Who's done a World Cruise???

CALMOM

on next years world cruise on the Dawn Princess out of Sydney commencing the 25th May 2011 there is 17 sectors to choose ranging from 13 nights right thru to 104 nights

You wouldn't by any chance, have a extra cabin for me, would you? :D

i dont think i could go the distance....too long for me

they have the sectors on the aussie online sites

I se that you have done the Sydney to New Zealand cruise, how was it? I have always wanted to do it but I don't think I could handle the 14 - 15 hour flight. I would need several sedatives :eek:

I se that you have done the Sydney to New Zealand cruise, how was it? I have always wanted to do it but I don't think I could handle the 14 - 15 hour flight. I would need several sedatives :eek:

the cruise to NZ was very good but it the South Island it can get very cold and Milford Sound is so nice....someone from the p&o australia board posted some pics...have a look

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1266249

it would be worthwhile breaking your journey in Hawaii and then its only 9 hours to Sydney and see our country

rkmw

We are considering a world cruise when we retire in a few years. We were looking at the Dawn Princess from Sydney but the cabins are so small I think I would go stir crazy. We have been in a mini suite and they are wonderful but paying $100,000 for the both of us is a bit rich. Balcony cabins are very small.

So we just booked a 3 dayer Sydney to Brisbane on P & O UK's Oriana which will be on a world cruise and will be in Australia in November. It will give us a chance to see what that ship is like and if the cabins would be livable for such a long time. It is also much cheaper (go figure)!

We came back in June from the 2010 Pacific Princess World Cruise ! Had a fantastic time. We had over 60 Cruise Critic members onboard and made friends for life . We have already met with 8 of them over the months and some of us are traveling together in 2011 (not the World Cruise - darn).

About 300 of us did the full WC and the rest came & went during the 4 segments and most of the segment cruisers did not want to get off when their seg. was over, they wished that they had signed on for more.

We are Elite now but only Platinum during the cruise, so we had to either put our items in the bags for the ship laundry to do or own in the 1 (only) laundry room with 4 W & 4 D that were not always in working order.:( But the maintenance men worked as fast as they could to keep them all fixed.

Sea Days we would fil them up with classes, talking in groups over coffee, lecturers, port talks, snoozing, enjoying the balcony and about once every 10 days have a CC lunch in the dining room and once every segment and at the end - have a CC meeting that seemed to take up the whole morning - alot of laughs and talking abut upcoming ports, etc.

Some people on some days would complain about the cruise being 'too long' then the next port would come along and the whining would stop. If you have your own interests/hobbies or want to develop a new one - bring your own stuff, don't wait for the ship to entertain you every minute - those were the whiners !

We would do it again - just not right away but over 100 signed up onboard for the 2011 cruise

Any other questions, let me know,

Check the blog, www.pacificprincessworldcruise2010.blogspot.com , Ken & Sara did a wonderful job.

The end of the cruise is in Rome but we wanted to go completely 'Around the World' by ship. So we stayed in Italy for 4 days thn took the Eurodam for 10 days to London for 3 days then the Cunard QM2 to New York. That was fun and ran into people from the WC on both of those ships.

Sad day when it was over, the crew & staff were great and the food - Yum, (only gained 7 lbs )

Mary Ann

I have not done it yet ! It may be my retirement gift to myself (or sooner if I hit the lottery).

No problem with sea days - I think they are needed to recover from the port days, especially since most of the passengers will be older and may not be able to keep up the pace of visiting a port many days in the row.

Most of the recovering we did was from the very hot ports (Dubai, Oman, India, Vanuatu - just to name a few ) not from the pace of the tours.

The Med cruises are alot more port intensive than this cruise was.

Most of the full World Cruisers were in their 60s, some in their 40s and one couple who worked on the ship in their cabin, as they had a computer-based business that could be done from anywhere. The segment cruisers usually had work to get back home to - so they were younger.

No one was tripping over canes, walkers, wheelchairs and the like. But I do remember one wacky guy in a scooter that only went fast:eek:.

M.A.

Archived