The lifeboats are underneath the D/Dolphin deck balconys. You won't see them and from those balconies you can look straight down to the water. Nothing sticking out below you.

Were you in D752? That is one of the rooms I was wondering about. Does it have the large wrap around balcony? I again didn't understand the deck plans. Room is colored in green but I didn't know what the tan open area was.

I didn't see a D752 on the deck plans. If you mean D732, the balcony extends along the side of the ship and it is really large. I'm sure someone can post a picture. But it doesn't wrap around to the back of the ship like some Carnival ship balconies "aft wrap".

Thanks. I was also looking at the deck plans. Can't decide if we want to splurge for a suite in the back (VS) or an AA mini suite. Are some of the rooms on deck 9 obstructed by the life boats? It looks like life boats are drawn on the deck plan but I can't tell for sure. Looking at rooms D501 to D529.

Sounds like we want to give this a try!!

See if this helps, typical deck lay out.

Emerald deck 8 balconly are covered (next to life boat).

Dolphin deck 9 balconly are uncovered (above the life boat).

Caribe deck 10 balconly are larger and part covered and part uncovered.

2502074350102519826S600x600Q85.jpg

This is looking down from a balcony on Baja Deck into a Penthouse balcony on Carib Deck and then mini-suite balconies on Dolphin Deck. It gives you a good idea of the relative size and exposure.

2172064670102519826S600x600Q85.jpg

We're about to sail the Emerald for the first time, but we've cruised multiple times on her sisters. Having been on RCCL only once (and not very partial to it), personally speaking I prefer Princess.

The food is better on Princess, and the dining hours are more flexible and open longer. You won't have as much active entertainment (aka rock walls etc) but there is a more intimate feeling as Pam described.

Since you had a JS last time, definitely go for the mini suite or above, you'll have to decide if you want covered or uncovered balcony.

The 10 day itineraries are so nice I wish we could do more of those and less of the 7 day versions.

Those pictures are a big help. Now I understand. I meant room C752, I typed D752. Can't decide between C750 or C752. Not sure how great it is to have a room that only has a balcony off the back of the ship with no side view. We were on the starboard side on the Oasis and were spoiled at each port. We always faced the port and could see everything instead of the ocean when we were docked.

Those pictures are a big help. Now I understand. I meant room C752, I typed D752. Can't decide between C750 or C752. Not sure how great it is to have a room that only has a balcony off the back of the ship with no side view. We were on the starboard side on the Oasis and were spoiled at each port. We always faced the port and could see everything instead of the ocean when we were docked.

C752 & 753 are much prized BB category balcony cabins. While the balcony does face aft, there is a little space on the side of the balcony where the glass 'wraps' to the side before the solid wall of the ship. So you have about (guessing from when my sister had one) 2' of rail/glass to see the side view.

C750 is of course a suite with no side view. If they are open D736 and D737 are the same category suit but on the corner so you should have some side view.

Those aft balcony are well liked. I need a balcony with the side view, I like to see where I am headed as well as where I have been.

Archived