travel insurance info- please help!

sunflwr19

We just found out that my boyfriend's grandmother is dying. They are giving her a couple of months to live. We have a cruise planned at the end of April. I have looked into travel insurance, in case anything happens to her. However, it seems to me that it would not cover it because she is not an immediate family member. Am I correct? If so, what are my other options?

I don't know if this is an option for you (and it's not a very good one), but one time my mom and her DH had a cruise booked and could not go with not very much notice. Their airfare was a loss, but they were able reassign the cruise to other people who could go (change the names). They actually offered the cruise up to any relatives who could make it on short notice and ate the cost, but at least the cruise did not go to waste.

I wonder if your cruise company would allow you to move your reservation to a later sailing date if you did it now? Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Guest cruzr44
We just found out that my boyfriend's grandmother is dying. They are giving her a couple of months to live. We have a cruise planned at the end of April. I have looked into travel insurance, in case anything happens to her. However, it seems to me that it would not cover it because she is not an immediate family member. Am I correct? If so, what are my other options?

You would have to have purchased the insurance within two weeks of the original booking to cover preexisting conditions (even for his grandmother). Otherwise, if final payment has not been made I would say to cancel for a full refund and rebook purchasing the insurance (not cruiseline insurance, more expensive and does not cover preexisting conditions). Check with your TA about cancellation penalties. Good luck to you and your BF's grandmother. Any other questions drop me an E-mail.

mx55mom@yahoo.com

Guest cruzr44
We have already made the final payment :( Thanks for the suggestions so far

I just read another thread and someone paid "extra" to get the insurance that covered preexisting conditions. They bought their insurance after the first two weeks of booking. So maybe it is possible.

Archived