Grecian splendor port and tour advice

dynamitedeb

Mr husband and I and another couple are on board Costa Fortuna on 18th Oct on the Grecian Splendor cruise. Please has anyone got any advice on the ports on this cruise and whether it is advisable to take Costas expensive excursions or should we go it alone. The ports are Venice ( which we know quite well so should be no probs there) Bari, Katakolon, Mykynos, Santorini Dubrovnik and Rhodes( please excuse spelling on some of the ports!!) Our friends like a bit of history and my DH and I are very partial to finding a taverna and having a beer or 2- so we want to do a bit of both. Any advice on tours, the ship, food etc and the X1 package would be greatly appreciated-- thank you

Bari - it´s just a short stop, I wouldn´t take an excursion here, just wander into town, maybe take a look into the cathedral which is quite interesting and head back for lunch.

Katakolon, if you are not opposed to some history yourself, go by taxi (defintely worth it if you are 4 people) to olympia, the museum is worth it.

Afterwards return to Katakolon with some time to spare and sit down in one of the cafes / bars by the waterfront for your drinks. If you are lucky your ship is right there in front of you, so it´s an amazing sight.

Mykynos, I dearly hope it´s an evening stop. If so, and you don´t tender, get the shuttle tickets by costa as the dock is quite a way from downtown on dark streets. Head into town early, visit the windmills, take some pictures an d then head into one of the restaurants by the sea for drinks and real greek food.

Santorini - well Costa´s excursions are quite expensive, however they tender those on ship excursions at another port than all the independent ones. So getting onto the island earlier might be worth it. We´ve been to Oia and I absolutely loved the place. There was enough time after the excursion to wander around fira and to take the skyride down to the dock. The steps are hard to walk and are used by the donkeys, too...

Dubrovnik - is a wonderful town, with a fantastic old town. Normally Costa tenders you right into the old port. From there you can climb the city wall (at a fee) and walk all around the old town. Afterwards there a chances for drinks. I dind´t do a ship sponsered excursion so no comments there.

Rhodes - a port I yet have to visit, but as my parents said it´s easily done on your own.

Maybe you should head over to the port boards for further info on how to do these ports individually.

If you decide to go with Costa, do so, the excursions are not bad, I´ve done quite a few myself, but they tend to be a bit expensive.

Archived