Roll call : Silver Wind 19 April 2011 Lisbon to Rome

pegsammax

• 6 months later...

Peggy,

My wife and I will be on this cruise. This is our first SS adventure. We booked in January. When the cruise is finished at the port of Civitavecchia, are you heading for the airport or for the historic center of Rome? We plan to spend a few days in Rome and are looking to share transportation to the city with someone. Taxis for 2 are very expensive and trains are a hassle with all the luggage. SS does not offer a transfer into Rome, only a tour ending with a drop off at the Regina Baglioni.

SEABREEZE TWO

We're actually headed straight to the airport, as we're not able to spend any time in Rome on this trip. I wish we sharing a taxi into the city with you! It sounds better than heading home.

Peggy

I am on this cruise and need to go to Rome at the end of the cruise to catch a train to Venice. We will probably check out some sights in Rome before we get the train later in the afternoon. My husband and I are interested in sharing a taxi, that would be great. I know that Seabreeze Two was interested in the Spain Day Tour to Grananda from port in Malaga and Seville from Cadiz. Anyone else interested? It is less $ than the SS excursion and I understand they are the tour company that Seabourn uses. They seem to have a good reputation. Check their website out. I too have never been on a SS cruise.

Hi, LUVRFL,

Thanks for offering to share a taxi to the city of Rome. Our destination is the Pantheon area, the location of our hotel, the Albergo del Senato. Have you thought about what sites you will see and where you will stow your luggage while doing so? Do you wish to keep the taxi for touring around Rome? I ask since we need to tell the service how long we need them. It is probably cheaper and easier to book the service just to Rome. Then visit the sites. Then take a taxi to your train. You might be able to park your luggage at our hotel, but I cannot speak for them.

The next question is how we meet since we are both using pen names. Do you know how? I see we are both new users of this website.

Also, the service I used once before (Zelit Limousine) has vehicles of all sizes. So a group of 6 would reduce the per person costs even more.

SEABREEZE TWO

We are going to the same area in Rome! Thank you for the offer to stow the luggage. We are staying at the Hotel Isa the following week in Rome and they are keeping our extra bag for the week and will hold onto our other traveling bag for the day. The hotel is near the Pantheon, in the Pratti region. We booked the train from Rome to Venice so we need to be at the train station by 2:30. We will have only a short amount of time to hang out. We will definitely need a taxi from Civitavecchia to Rome. I am happy to meet you! I am just learning to use this website too! I knew it was holy week but I figured I could book any excusions dealing with SS when I got on the ship if spain day tours didn't work out. Right?

Your hotel is across the river, on the Vatican side, which is nevertheless fairly close to the Pantheon. Please note that I cannot speak for my hotel, Albergo del Senato, as to whether they will accept your luggage for a few hours. I suspect it depends on the personality of who is at the desk. I am very aware that it is Holy Week for some of our shore excursions. The Easter break is the very reason I can be away! I have not seen in my research any indication that the main sights of Seville and Granada are closed. The only thought that crosses my mind is that there might be processions on the streets that delay traffic. I assume that the local guides are more aware of such circumstances than we could ever be. So I will let them address those issues and enjoy the excursion, whether on SS or Spain Day Tours. SS cruisers do not seem so active on these boards. So it looks now as we will be on the SS shore excursions.

SEABREEZE TWO

We can share transportation into Rome. Good idea. What is the cost? We each have a small to medium size suitcase. We can be dropped off near your hotel as we have an arrangement for our bags at the hotel we plan to return to later in the week. Thanks!

For the cost estimate I went to the Zelit Limousine website. I know them because I used them in 2008. The cost for 4 people is listed at 140 euros. It does not say anything about charging for luggage. As I recall there was no charge for luggage in 2008. Nor do I know if there will be a charge for a drop off at 2 hotels. But I can email them if all this sounds OK with you. I have not had time to research other options this year, but when I did in 2008 they were among the best.

SEABREEZE TWO

Hello there Seabreeze Two! I am fine with the price with Zelit and with the little bit of research I did, they seem reputable and reliable. My husband and I are okay with it so go ahead let them know we need their service. Happy to have someone to split the cost with. We are excited about getting away as I am sure you guys are too! Are you spending any extra time in Lisbon?

Because of the drop-off at 2 hotels, the price would be 150 euros rather than 140. Of course, split two ways that is only 5 euros more per couple. Is that OK? If so, it may be time for each of us to know who we are so we can finalize this arrangement. Please email me at fgpolk@hotmail.com and put LUVRFL in the subject line.

SEABREEZE TWO

Archived