New Passport Requirements

andreabean0929

Hey All,

This may be old news (and am sorry if it is to some of you), but I was filling out my funpass on Carnival's website and under the passport information it said in red letters that passports will soon be required for all cruises. Just wanted to put that out there for those who do not have passports yet.

Hey All,

This may be old news (and am sorry if it is to some of you), but I was filling out my funpass on Carnival's website and under the passport information it said in red letters that passports will soon be required for all cruises. Just wanted to put that out there for those who do not have passports yet.

It has said that for about 4 years now. There are currently NO plans or talk of plans to change the 2009 Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

Hey All,

Old news. I kinda figure that is Carnival's way of CYA.

I got my PP the first time this was threatened and I figure my renewal will be done before there are any dramatic changes in the WTI.

For those that don't have one, do whatever. If you are waiting for it to be a "have-to" there will be plenty of advanced warning, I'm sure.

I don't know what the big deal is about getting a passport. Why would you risk not having one. I say get it now, before you wish you had!:)

I also agree with this...you need them to do anything else anyway...plus IF they make them mandatory for all cruise travel I wouldn't be surprised to see the cost go up and the turn around times will surely be FOREVER!

For sheer convenience, I never travel without my passport. It is the easiest way for me to show an official ID.

I think people who travel should really consider having one because it's so much easier than bringing multiple types of identification--yet more chances to lose those documents.

I don't know what the big deal is about getting a passport. Why would you risk not having one. I say get it now, before you wish you had!:)

1. It's not required for closed-loop cruises which are the only out of country travel we are currently doing.

2. There are not plans in the near future to change this exception.

3. The risk of needing one on a closed-loop is extremely low, especially for the length cruises we normally take. The re-assurance of having it is not worth the cost to me. If, by rare chance, something happens we will deal with it. We may be delayed and have additional costs, but we will eventually be allowed back into the US. Again, to us the risk of something happening is small enough to take the chance on not having one.

4. When passports are required for travel we are doing we will get them. Not such a big a deal as you are making it out to be.

1. It's not required for closed-loop cruises which are the only out of country travel we are currently doing.

3. The risk of needing one on a closed-loop is extremely low, especially for the length cruises we normally take. The re-assurance of having it is not worth the cost to me. If, by rare chance, something happens we will deal with it. We may be delayed and have additional costs, but we will eventually be allowed back into the US. Again, to us the risk of something happening is small enough to take the chance on not having one.

4. When passports are required for travel we are doing we will get them. Not such a big a deal as you are making it out to be.

I agree with you on this too. We are still thinking about getting the pass card instead of pp because of price. We are not flyers so no need for pp here. If you are hurt on land (not unconsious) I would do my best to get back on the ship and then treat it from there. Maybe getting insurance for the trip would be a good idea though.

I am not making it a big deal. Just ask yourself this question. Can you guarantee yourself that you will never miss the ship at a port of call? Or that you will never be involved in an accident requiring hospitalization in a foreign county?, or that you will never be hurt or get sick on the ship that will require medivac to the nearest hospital (in a foreign country). Or that a family member left at home will not have an emergency requiring you to fly home immediately. If you can, then don't get a passport. If you can't, which nobody can by the way, then you need a passport.

It's your decision, I don't care if you have one or not. I just think it's better to spend the 90 bucks and be ready for anything, than to wish you had.:D

I agree with you on this too. We are still thinking about getting the pass card instead of pp because of price. We are not flyers so no need for pp here. If you are hurt on land (not unconsious) I would do my best to get back on the ship and then treat it from there. Maybe getting insurance for the trip would be a good idea though.

Personally, I would not get a pp card either. The are only good for land crossings and unless you travelled to Canada/Mexico by land, which we don't, its pretty useless. We do get travel insurance because the chances of needing that (due to the numerous different events they cover) are much greater than the chances of needing a passport. Since I can get travel insurance for 3-4% of the cost of our trip it is worth the cost. In fact our travel insurance is paying for our cruise in November as a replacement for the cruise we missed in July due to a family death the day before our cruise.

I am not making it a big deal. Just ask yourself this question. Can you guarantee yourself that you will never miss the ship at a port of call? Or that you will never be involved in an accident requiring hospitalization in a foreign county?, or that you will never be hurt or get sick on the ship that will require medivac to the nearest hospital (in a foreign country). Or that a family member left at home will not have an emergency requiring you to fly home immediately. If you can, then don't get a passport. If you can't, which nobody can by the way, then you need a passport.

It's your decision, I don't care if you have one or not. I just think it's better to spend the 90 bucks and be ready for anything, than to wish you had.:D

It's not a matter of guaranteeing that nothing will happen. It's the risk/cost of purchasing passports. To me, the chance/risk of the events you mentioned happening during the small amount of time we are on a cruise or in port is so small that it is not worth the cost of purchasing a passport that is not required. To you it is. Since it is not required, then I do not NEED it.

This is true but in today's climate, I would get a passport. The fact that there are no plans to change it means NOTHING. Banning liquids from carryons happened in an instant - no problem one day (NO PLANS TO INSTITUTE CHANGES) - the next day - no liquids. The climate we live in right now lends itself to rapid changes based on events.

The cost of having a passport should not be a limiting factor in getting one. The document is good for 10 years, and the cost is ~$130US now...that is 13 bucks a year...very cheap to be able to travel where ever you want and not have to scramble to get a passport if international travel becomes and option.

Hey All,

.... Carnival has had this on their site for years ..."soon" is relative and doesnt mean they have advance notice that they will be required

This is true but in today's climate, I would get a passport. The fact that there are no plans to change it means NOTHING. Banning liquids from carryons happened in an instant - no problem one day (NO PLANS TO INSTITUTE CHANGES) - the next day - no liquids. The climate we live in right now lends itself to rapid changes based on events.

Apples and Oranges.

The cost of having a passport should not be a limiting factor in getting one. The document is good for 10 years, and the cost is ~$130US now...that is 13 bucks a year...very cheap to be able to travel where ever you want and not have to scramble to get a passport if international travel becomes and option.

That's $130 right now on something that you may or may not need for the next 10 years if you don't travel out of the country again. I don't buy this $13 dollars a year business...It's due when you apply not on a payment plan. Then multiply times 4 for a family. It is a risk/cost decision that the government allows people to make based on their own budget and comfort level of traveling with out it. It is not required.

If you personally are more comfortable carrying a passport by all means do but why do some insist on using the threat of what may happen to try to coerce others to spend their money on passports when for now they are not needed on a close loop cruise?

There are literally thousands of passengers that cruise each week without passports. There is a higher percentage of passengers who cruise without insurance even though that's off topic but these passengers probably do the same risk/benefit analysis in determining whether to purchase or not.

Also I disagree that today you don't need passports and then the government the next day will decide they will be required. Cruising is a low risk activity as far as security or the exception would not have been put into place to begin with so there will be plenty of notification.

Vinnie

There is no payment plan of $13 a month for 10 years. You pay it all up front.

To the people that don't have them, that's their personal choice and i have no problem with it.:)

Bill

That's $130 right now on something that you may or may not need for the next 10 years if you don't travel out of the country again. I don't buy this $13 dollars a year business...It's due when you apply not on a payment plan. Then multiply times 4 for a family. It is a risk/cost decision that the government allows people to make based on their own budget and comfort level of traveling with out it. It is not required.

I'm an enthusiastic passport holder, but I have to agree with this. When they offer a payment plan, I'll buy the "it's only x dollars per year" argument.

I like to travel to Europe every couple of years, so I have no choice. But I do understand the risk/benefit logic to not getting one.

First thing people gripe about is money for a passport. How the H can you afford to cruise if $130. is a problem to cover 10 years.?. We have had a passport for 30 years.

Because some of us aren't wealthy and have to save up for a cruise, just like any vacation.;) I guess its because we've only done 1 cruise so far and I don't see spending the extra. I still can't figure out how ppl have so many cruises lined up like you do. Where do you ppl work? We are in the wrong line of work I guess.

I guess to each his own. I've had a passport for 62 years and use it for ID even on domestic air travel. Of course you must have it for any air travel out of the US but I guess cruisers all just go the Caribbean. If you cruise the Med or Scandanavia you will need it.

The first time application is $130 but renewals are now just $90, again for 10 years. I haven't always renewed every 10 years. You can have a 4 year gap to renew without doing a complete application again. The other thing is how many take one cruise and never go back? It just gives me peace of mind to know that I can go anywhere I want in the world on short notice when an opportunity comes along. (Not any hostile countries!)

Archived