Oooooohhh the horror

There were some college students that decided to do a "study" on the homeless guys near olympic park in Atlanta to see how much they would earn. Between the "panhandling" and the government entitlements, they earned what was the equivalent of $70K a year! :eek: That was the year my son was in grad school at Ga Tech, so around 2004-5. I feel sorry for the children who are put in this situation, but not the adults. Most of them are addicts or mentally ill. Except for those few who beg and make good money.

Oops, sorry... off topic, but the dumpster dive conversation got me going!:rolleyes:

I would HOPE those are not going through garbage for food. I can believe it though that pan handlers make that much-I am very suspicious of signs that say "will work for food." I will help out someone I know personally, but never a stranger.

Read "dumpster" or garbage bin. (We have neighbours who are British, we've learned to translate :) ) And yes, around here, recycling at the bin and re-using is a regular pastime.

Close, but not quite.

A "skip" is the same as "dumpster". A "tip" is where they all go - aka the dump or tipping facility.

If the tip where the OP lives is anything like the last three cities I've lived in, you separate your rubbish as you get rid of it. There will be a huge bin for cardboard, one for electrical items, one for broken furniture, one for general garbage, one for clothing, etc. Usually the clothing one is like a covered van so the items stay dry and can be used again - they are usually sorted out and redistributed to charity shops.

At our local tip, there are attendants watching the dumping of items, and if someone drops something in that is in the wrong bin, or if there's something that looks recyclable or reusable, they pull it out and keep it out of the landfill. Our council can boast of a 75% recycle rate of all the rubbish that comes in, which I think is pretty fantastic!

So hopefully, if the OP's husband dropped bags of clothes in, the attendants will have seen what they were and they would have been sent to the charity shops (unless husband actually put them in the clothing pile himself).

OP - go shopping and have fun! I'm sorry about your lost clothes, but hopefully you'll find some new things you love just as much :)

Close, but not quite.

If the tip where the OP lives is anything like the last three cities I've lived in, you separate your rubbish as you get rid of it. There will be a huge bin for cardboard, one for electrical items, one for broken furniture, one for general garbage, one for clothing, etc. Usually the clothing one is like a covered van so the items stay dry and can be used again - they are usually sorted out and redistributed to charity shops.

At our local tip, there are attendants watching the dumping of items, and if someone drops something in that is in the wrong bin, or if there's something that looks recyclable or reusable, they pull it out and keep it out of the landfill. Our council can boast of a 75% recycle rate of all the rubbish that comes in, which I think is pretty fantastic!

Yes, and then they take it home and sell it. My DH knew a guy who was employed at our local recycling site and he made quite a lot of money by 'selling on' decent items that people were throwing out. Think lawnmowers, repairable computers, toys, etc - the list was endless.

Close, but not quite.

Yes, and then they take it home and sell it. My DH knew a guy who was employed at our local recycling site and he made quite a lot of money by 'selling on' decent items that people were throwing out. Think lawnmowers, repairable computers, toys, etc - the list was endless.

That is great- I wish it was like that here. Where I live, we have to pay more for our garbage pick up if we want it recycled-isn't that sad? There are no government programs taking care of that here. I now see why the OP said someone got the use of her stuff.

Close, but not quite.

That's such a shame. I've seen our guys go through the bins, pull things out, and put them in the correct bins, and there's several charities attached that refurbish items out of this site - I'm sure the odd thing slips through but I don't think anyone is making a profit out of it. Or, at least if they are, they are keeping their mouth shut.

On the plus side, it may be sold on, but at least it's not in the landfill! I can't believe what some people throw away.

Archived