Why pay when you can eat for free?

Loralie

That's a good question. We've dined in the specialty restaurants exactly twice (that's across ten years), and while I fully admit that the food is excellent and is better than the food in the MDR, it isn't something that enhances our cruise experience so much that we'd be willing to pay for it over and over again -- or even on every cruise.

Why? Because it's expensive! Portafinos is $50/couple PLUS a tip . . . and then you've not eaten the MDR dinner for which you've already paid.

In our minds, the MDR dinner is very good, and the $70 that we don't spend at the specialty restaurants is TWO MEALS out back at home. One "upgraded meal" onboard = the difference between "wonderful" and "fantastic", whereas two dinners out in our hometown = relaxing time with my husband, a treat for us -- they upgrade a regular week for us! Remember, if you skip the specialty restaurant, you're still having a lovely dinner in a beautiful dining room; you're not getting all that much more for your $70. I'll take two BIG upgrades at home rather than one SMALL upgrade onboard.

I don't know why I bother because it is so obvious that only a handful of people are reading replies ...

After this post, I give up!

I just want to clear up a few things:

1. The cost for Chops/Portifinos includes the tips - You are not required to pay extra

- I am sorry that mbcormier thought she had to tip on top of that, but it isn't so.

2. Yes, the price that you paid for your cruise includes meals ... but if you are worried that you won't get your money's worth because you opt to pay for a meal one night ... you can order 2 meals in the dining room the next night (or EVERY NIGHT) or spend 1 whole day just eating! Trust me, you will have plenty of opportunity to "make your money back" on food

3. Are you going to spend money on soda or alcohol or are you just going to drink water (tea etc)?

2 alcoholic beverages plus 15% and that is the same as the 4 course meal ... so what is the big deal? (Why will people justify paying for booze, but everything else is a waste of money??!!)

4. It is a choice!

I don't know why I bother because it is so obvious that only a handful of people are reading replies ...

After this post' date=' I give up!

1. [b']The cost for Chops/Portifinos includes the tips - You are not required to pay extra

[/b] - I am sorry that mbcormier thought she had to tip on top of that, but it isn't so.

2. Yes, the price that you paid for your cruise includes meals ... but if you are worried that you won't get your money's worth because you opt to pay for a meal one night ... you can order 2 meals in the dining room the next night (or EVERY NIGHT) or spend 1 whole day just eating! Trust me, you will have plenty of opportunity to "make your money back" on food

3. Are you going to spend money on soda or alcohol or are you just going to drink water (tea etc)?

2 alcoholic beverages plus 15% and that is the same as the 4 course meal ... so what is the big deal? (Why will people justify paying for booze, but everything else is a waste of money??!!)

4. It is a choice!

Lets hope some got thru - esp #4... :)

Have happy cruisin'!

After this post, I give up!

1. The cost for Chops/Portifinos includes the tips - You are not required to pay extra

- I am sorry that mbcormier thought she had to tip on top of that, but it isn't so. We've all read multiple threads about the tip issue for years, and it's a gray area at best: some very official sources say that the wait staff gets the whole amount, others say that they receive only a small portion. Given the ambiguous nature of the C/P fee, I'd rather err on the side of generosity.

I always lean that direction with people who are handling my food. You may choose to live your life differently.

2. Yes, the price that you paid for your cruise includes meals ... but if you are worried that you won't get your money's worth because you opt to pay for a meal one night ... you can order 2 meals in the dining room the next night (or EVERY NIGHT) or spend 1 whole day just eating! Trust me, you will have plenty of opportunity to "make your money back" on food This just makes no sense. It's not about trying to stuff yourself at every opportunity -- that's not value; rather, it's about paying AGAIN when you've already paid once. It's about paying ANYTHING given that you've already paid once.

3. Are you going to spend money on soda or alcohol or are you just going to drink water (tea etc)? I am small and simply can't eat as many calories as they present at a typical meal. I usually skip the bread and stick to water. Otherwise I am uncomfortable later, and my clothes don't fit so well by the end of the cruise.

Even if this isn't an issue for you, the soda/alcohol costs in the MDR or the Windjammer as well, so this is really a moot point -- you neither win nor lose on this one regardless of where you choose to eat. If you would drink a soda/glass of wine in the MDR, you'd probably drink a soda/glass of wine in P/C; and it'd cost the same thing.

4. It is a choice! Yes, but the OP asked why this option is attractive/unattractive to people, and I answered the question. I don't think anyone was remotely confused about whether this is a choice.

Archived