Who's done a World Cruise???

CALMOM

I was curious, who has done a World Cruise, 100+ days. My questions are:

1. When did you go?

2. Have you done it more then once?

3. Was it too many days on a ship?

4. What kind of person does a cruise, like this? Retired, Working or RICH:D

5. What is the one main benefit to a World Cruise?

6. Did you gain 100 lbs or more from all that great food?

7. What type of a cabin did you have?

If you have not done a World Cruise, 100+ days, then why haven't you? What would convince you to go on this type of cruise?

I haven't had the honor because of finances but hope to someday. Just as soon as, I have about $50K & I don't know what to do with it, I'll be booking it.

Thanks for participating. I posted this on Princess because it is the only cruise line I would consider for this type of cruise.

Haven't been on a world cruise - would love to do one, but wife has set an arbitrary limit of 30 days away from home.

As far as too many sea days - not for me - I love them.

Weight gain - I doubt it - I have an overactive metabolism, and am rail thin, regardless of how much I do or don't eat (my daughters hate me for that).

I would be very happy with a midships oceanview or midships balcony cabin.

Nope, have not done one, but would LOVE to. The financial aspect is probably the biggest reason why not, but closely following that is trying to convince my boss they could do without me for that long and really still NEED me at all. :D

Personally, 100 plus days would be too many on a little ship for us. We like 20-30 days max. Then we're ready to head for home. Miss our kids and grandkids and especially our BED!!! I do enjoy reading the "live froms" of world cruisers, incidentally!!

I was just looking at the Princess world cruises this morning! The longest I've done was 14 days in Asia and don't think I would do much more than that because we have pets. I think I'd have to get off the ship after 21 days max...but who knows since I've never actually done one. :p

The idea of a World Cruise sounds fabulous but I am not sure about that long away from our grandkids. I never thought I would be one of "those grandparents" but I am :eek::D

Maybe when our grandkids are older this won't be an issue but right now they are babies....including one on the way.

Our longest cruise has been 18 days. We loved every minute. We are taking a 28 day cruise to Hawaii/Tahiti in October 2011. Will see how I feel after that cruise.

$$ would be a huge consideration at this point in our lives.

Cheers, Denise

Another haven't done one. This is my ultimate fantasy cruise when I retire. Longest I've done is 18 days twice with one more next October. Right now work would precludes taking off 100+ days. My retirement is between 3-6 years away. When I retire, I will get to cash out all my time. It will be a very sizable check:) Who knows what will happen then. One thing that has always made me wonder is how does one eat for 100+ days....:):):)

I would LOVE to do a world cruise of 100+ days, and tho I love my pups and my grandson, I would sign on in a heartbeat.

The price and the time away from work make that impossible right now, but I am looking at a 35 day segment of a world cruise with Princess right now. It can be a test-drive.

I love sea days and the exotic ports equally, so I can't imagine getting bored. As for the weight gain...hmmm....:confused:

I've never done a World Cruise, but I can answer re: food and weight. DH and I have done 31, 30, 28, 23, etc. days of cruising in a row, generally as B2Bs (DH says he will NEVER cruise a single cruise longer than 20 days or so, but that's another story). Inevitably, somewhere around Day 8 or 9, the food loses it's allure. It still tastes wonderful, of course, but there's not the sense of "I have to have an appie AND a soup AND a salad AND and entree, etc." We begin enjoying dinners in the buffet occasionally, or dining on soup and salad in the dining room. And from Day 1, we never have breads or rolls, and breakfast is always hot or cold cereal and fruit. And we walk a lot. It all helps.

A week long cruise is a sprint...longer cruises are marathons, and one must employ a lot more moderation in everything- food, drink, gambling and shopping.

I have too many people and things and experiences I love at home to do a World Cruise right now. Maybe someday. DH...never!

We did 60 days last year on the Princess Star. We sailed Sydney to LA and then to Rio. Loved it all. We went through a wide range of temps so depending on the itinerary you likley need lots of luggage. Being elite helps save lots of dollars on laundry.

We are in mid 50s and just retired. We book inside cabins to save money. We are only in the cabin to sleep and change for dinner so the view is not important to us. If you are used to over eating on 7 day cruises, you have to learn to pace yourself or excersise more. On the longer cruises there are 50% plus sea days so you need to enjoy them. The down side of the world cruises that Princess offers is they have no anytime dinning. Even if you changed dinner mates with every segment, getting a table with people you don't enjoy for several weeks could be an issue.

Longer cruises tend to have a greater international guest mix.

I do plan on doing an around the world cruise but it would be several cruise patched together with some land based time between segments.

I was curious, who has done a World Cruise, 100+ days. My questions are:

1. When did you go?

2. Have you done it more then once?

3. Was it too many days on a ship?

4. What kind of person does a cruise, like this? Retired, Working or RICH:D

5. What is the one main benefit to a World Cruise?

6. Did you gain 100 lbs or more from all that great food?

7. What type of a cabin did you have?

1. January 2014 (coming up) to celebrate 40th birthday

2. No, but if I live through the first one I'd love to do a 2nd

3. No WAY. Never too many.

4. Working

5. Loads of different places in one trip

6. I sure hope not!

7. Balcony (doubtful I'll splurge for a mini)

Inevitably, somewhere around Day 8 or 9, the food loses it's allure. It still tastes wonderful, of course, but there's not the sense of "I have to have an appie AND a soup AND a salad AND and entree, etc." We begin enjoying dinners in the buffet occasionally, or dining on soup and salad in the dining room. And from Day 1, we never have breads or rolls, and breakfast is always hot or cold cereal and fruit. And we walk a lot. It all helps.

A week long cruise is a sprint...longer cruises are marathons, and one must employ a lot more moderation in everything- food, drink, gambling and shopping.

I have too many people and things and experiences I love at home to do a World Cruise right now. Maybe someday. DH...never!

I totally agree. Weight for me on a longer voyage has never been a problem, in fact, it usually has me dropping a few pounds (which normally begins in the middle of the second week when as you say, the food looses it's allure). 7 day cruises I tend to gain a few pounds, but those longer ones, never!

We did a world cruise on Pacific Princess Jan 2008, 102 days. Loved every minute of it. Did laundry in the laundry room (now we are elite and Princess does our laundry) I gained 9 lbs. The next year we did 68 days around South America on Holland America on another small ship. I gained 5 lbs. Great cruise but I like Princess better. If I could afford it, I'd live on a cruise ship all the time but the smallest cabin is one million dollars and the monthly fees are $4,000. We are retired and this past June was our 56 anniversary.

1. January 2014 (coming up) to celebrate 40th birthday

2. No, but if I live through the first one I'd love to do a 2nd

3. No WAY. Never too many.

4. Working

5. Loads of different places in one trip

6. I sure hope not!

7. Balcony (doubtful I'll splurge for a mini)

Wow, which cruise are you doing? Do you know if the 100+ day cruises are strictly for that itinerary or do they add and unload passengers at certain ports? I just find it hard to believe that any cruise line has a ship that is exclusive for 100+ days and has a full ship.

I guess what you would find is a ship load of lucky, rich passengers :D Maybe the would consider adopting me, I'm only in my mid 50's ;)

We did 60 days last year on the Princess Star. We sailed Sydney to LA and then to Rio. Loved it all. We went through a wide range of temps so depending on the itinerary you likley need lots of luggage. Being elite helps save lots of dollars on laundry.

We are in mid 50s and just retired. We book inside cabins to save money. We are only in the cabin to sleep and change for dinner so the view is not important to us. If you are used to over eating on 7 day cruises, you have to learn to pace yourself or exercise more. On the longer cruises there are 50% plus sea days so you need to enjoy them. The down side of the world cruises that Princess offers is they have no anytime dinning. Even if you changed dinner mates with every segment, getting a table with people you don't enjoy for several weeks could be an issue.

Longer cruises tend to have a greater international guest mix.

I do plan on doing an around the world cruise but it would be several cruise patched together with some land based time between segments.

Excellent idea.....:):):)

Bob

We did a world cruise on Pacific Princess Jan 2008, 102 days. Loved every minute of it. Did laundry in the laundry room (now we are elite and Princess does our laundry) I gained 9 lbs. The next year we did 68 days around South America on Holland America on another small ship. I gained 5 lbs. Great cruise but I like Princess better. If I could afford it, I'd live on a cruise ship all the time but the smallest cabin is one million dollars and the monthly fees are $4,000. We are retired and this past June was our 56 anniversary.

Now you are some serious cruisers :) Now let's see, if you plan on cruising at least 40, 100+ days cruises, then it would actually pay to purchase the smallest cabin :eek: However, I always feel part of the excitement of cruising is booking a different cabin on different ships.

Congrats on all your cruises, you are very lucky.

Wow, which cruise are you doing? Do you know if the 100+ day cruises are strictly for that itinerary or do they add and unload passengers at certain ports? I just find it hard to believe that any cruise line has a ship that is exclusive for 100+ days and has a full ship.

I guess what you would find is a ship load of lucky, rich passengers :D Maybe the would consider adopting me, I'm only in my mid 50's ;)

Many different segments are available.

Many different segments are available.

???? do you mean that you may have a 102 day cruise but the ship might have 4 different cruises going on at the same time. Wow, I think I just confused myself.

In other words the ship would not be just for the passengers, that booked a 102 day cruise, correct?

???? do you mean that you may have a 102 day cruise but the ship might have 4 different cruises going on at the same time. Wow, I think I just confused myself.

In other words the ship would not be just for the passengers, that booked a 102 day cruise, correct?

All of the above. :eek:

Archived