Portofino and Chops with a toddler

Grota2

And if you had accidently kicked the kids or stepped on their fingers while they were under your table, you'd be chewed out by the parents :rolleyes:

You're a stronger person than me....I'd have said something to the parents.

While leaving we would have demanded our money back :eek:

###

thanks everyone, for your replies. We'll heed your advice. Although baby is very good in restaurants, (he eats everything, we're even going to try escargot), I hadn't considered the length of the meal. Wifey hasn't yet OK'd a sitter, but grandma has offered to watch him. I was just hoping to get all 7 of us together.

We are planning on trying the MDR. If it doesn't work and he creates a scene, we'll either eat in shifts or do the buffet. We are the type of people who are aware of the surroundings and will not let him become unruly.

thanks again.

Grota2, you are very kind. Thanks for understanding and not taking the suggestions the wrong way. Have a great cruise. :)

Wow this is one of the great things about this board. I have to agree with the posters suggesting to refrain from taking a little one to the specialty restaurants. I am a young grandmother of 7 kids ranging from 17 months to 17 yrs old. I would consider taking the 12 and 17 yr olds but not the younger ones. Even 12 and 17 might be pushing the limit. Like previously said the meal is 2 plus hours. The food and service are excellent. Even though RCCL says no younger kids after 6 pm seating, remember your will be there until 8-8:30. It was mentioned the possibility of removing the young child for a walk if there is an issue. However, this will interrupt the routine of the wait staff and chefs because they will be attempting to accomodate your meal. All this because RCCL is trying to make the meal a special time for everyone in attendance.

In January, we experienced just what you are hoping to avoid. Our reservation was 7 pm. We were seated by a large family. There were generations at this table. The youngest child appeared to be near 2. This child proceeded to cry and yell. In frustration the parent would let the child down to move around the table. The child was walking/running doing laps around the table. After 10 minutes of this we asked to be moved. The noise continued for the next hour until they left. The family was oblivous to the disruption of the other diners special evening and lingered some time over coffee. It was very obvious RCCL staff was in a precarious position.

I applaud you for asking ahead of time and being considerate of others. That is a rarity these days. I wish you and your family a wonderful cruising experience.

in a precarious postition...exactly why were they?

Why wasn't this ignorant, selfish bunch asked to plse hurry & finish their meal unless they restrained or removed their child because they were disrupting other diners..?

'Bajathree' mentioned a bunch of them with little ones showing up over an HOUR late for dinner! :O

TOUGH - they shld have either told them the reservation is cancelled after 15 - 30 mins has passed AND if they do not call to cancel or change they still pay for the dinner or at least a non cancellation fee :) (that wld get folks attention) OR rebook for another time OR that they must agree to leave at the approx. time dinner wld have been finished IF they had arrived on time, of course :)

I mean, they were an HOUR LATE?? Sure cldn't blame it on a traffic accident or flat tire :)

The situation, IMO anyway though, was simple - ask them to restrain those children or leave - what is precarious about that?

They wld have been annoyed but SO WHAT?

Gee, they might not cruise again - again SO WHAT - who wants them anyway OR is that the type of pax that RCCL is encouraging to cruise with them because if I judge this is so, I for one anyway because I eat in the spec. restaurants each cruise, am cruising with other lines!

Then again, they might not have been aware they were disrupting others unless someone tells them - some folks are pretty ' thick'!

If nothing else they wld have learned they can't behave that way on an RCCL cruise ship - instead, they learned they can get away with that type of behaviour and if they do cruise again, others including staff members will be similarily upset & disrupted again & possibly again & again..:/

What exactly would RCCL lose by asking them to restrain or leave - a noisy, inconsiderate bunch who are in the minority disrupting the majority? :(

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why RCCL doesn't enforce their own rules plus the unwritten one that says 'thou shalt not disrupt others' :) and instead, by doing so, cater to & reward the majority of pax that do obey the rules & don't disrupt others...!! Aren't we important and shld be shown consideration - how does the waiters apologizing rather than dealing with the problem help the situation??? I feel for the staff that were upset and sorry but that doesn't change anything!!..:/

JMO but if the cruiselines & even we don't start taking these folks to task, it will only get worse rather than improve..

Do not accept bad manners - if someone asks u to get something go deaf until u hear a 'please', when handing someone something do not release it until u hear 'thankyou' and always say 'you are welcome' when someone goes thru a door and says nothing (thereby treating u as an unpaid doormen)...I'm sure the clever folks here on CC can come up with other examples..

Sad we have to do it but it works wonders!! :)

As 'RealtorDebbie' stated - 'Grota2' - u are showing true consideration for your fellow pax and I also hope u have a great cruise - Wish I had the privilege to cruise with u!

Have happy cruisin' all!

Archived