What do you tip the mariachi street bands?

B&R626

I know....not another tipping question, but i haven't seen it addressed and would appreciate some advice. Whenever we are in port in Cozumel or Progresso at a restaurant or bar, a trio of entertainers will stop by to perform a serenade. What is an appropriate tip? Thanks!

I know....not another tipping question, but i haven't seen it addressed and would appreciate some advice. Whenever we are in port in Cozumel or Progresso at a restaurant or bar, a trio of entertainers will stop by to perform a serenade. What is an appropriate tip? Thanks!

If they stop by your table as part of their wanderings and play a part of a tune while there, then maybe $3-$6 US ($1-$2 per performer). If they stop by and you request a song and they play it or more at your table, then $9-$12 US ($3-$4 pp). And that's total tip from your entire party.

Thank you for your reply. One of my favorite things to do is just sit and relax and enjoy just being there, including the atmosphere and music. We usually hand one of the three a $5 and I was wondering if we were in the ballpark of what is appropriate, even though they seem appreciative of that amount. It does start to add up after you've had the third of fourth group stop by - but what the heck, we're on a cruise!

Can't wait until the next one!

Archived