Tampa amtrak station

Eva65

I will have to waste about 4 hours here, is there anything close by (walking distance) as far as food, or anything to use our time up. I really don't want to sit 4 hours in the train station.

The closest to the train station is Channelside which includes the port. It is walkable but be advised it is not located in the best of neighborhoods. A $5.00 cab ride gets you to Channelside.

There really is nothing to do in that area..

You could always do what we did - there's a place right next to the port where you can check your bags fairly cheaply, the aquarium is literally right next door, and Channelside is about a block away. Hang out in that area until closer to your departure time, then catch the $5 cab to the Amtrak station :D

If you chose to hang out at the Amtrak station, there are very few plugs for your electronics, but it's air conditioned!

I will have to waste about 4 hours here, is there anything close by (walking distance) as far as food, or anything to use our time up. I really don't want to sit 4 hours in the train station.

I assume this is post-cruise? If so, check your bags at DestinationTampa (they have spots in, or beside, both the the 2 cruise terminals in Tampa); the cost is nominal, a couple of dollars per bag or something like that. Then, either:

*hop the trolley over to Ybor City & look around

*spend some time in the shops/restaurants/bowling, etc at Channelside Entertainment Complex

*go to the aquarium

*arrange either a Segway or bike tour of the downtown area

*depending on the day & the time, there is also a boating excursion that leaves from the aquarium that provides some scenic views of Tampa & the bay, and usually quite a few dolphins will come swim alongside the boat for a good bit of the time (you can find details of this on the aquarium's website)

Archived